Bulldog 16meg - Misleading Advert

Old May 14th 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Bulldog 16meg - Misleading Advert

Having just seen the advert for Bulldog 16meg on TV, the voiceover mentions
getting up to 16meg when you buy a Bulldog phoneline.

Surely he means, when you rent a line rather than buy it.

Or does he mean that you buy it and therefore as you own it you won't have
to pay mothly rental on it?

Or is this Bulldog, changing the rules of telecoms, such as unlimited being
limited ....

Old May 14th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

"Steve" wrote in message
Having just seen the advert for Bulldog 16meg on TV, the voiceover
mentions getting up to 16meg when you buy a Bulldog phoneline.

Surely he means, when you rent a line rather than buy it.

Or does he mean that you buy it and therefore as you own it you won't have
to pay mothly rental on it?

Or is this Bulldog, changing the rules of telecoms, such as unlimited
being limited ....

IMHO the current Tiscali ad is also misleading... Big letters 'UNLIMITED
BROADBAND', then at the bottom in small print 'usage shaping applies'.

Clive

Old May 14th 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyer

"Steve" wrote in message
Having just seen the advert for Bulldog 16meg on TV, the voiceover
mentions getting up to 16meg when you buy a Bulldog phoneline.

Surely he means, when you rent a line rather than buy it.

surely they do.

Or does he mean that you buy it and therefore as you own it you won't have
to pay mothly rental on it?

unlikely, even if you laid your own cable to the exchange, you'd have to pay
to connect to the llu equipment ;-)
With Bulldog, you can either have a new line, or "port" an existing one from
BT or whoever, it's your choice, either way, you pay line rental.

Or is this Bulldog, changing the rules of telecoms, such as unlimited
being limited ....

maybe it's just an error?.

P.

Old May 14th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

I think he means buy as in "when you buy your phone service from Bull****".

Old May 14th 06, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Clive" wrote in message

IMHO the current Tiscali ad is also misleading... Big letters 'UNLIMITED
BROADBAND', then at the bottom in small print 'usage shaping applies'.

I have to agree with this. I am so fed up with isps saying UNLIMITED when
it is not the case. I really want to contact the advertising watchdog but
don't want to be seen as an anal complainer.

Old May 14th 06, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Of course. I know that's what it means, but it's not what is said. And as an
advert it is what is said, not implied, that counts.
I hate to be a pedant, but I would expect a company (I hesitate to say
respected company) such as Bulldog/C&W to have enough sense to tell the
truth in an advert and not tell me that I can buy a line, when I quite
clearly can't!

Old May 15th 06, 06:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gort

I have to agree with this. I am so fed up with isps saying UNLIMITED when
it is not the case. I really want to contact the advertising watchdog but
don't want to be seen as an anal complainer.

I did it once about a PC World ad on TV, turns out so did 127 others. PC
World were ordered to pull the ad just before christmas !!!
DO IT.

Dave

Old May 15th 06, 06:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Irma Troll

Why don't you contact the Advertising Standards Authority? (asa.org.uk)
http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_complain/

The more people compain, then something will be done about it...

Old May 15th 06, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

Steve wrote:
Of course. I know that's what it means, but it's not what is said.
And as an advert it is what is said, not implied, that counts.

If only the internet worked like that. But all too often, people are now
reading posts with their own spin and taking what is implied rather than
what is said.