Ping Bob Pullen and Plusnet support.

Old May 14th 06, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default Ping Bob Pullen and Plusnet support.

Ticket number 19247892 has been open since 25th April and I am no nearer a
solution. Will you please get your colleagues to stop prevaricating and take
some effective action? TIA.

Peter Crosland

Old May 14th 06, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Ticket number 19247892 has been open since 25th April and I am no nearer a
solution. Will you please get your colleagues to stop prevaricating and
take some effective action? TIA.

I have a feeling there is something wrong with the ticketing system. I have
seen reports of people not having tickets answered or some closed
automatically. Yet myself and others have not had a problem with them
responding to tickets.
Maybe it depends on the depth of the problem and perhaps they are answering
the easy ones first. :-p

Old May 14th 06, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Ticket number 19247892 has been open since 25th April and I am no nearer
a solution. Will you please get your colleagues to stop prevaricating and
take some effective action? TIA.

I have a feeling there is something wrong with the ticketing system. I
have seen reports of people not having tickets answered or some closed
automatically. Yet myself and others have not had a problem with them
responding to tickets.
Maybe it depends on the depth of the problem and perhaps they are
answering the easy ones first. :-p

On this one they keep answering but not solving the problem to do with MAX
DSL speeds. I am 99% sure the problem is the can of worms known as BT! The
Americans would call it a crock!

Peter Crosland

Old May 14th 06, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Balfour

On this one they keep answering but not solving the problem to do
with MAX DSL speeds. I am 99% sure the problem is the can of worms
known as BT! The Americans would call it a crock!

Peter Crosland

Max DSL via PlusNet and BT has driven me crazy recently. "Max DSL
training" started on my line on May 3 and it has been a nightmare ever
since. It is blindingly obvious from my router statistics that my line
cannot support a download connection speed of more than 4 mbps but the
brain dead BT training process insists on repeatedly trying speeds in
the range of 4.6 to 6+ mbps despite numerous router reboots. The result
is that my connection has been going up and down like a yoyo for the
past 12 days.

When will this insanity end?

Alex Balfour

Old May 14th 06, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

"Alex Balfour" wrote in message

On this one they keep answering but not solving the problem to do
with MAX DSL speeds. I am 99% sure the problem is the can of worms
known as BT! The Americans would call it a crock!

Peter Crosland

Max DSL via PlusNet and BT has driven me crazy recently. "Max DSL
training" started on my line on May 3 and it has been a nightmare ever
since. It is blindingly obvious from my router statistics that my line
cannot support a download connection speed of more than 4 mbps but the
brain dead BT training process insists on repeatedly trying speeds in the
range of 4.6 to 6+ mbps despite numerous router reboots. The result is
that my connection has been going up and down like a yoyo for the past 12
days.

When will this insanity end?

Alex Balfour

I agree. BT's implementation of rate adaptive DSL appears to be somewhat
broken on some less than perfect lines. The ISP's are suffering because of
this. Also the fact that most ISP's now have strict caps or traffic shaping
is due to the high backhaul costs BT charge. In irony the costs are kept
high because OFCOM (the company meant to protect consumers etc) are keeping
them high (to prevent BT undercutting the LLU providers) But for the
exchanges that are never going to see LLU, the consumer suffers

The insanity will never end, however it can be relieved by changing to an
ISP that is not so incompetant and dishonest as Plusnet.

Dan

Old May 15th 06, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Alex Balfour wrote:

It is blindingly obvious from my router statistics that my line
cannot support a download connection speed of more than 4 mbps but the
brain dead BT training process insists on repeatedly trying speeds in
the range of 4.6 to 6+ mbps despite numerous router reboots. The result
is that my connection has been going up and down like a yoyo for the
past 12 days.

When will this insanity end?

when you get a better router, or clean up your extension wiring and
filtering, or both.

BT's kit sets a target SNR margin and your brain dead router determines
the speed it can run at to meet that target margin. Clearly it gets it
wrong.

Phil

Old May 15th 06, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"PhilT" wrote in message
oups.com...

Alex Balfour wrote:

It is blindingly obvious from my router statistics that my line
cannot support a download connection speed of more than 4 mbps but the
brain dead BT training process insists on repeatedly trying speeds in
the range of 4.6 to 6+ mbps despite numerous router reboots. The result
is that my connection has been going up and down like a yoyo for the
past 12 days.

When will this insanity end?

when you get a better router, or clean up your extension wiring and
filtering, or both.

BT's kit sets a target SNR margin and your brain dead router determines
the speed it can run at to meet that target margin. Clearly it gets it
wrong.

The router does nothing of the sort it's all at the exchange end. It's up
to the BT training process to monitor the SNR and the number of disconnects
at the customer end and adjust the line speed to achieve that magic 6db
noise margin.

Phil

Old May 15th 06, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

WCZ wrote:
"PhilT" wrote in message
oups.com...

BT's kit sets a target SNR margin and your brain dead router determines
the speed it can run at to meet that target margin. Clearly it gets it
wrong.

The router does nothing of the sort it's all at the exchange end. It's up
to the BT training process to monitor the SNR and the number of disconnects
at the customer end and adjust the line speed to achieve that magic 6db
noise margin.

wrong. Link establishment is a negotiation between the CPE and the
DSLAM where the DSLAM signals the target margin to the CPE and the
latter then goes about finding a set of bin/bit combinations that fit
the target margin.

BT's kit can only ever send a different target margin and then
cooperate in the training, it can't set a speed directly when in rate
adaptive mode.

The BT training process that monitors disconnects etc will initially
turn on interleaving and then increase target SNR margin. If the margin
is still sat at 6 dB then there has been no intervention by the BT DLM
kit to increase the target.

Phil

Old May 15th 06, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Alex Balfour wrote:

I don't have any extension wiring and the only device currently
connected to my phone line is a Netgear DG834 router.

occasionally having a microfilter on the line heps its stability, even
though the ADSL port is pass through it puts some components across the
line.

If you believe
that my router is the problem which (preferably wired) router would you
recommend?

what I'm saying is that your router is the thing that negotiates the
connection and sets up the allocation of bits into frequency bins and
hence the speed. If this is very unstable then maybe another device
would do better.

The Belkin 7633 gets a good press as it has some CLI commands to tweak
the SNR margin, so if your connection is flakey you can aim for a
higher SNR margin and lower speed.

The DG834 has a TI chipset, the Belkin has Broadcom. Older speedtouches
have Conexant. Different chipsets get on better with different lines
and often perfrom best if they match the DSLAM chipset.

The Netgear is infamous for its drifting SNR values, where the value
declines over time. If this isn't just a GUI issue it will lead to
retrains when the SNR fals.

Phil

Old May 15th 06, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"PhilT" wrote in message
oups.com...
WCZ wrote:
"PhilT" wrote in message
oups.com...

BT's kit sets a target SNR margin and your brain dead router determines
the speed it can run at to meet that target margin. Clearly it gets it
wrong.

The router does nothing of the sort it's all at the exchange end. It's
up
to the BT training process to monitor the SNR and the number of
disconnects
at the customer end and adjust the line speed to achieve that magic 6db
noise margin.

wrong. Link establishment is a negotiation between the CPE and the
DSLAM where the DSLAM signals the target margin to the CPE and the
latter then goes about finding a set of bin/bit combinations that fit
the target margin.

So you're saying that it's my router that sets the speed and deals with all
the training? How can it do this without additional software? Why does it
take 10 days to train then when surely the router could just keep dropping
the rate until it gets a reliable connection?

BT's kit can only ever send a different target margin and then
cooperate in the training, it can't set a speed directly when in rate
adaptive mode.

The BT training process that monitors disconnects etc will initially
turn on interleaving and then increase target SNR margin. If the margin
is still sat at 6 dB then there has been no intervention by the BT DLM
kit to increase the target.

Interleaving sucks for gaming so I hope that isn't a default.

Phil