USB modems or ethernet ?

Old May 15th 06, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
paulfoel

Default USB modems or ethernet ?

Which one causes least problems?

I get no end of problems with my BT Voyager USB with disconenctions /
loss of sync etc. I'm just wondering if I'd be better off with an
ethernet one or modem/router?

Old May 15th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gort

On Mon, 15 May 2006 08:04:34 -0700, paulfoel wrote:

Which one causes least problems?

I get no end of problems with my BT Voyager USB with disconenctions /
loss of sync etc. I'm just wondering if I'd be better off with an
ethernet one or modem/router?

Not been reading the newsgroup have we !!. Ethernet ADSLmodem/router every
time, leave USB to the muppets!!

Dave

Old May 15th 06, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

gort wrote:
On Mon, 15 May 2006 08:04:34 -0700, paulfoel wrote:

Which one causes least problems?

I get no end of problems with my BT Voyager USB with disconenctions /
loss of sync etc. I'm just wondering if I'd be better off with an
ethernet one or modem/router?

Not been reading the newsgroup have we !!. Ethernet ADSLmodem/router every
time, leave USB to the muppets!!

Dave

But the loss of sync and disconnections are probably more to do with a poor
line then the modem, this wont be solved by switchin to a router.

Generally though, ethernet is better.

Gaz

Old May 15th 06, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gort

But the loss of sync and disconnections are probably more to do with a poor
line then the modem, this wont be solved by switchin to a router.

Generally though, ethernet is better.

Gaz

He might get lucky, you never know especially with a good quality router.

Dave

Old May 16th 06, 03:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bazzer Smith

"paulfoel" wrote in message
oups.com...
Which one causes least problems?

I get no end of problems with my BT Voyager USB with disconenctions /
loss of sync etc. I'm just wondering if I'd be better off with an
ethernet one or modem/router?

That probably cos it's BT!!

I heard that USB might be more of an overhead on the computer
but other than that I expect your probs are totally unrelated to USB.
I use USB and have no probs with it,I am fairly sure your probs
lie elsewhere.

Old May 16th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

gort wrote:
On Mon, 15 May 2006 08:04:34 -0700, paulfoel wrote:

Which one causes least problems?

I get no end of problems with my BT Voyager USB with disconenctions /
loss of sync etc. I'm just wondering if I'd be better off with an
ethernet one or modem/router?

Not been reading the newsgroup have we !!. Ethernet ADSLmodem/router every
time, leave USB to the muppets!!

Dave

I've had excellent reliability with my green frog alcatel usb modem. It
doesn't give me the statistics like an Ethernet Modem/Router, but it's
been excellent.

Though it could be because Im running it on a Linux Distro.

I stay up for 10's of days at a time. mostly Im disconnected because of
a power cut, or PlusNet disconnecting it's users... Other than that,
it's been rock solid for four years.

Cya
Simon
Old May 16th 06, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
paulfoel

Gaz wrote:

gort wrote:
On Mon, 15 May 2006 08:04:34 -0700, paulfoel wrote:

Which one causes least problems?

I get no end of problems with my BT Voyager USB with disconenctions /
loss of sync etc. I'm just wondering if I'd be better off with an
ethernet one or modem/router?

Not been reading the newsgroup have we !!. Ethernet ADSLmodem/router every
time, leave USB to the muppets!!

Dave

But the loss of sync and disconnections are probably more to do with a poor
line then the modem, this wont be solved by switchin to a router.

Generally though, ethernet is better.

Gaz

See my more recent post about problems following rebuild of windows
etc.

Obviouslty, with the USB, its more dependent on the software on the PC
/ the USB port etc whereas a router handles all the connection stuff
itself...