filters?

Old May 14th 06, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
evie

Default filters?

I have recently moved to a broadband connection. I have a speedtouch
modem and a couple of filters, I need to buy extra filters. I was
looking on ebay and can see that some are quite cheap, are these Ok? or
should I stick to speedtouch ones or other more expensive ones?

Many thanks

Old May 14th 06, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"evie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have recently moved to a broadband connection. I have a speedtouch
modem and a couple of filters, I need to buy extra filters. I was
looking on ebay and can see that some are quite cheap, are these Ok? or
should I stick to speedtouch ones or other more expensive ones?

You should only need one filter per master/extension socket. You don't need
a filter for every telephony device providing they all go through one.
For example, I have one of those 3 socket phone adaptors and plug it into
filter then filter goes into phoneline. That way I have 3 devices into one
filter.

Old May 14th 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton Gijsen

Beck wrote:
"evie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have recently moved to a broadband connection. I have a speedtouch
modem and a couple of filters, I need to buy extra filters. I was
looking on ebay and can see that some are quite cheap, are these Ok? or
should I stick to speedtouch ones or other more expensive ones?

You should only need one filter per master/extension socket. You don't need
a filter for every telephony device providing they all go through one.
For example, I have one of those 3 socket phone adaptors and plug it into
filter then filter goes into phoneline. That way I have 3 devices into one
filter.

....is the correct answer!
Old May 14th 06, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 14 May 2006, "Beck" wrote:

"evie" wrote in message

I have recently moved to a broadband connection. I have a speedtouch
modem and a couple of filters, I need to buy extra filters. I was
looking on ebay and can see that some are quite cheap, are these Ok? or
should I stick to speedtouch ones or other more expensive ones?

I've used a variety of filters and from the cheap ( 2 quid) to ones up to
8 quid have found little to choose between them. Check www.solwise.co.uk
as they've been doing telecom kit for years, have some low cost filters,
and will probably have minimum cost for P+P if you are only buying 1 or 2.

A problem with some sellers on Ebay will be the fact they're selling s/h
and there's little guarantee a device is working (ask yourself why they're
getting rid of filters, unless they're selling them as new items... also I'd
watch for excessive postage - 2 quid would be the max I'd consider, and I
doubt Solwise charge much more, but you've a guarantee of some quality.

Just don't pay a tenner or more at PC World or Maplins, as you're unlikely
to be doing more than pay for a brand name, staff costs, store overheads,
and profits for shareholders/senior management...

For example, I have one of those 3 socket phone adaptors and plug it into
filter then filter goes into phoneline.

That's how I've done it too, on one line, but much depends on how the wiring
has been done in the house - sometimes there will already be a series of
extensions wired into the master socket, in which case there may well
be a need for several more filters, given number of phones, etc.
Old May 14th 06, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Don't use the cheapo T shaped ones. Get good quality ones from a supplier
like clarity IT.

--
Peter Crosland

Old May 14th 06, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message , Peter
Crosland wrote
Don't use the cheapo T shaped ones. Get good quality ones from a supplier
like clarity IT.

See also

http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old May 14th 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

To save the problems of cheapo filters reducing SNR and consequently speed
fit a filtered faceplate. Its not necessary on every line but saves the eye
sore of filters hanging from every extension.

Dan

Old May 14th 06, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 14 May 2006 23:01, "Dan" wrote:

saves the eyesore of filters hanging from every extension.

Depends where your extensions are. Personally I don't tend to look out
for phone sockets and filters too often, so any that are plugged in are
not in any way an eyesore to me. No apologies to guests if that's what
they find "interesting" to look at... more fool them :-) Peter M.
Old May 15th 06, 03:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton Gijsen

Peter Crosland wrote:
Don't use the cheapo T shaped ones. Get good quality ones from a supplier
like clarity IT.

I use a BT MF-50 filter. It's excellent. You can pick them up for a few
quid on eBay these days.