Router of choice for sharing AOL ADSL connection

Old May 15th 06, 02:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Default Router of choice for sharing AOL ADSL connection

Some of my relatives have an AOL ADSL connection which they now need to
share.
Can anyone recommend a modem/router combo that works well?

And yes , I am aware of AOL's shortcomings and no there is no chance of them
changing to another provider.
Please try and restrain yourself from a pointless rant on this subject

--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old May 15th 06, 03:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Dr Zoidberg says...
Some of my relatives have an AOL ADSL connection which they now need to
share.
Can anyone recommend a modem/router combo that works well?

And yes , I am aware of AOL's shortcomings and no there is no chance of them
changing to another provider.
Please try and restrain yourself from a pointless rant on this subject

Netgear DG834GT.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old May 15th 06, 03:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Conor wrote:
In article , Dr Zoidberg says...
Some of my relatives have an AOL ADSL connection which they now need
to share.
Can anyone recommend a modem/router combo that works well?

And yes , I am aware of AOL's shortcomings and no there is no chance
of them changing to another provider.
Please try and restrain yourself from a pointless rant on this
subject

Netgear DG834GT.

100 including a USB wireless jobbie.
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/83433

That looks like it'll do the job and will save me trailing CAT5 around their
house.
Thanks Conor.

Old May 15th 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Dr Zoidberg wrote in message
:

Conor wrote:
In article , Dr Zoidberg says...
Some of my relatives have an AOL ADSL connection which they now need
to share.
Can anyone recommend a modem/router combo that works well?

And yes , I am aware of AOL's shortcomings and no there is no chance
of them changing to another provider.
Please try and restrain yourself from a pointless rant on this
subject

Netgear DG834GT.

100 including a USB wireless jobbie.
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/83433

That looks like it'll do the job and will save me trailing CAT5
around their house.

The Netgear DG834G(UK) and DG834GT routers certainly work very well with
AOL: I've configured both without any problem.

One thing: whichever router you go for, you need to reduce the MTU from the
default value 1458 to 1400 bytes for use with AOL. My experience is that
some customers' routers run quite happily with 1458 whereas other routers
(even the same model!) fail to keep LCP up unless you reduce MTU to 1400. So
it's best to play it safe.

Old May 15th 06, 08:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gaz

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Some of my relatives have an AOL ADSL connection which they now need to
share.
Can anyone recommend a modem/router combo that works well?

And yes , I am aware of AOL's shortcomings and no there is no chance of
them
changing to another provider.
Please try and restrain yourself from a pointless rant on this subject

any adsl router that allows you to change mtu will work. I found the 3com
officeconnect works excellently, netgears are officially supported by aol,
so if you have setup problems they will help you.

Gaz

Old May 15th 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message ,
Martin Underwood writes
One thing: whichever router you go for, you need to reduce the MTU from the
default value 1458 to 1400 bytes for use with AOL. My experience is that
some customers' routers run quite happily with 1458 whereas other routers
(even the same model!) fail to keep LCP up unless you reduce MTU to 1400. So
it's best to play it safe.

I've also seen problems with certain poker web sites and also some
instant messengers (MSN usually) not connecting or being reliable unless
you change the MTU to 1400.

--
Clint Sharp