Nildram/Zen question

Old May 15th 06, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
K A Nuttall

Default Nildram/Zen question

I'm looking to change ISP, and I am doing my research at the moment.
Nildram and Zen are looking favourite at the moment. But I'm struggling
with the domain/email side of things.

Every ISP I have used since 1995 (Demon, Freeserve and PlusNet) has
provided a subdomain for every account. Consequently, I have always
exploited unlimited email aliases. As far as I am aware, neither Zen
nor Nildram provide this.

I currently host two domains at PlusNet, for web and email. One of the
domain's email is my primary source, so it needs to work reliably.

The two web sites use less than 20MB space altogether, and have a low
traffic demand (less than 1GB/month).

Can anyone familiar with either/both ISP advise on what is possible,
please?

--
K A Nuttall
www.yammer.co.uk
Old May 15th 06, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
K A Nuttall wrote:
I'm looking to change ISP, and I am doing my research at the moment.
Nildram and Zen are looking favourite at the moment. But I'm struggling
with the domain/email side of things.

Every ISP I have used since 1995 (Demon, Freeserve and PlusNet) has
provided a subdomain for every account. Consequently, I have always
exploited unlimited email aliases. As far as I am aware, neither Zen
nor Nildram provide this.

I currently host two domains at PlusNet, for web and email. One of the
domain's email is my primary source, so it needs to work reliably.

The two web sites use less than 20MB space altogether, and have a low
traffic demand (less than 1GB/month).

Can anyone familiar with either/both ISP advise on what is possible,
please?

I can't tell you what's possible - even though I'm with Zen, however,
you can take my advice for what it's worth:

Separate your email and web requirements from your internet connectivity
supplier. (you may use the same companies, but make sure they are setup
as separate accounts, and not tied into your connectivity).

That way, you can chop & change your connectivity supplier while
maintaining your email and web presence.

Register your own domains, or have your existing ones transfered to
an independant supplier.

There are plenty of companys both big and small who'll handle this for
you. The "benchamrk" in the UK is (IMO) Gradwell - http://www.gradwell.net/
but there are many others. Eg. http://www.hostroute.co.uk/
http://www.ukpost.com/ and so on.

Yes, you'll have to pay for it, but you can get some quite good deals
for what you want.

Gordon
Old May 15th 06, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

K A Nuttall wrote:
I'm looking to change ISP, and I am doing my research at the moment.
Nildram and Zen are looking favourite at the moment. But I'm
struggling with the domain/email side of things.

Every ISP I have used since 1995 (Demon, Freeserve and PlusNet) has
provided a subdomain for every account. Consequently, I have always
exploited unlimited email aliases. As far as I am aware, neither Zen
nor Nildram provide this.

I currently host two domains at PlusNet, for web and email. One of the
domain's email is my primary source, so it needs to work reliably.

The two web sites use less than 20MB space altogether, and have a low
traffic demand (less than 1GB/month).

Can anyone familiar with either/both ISP advise on what is possible,
please?

I can partly answer the Nildram email issue. If you get an account name of
BLOGGS, then you will be able to use or anything
else before the @ too. You will also get email for
.

Old May 15th 06, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kev

Hello Gordon,

Separate your email and web requirements from your internet
connectivity supplier. (you may use the same companies, but make sure
they are setup as separate accounts, and not tied into your
connectivity).

That way, you can chop & change your connectivity supplier while
maintaining your email and web presence.

Register your own domains, or have your existing ones transfered to an
independant supplier.

There are plenty of companys both big and small who'll handle this for
you. The "benchamrk" in the UK is (IMO) Gradwell -
http://www.gradwell.net/
but there are many others. Eg. http://www.hostroute.co.uk/
http://www.ukpost.com/ and so on.
Yes, you'll have to pay for it, but you can get some quite good deals
for what you want.

Gordon

Agreed, I use Nildram purely for connectivity, outgoing smtp and news. My
mail and hosting is handled by another company, tollon.net and I register
my domains through ukreg.com .

Kev

Old May 15th 06, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

K A Nuttall wrote:
I'm looking to change ISP, and I am doing my research at the moment.

Finally got fed up with Plusnet Keith? :-)

Nildram and Zen are looking favourite at the moment. But I'm
struggling with the domain/email side of things.

Every ISP I have used since 1995 (Demon, Freeserve and PlusNet) has
provided a subdomain for every account. Consequently, I have always
exploited unlimited email aliases. As far as I am aware, neither Zen
nor Nildram provide this.

I am now with Zen. They do *not* offer unlimited e-mail accounts with just
an ADSL package, which is all I have.

I currently host two domains at PlusNet, for web and email. One of the
domain's email is my primary source, so it needs to work reliably.

Domains and hosting appear to be extra with Zen. IIUC, if you have your own
domain hosted somewhere then you can have unlimited e-mail addresses on that
domain. If that is correct then that will surely apply if your domain is
hosted by Zen?

The two web sites use less than 20MB space altogether, and have a low
traffic demand (less than 1GB/month).

Can anyone familiar with either/both ISP advise on what is possible,
please?

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old May 15th 06, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

On Mon, 15 May 2006 09:04:27 +0000 (UTC), (Gordon
Henderson) wrote:

There are plenty of companys both big and small who'll handle this for
you. The "benchamrk" in the UK is (IMO) Gradwell -
http://www.gradwell.net/

I would concur with your estimation. A class act.

greg
--
Every Villian Is Lemons
Old May 15th 06, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
K A Nuttall

Gordon Henderson wrote in article
:

There are plenty of companys both big and small who'll handle this
for you. The "benchamrk" in the UK is (IMO) Gradwell -
http://www.gradwell.net/ but there are many others. Eg.
http://www.hostroute.co.uk/ http://www.ukpost.com/ and so on.

I was half-thinking that was the only option. Thanks for all the
suggestions, I'll check them all out.

Old May 15th 06, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
K A Nuttall

Grumps wrote in article :

I can partly answer the Nildram email issue. If you get an account
name of BLOGGS, then you will be able to use
or anything else before the @ too. You
will also get email for
.

Yes. That's not really what I'm hoping for. Thanks for clearing that
up.

Old May 15th 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
K A Nuttall

Old Codger wrote in article
:

Finally got fed up with Plusnet Keith? :-)

Alway fed up with PlusNet, Brian. It's more usually a case of 'better
the devil you know'. But they're messing with my email now. There are
limits.

Domains and hosting appear to be extra with Zen. IIUC, if you
have your own domain hosted somewhere then you can have unlimited
e-mail addresses on that domain. If that is correct then that
will surely apply if your domain is hosted by Zen?

What puts me off is the price they charge, which I have to factor-in
with an increase in ISP subscription. It's going to end up costing me
quite a bit more per month - although I admit it's worth paying more to
find an ISP without spurs.

The fact that I've got to find a home for two domains and two small web
sites doesn't help the budgeting.

PlusNet's account package is ideal for me really, it's just a shame
that it's so consistently flaky, and their support staff really
couldn't give a monkey's these days.

Old May 15th 06, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 15 May 2006, K A Nuttall wrote:

The fact that I've got to find a home for two domains and two small
web sites doesn't help the budgeting.

Loads of 'reseller' options that could perhaps serve you - depends on
what you need really... on Ebay and you can probably find something
for $20-30/year which would allow you to host a dozen sites, with a
variety of mail facilities (catch all, POP boxes, forwarding, mail
lists) at no extra cost, with cgi-bin, Perl, PHP, MySQL and so on
plus lots of add-on one-click-install applications (Fantastico).