Datastream/IPStream - whats the difference?

Old May 15th 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
paulfoel

Default Datastream/IPStream - whats the difference?

Whats the difference between these?

Is there an issue migrating away to a new provider if you're on
Datastream?

I'm currently a customer of EFHBroadband (I migrated there about a year
ago from BT). I've heard they use Datastream. Is this correct?

Old May 15th 06, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 15 May 2006, "paulfoel" wrote:

Whats the difference between these? Is there an issue migrating
away to a new provider if you're on Datastream?

If you check www.ADSLguide.org you'll get a better description than mine
but in essence, with DataStream the ISP rents a "pipe" of some capacity
from the exchange (say 4 Mbps) and then it is down to the ISP to share
that with the number of users they have at that exchange. Sometimes it
will work in your favour that the pipe is hardly used, and contention is
not a problem, other times it is the opposite way, and heavily loaded.

With IPStream, BT has somewhat larger pipes from the exchange and there
should be fewer problems. I have used both and had no problems, but see
comments of a negative nature about DataStream. As for migrations, there
was a problem, but I believe BT Wholesale can handle these. So long as
the ISP you are using can/will issue a MAC (which you need when you're
completing the order for the new ISP) then migration goes smoothly.

I'm currently a customer of EFHBroadband (I migrated there about a year
ago from BT). I've heard they use Datastream. Is this correct?

In the past some ISPs used both IPStream and DataStream, and I'd guess at
them using IPStream. Maybe someone on ADSLguide will know, if you don't
get any firm answers posted here. Peter M.
Old May 15th 06, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

paulfoel wrote:

Is there an issue migrating away to a new provider if you're on
Datastream?

there can be. Will they give you a MAC ? If not you can't migrate at
all.

Some ISPs aren't good at receiving migrations from Datastream
providers. You may have to shop around.

http://www.metronet.co.uk/support/br...cts/move.shtml
Q7.

I'm currently a customer of EFHBroadband (I migrated there about a year
ago from BT). I've heard they use Datastream. Is this correct?

I believe so, yes.

Phil