Plusnet Email Status

Old May 15th 06, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Brentnall

Default Plusnet Email Status

Found on Plusnet's 'service status' page

============quote=============
Email Delays (31938) - Update
We have received further reports of lengthy delays on incoming mail,
which we are currently investigating.

We will provide a further update regarding the status of the email
platform within the next few hours
=========unquote==============

Well - I can help you there guys.
Current email status is

broken,
garbage,
long delays,
complete crap,
not worth paying for
and quite a lot of other stuff that I'm far too polite to say on the
newsgroup.

Example - important email about a house purchase - sent at 4:57 Sunday
afternoon, hit Plusnet's servers at 4:57pm - delivered to me at 4:21
(am) on Monday morning..... - twelve hours in transit - I could have
walked there, collected the paper copy and walked back in that time.

....but the good news is - all the Spam is still getting through !
Were'nt you going to 'do something' about that ??

C'mon guys - have you learnt nothing from your appalling performance
over the last few weeks....?

Adrian
Suffolk UK

What's more - it's been unreliable for days, if not weeks.

======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Old May 15th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 15 May 2006, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Example - important email about a house purchase - sent at 4:57 Sunday
afternoon, hit Plusnet's servers at 4:57pm - delivered to me at 4:21
(am) on Monday morning..... - twelve hours in transit - I could have
walked there, collected the paper copy and walked back in that time.

Yes, pretty poor for anything "urgent".

What's more - it's been unreliable for days, if not weeks.

In which case, you've had plenty of time to get yourself a free mail
account elsewhere, or pay for one, if you prefer. Try Fastmail.net,
MailSnare.net, Yahoo.co.uk... even Google offers free mail now :-)

--
Quality e-mail... 10 GB mailbox, 1 GB files, 30 day free trial !
IMAP/SMTP/POP/WAP or point your MX. See http://2238.runbox.com

Old May 15th 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Brentnall

Hi Poster

On Mon, 15 May 2006 18:12:47 +0100, poster
wrote:

On 15 May 2006, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Example - important email about a house purchase - sent at 4:57 Sunday
afternoon, hit Plusnet's servers at 4:57pm - delivered to me at 4:21
(am) on Monday morning..... - twelve hours in transit - I could have
walked there, collected the paper copy and walked back in that time.

Yes, pretty poor for anything "urgent".

We agree on that g

What's more - it's been unreliable for days, if not weeks.

In which case, you've had plenty of time to get yourself a free mail
account elsewhere, or pay for one, if you prefer. Try Fastmail.net,
MailSnare.net, Yahoo.co.uk... even Google offers free mail now :-)

Done that - got one through Lycos, but it doesn't seem to be a great
deal more reliable than PlusNet's feeble offering....

I'd change ISP's in the blink of an eye - but we're moving overseas in
the very near future, and I don't really want to go through all of
that 'twice'.....

It's the ineptitude of Plus's engineers that's so frustrating....
according to their status page the changes they made to sort out
Friday's collapse in email......

"resulted in unforeseen problems on 6 of our 18 mail servers (the same
change was made to all). These 6 mail servers are now showing high
loads, which is why some customers are still seeing lengthy delays to
their email delivery. "

Fix one problem - create another......

They seem to be making very heavy weather of the whole email issue -
not like it's 'new technology' - surely ??

Regards
Adrian

Old May 15th 06, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 15 May 2006 20:20, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Done that - got one through Lycos, but it doesn't seem to be a great
deal more reliable than PlusNet's feeble offering....

Ah well, I guess if you've found it problematic... in any case, it's
usually the very day you want something to come through, when they've
some failure... so it's another true case of sod's law :-) Peter M.
Old May 15th 06, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Brentnall

Hi Peter

On Mon, 15 May 2006 20:47:56 +0100, poster
wrote:

On 15 May 2006 20:20, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Done that - got one through Lycos, but it doesn't seem to be a great
deal more reliable than PlusNet's feeble offering....

Ah well, I guess if you've found it problematic... in any case, it's
usually the very day you want something to come through, when they've
some failure... so it's another true case of sod's law :-) Peter M.

Aint that the truth !

Email's one of those things that you tend to take for granted - until
it all goes pear-shaped....

....selling a house is stressful enough - without messages going
missing for hours....

Had to phone the solicitor this morning and ask them to print out the
email they'd sent to me, and fax it ! ..... - email finally turned up
some hours later......

Grrrr !

Old May 16th 06, 02:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Lee

"Adrian Brentnall" adrian-the papers and the wrote
in message ...

wrote:

On 15 May 2006, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Example - important email about a house purchase - sent at 4:57 Sunday
afternoon, hit Plusnet's servers at 4:57pm - delivered to me at 4:21
(am) on Monday morning..... - twelve hours in transit - I could have
walked there, collected the paper copy and walked back in that time.

Yes, pretty poor for anything "urgent".

We agree on that g

What's more - it's been unreliable for days, if not weeks.

In which case, you've had plenty of time to get yourself a free mail
account elsewhere, or pay for one, if you prefer. Try Fastmail.net,
MailSnare.net, Yahoo.co.uk... even Google offers free mail now :-)

Done that - got one through Lycos, but it doesn't seem to be a great
deal more reliable than PlusNet's feeble offering....

cough It wasn't a freebie offerring but included as part of the package
provided in exchange for a set subscription fee, I believe it's likely to
become a 'value-added'(?) service unless PN can discourage sufficient
numbers of their customers from using it.

I've been using webmail to check for anything urgent & when necessary
copy/pasting it through.

I'd change ISP's in the blink of an eye - but we're moving overseas in
the very near future, and I don't really want to go through all of
that 'twice'.....

It's the ineptitude of Plus's engineers that's so frustrating....
according to their status page the changes they made to sort out
Friday's collapse in email......

"resulted in unforeseen problems on 6 of our 18 mail servers (the same
change was made to all). These 6 mail servers are now showing high
loads, which is why some customers are still seeing lengthy delays to
their email delivery. "

Fix one problem - create another......

They seem to be making very heavy weather of the whole email issue -
not like it's 'new technology' - surely ??

I honestly believe that rather than invest in infrastructure, the policy is
to dissuade customers from using anything but the core service (witness
their news server fiasco late last year).

Regards.
Joe Lee.