DLink Modem + Netgear Router = Problem?

Old May 15th 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam

Default DLink Modem + Netgear Router = Problem?

Hi All,

I've been successfully using a D-Link DSL-300T with Bulldog and recently
bought a Netgear WGR614v6 wireless router so I can let another computer
access the internet connection.

However, I can't seem to access the internet (web/email/ping) at all via
the router+modem, although the router seems to be picking up the DNS and IP
address from Bulldog.

Also, is there any way to configure the modem and router without
re-plugging the ethernet cables all the time, since they share the same IP
address?

Does anyone have any ideas/advice?

Thanks from a networking-newbie,
Adam

--
Adam Richardson
Carpe Diem
Old May 15th 06, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Adam wrote:

I've been successfully using a D-Link DSL-300T with Bulldog and recently
bought a Netgear WGR614v6 wireless router so I can let another computer
access the internet connection.

However, I can't seem to access the internet (web/email/ping) at all via
the router+modem, although the router seems to be picking up the DNS and IP
address from Bulldog.

Also, is there any way to configure the modem and router without
re-plugging the ethernet cables all the time, since they share the same IP
address?

"sharing the same IP address" sounds like something that isn't going to
work. What mode do you have the modem in, and are you using PPPoE on
the router ?

Does anyone have any ideas/advice?

my advice would be to take the WGR thing back and get a combined ADSL
modem/router - life's too short.

Phil

Old May 15th 06, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"Adam" wrote in message
: Hi All,
:
[...]
: --
: Adam Richardson
: Carpe Diem

I feel your problem stems from the sharing the same IP

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk
Superb hosting & domain name deals http://host.kick-butt.co.uk

Old May 16th 06, 06:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gort

Does anyone have any ideas/advice?

Thanks from a networking-newbie,
Adam

Have a look on

www.adslguide.org.uk

Theres a good guide about the DSL-300T and using it with a router. Might
help.

Dave

Old May 16th 06, 07:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike GW8IJT

"Adam" wrote in message
Hi All,

I've been successfully using a D-Link DSL-300T with Bulldog and recently
bought a Netgear WGR614v6 wireless router so I can let another computer
access the internet connection.

However, I can't seem to access the internet (web/email/ping) at all via
the router+modem, although the router seems to be picking up the DNS and
IP
address from Bulldog.

Also, is there any way to configure the modem and router without
re-plugging the ethernet cables all the time, since they share the same IP
address?

Does anyone have any ideas/advice?

Thanks from a networking-newbie,
Adam

--
Adam Richardson
Carpe Diem

Lots of people including me have had problems trying to get a router & a
modem to talk to each other, so I bit the bullet & bought a 3com modem
router, having 2 computers connected to the Internet. The 3com is brilliant.
Regards Mike.

Old May 16th 06, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam

Thanks for the replies.

In message , Joker7
wrote:

I feel your problem stems from the sharing the same IP

Yes, that seems a reasonable avenue to pursue. I've looked at the adslguide
page and changed the LAN IP address of the router to 192.168.0.1. Do I need
to change anything else? In particular both router and modem are acting as
DHCP servers. Should I disable one - or what IP address ranges should I
put in to the two devices? The modem also has a "primary DNS address" (or
somesuch) which is currently set to 192.168.1.1 I think.

Thanks a lot,
Adam

--
Adam Richardson
Carpe Diem
Old May 17th 06, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam

In message , Adam wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

In message , Joker7
wrote:

I feel your problem stems from the sharing the same IP

Yes, that seems a reasonable avenue to pursue. I've looked at the adslguide
page and changed the LAN IP address of the router to 192.168.0.1. Do I need
to change anything else? In particular both router and modem are acting as
DHCP servers. Should I disable one - or what IP address ranges should I
put in to the two devices? The modem also has a "primary DNS address" (or
somesuch) which is currently set to 192.168.1.1 I think.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm pretty stumped following a further evening of
frustrating trial and error :-(

In particular, how should the two DCHP servers be configured?

Cheers,
Adam

--
Adam Richardson
Carpe Diem
Old May 17th 06, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dudicous

Adam wrote:
Hi All,

I've been successfully using a D-Link DSL-300T with Bulldog and recently
bought a Netgear WGR614v6 wireless router so I can let another computer
access the internet connection.

I had a D-Link DSL-300T but got shot of it after the second replacement
went wrong. Always needing to be rebooted, swapping cables, unable to
get to the web interface. Sounds familiar? And I had the IP addresses
configured correctly. Now I've got a Draytek and not had a single
problem in over 14 months. Get a combined modem/router.

Old May 17th 06, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Adam wrote:

Anyone got any ideas? I'm pretty stumped following a further evening of
frustrating trial and error :-(

In particular, how should the two DCHP servers be configured?

the router DHCP need to be on to serve wired and wired clients.

I suspect the modem DHCP server also needs to be on in order to pass
the external IP to the router once the link is up.

Old May 17th 06, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam

In message .com,
dudicous wrote:

Adam wrote:
Hi All,

I've been successfully using a D-Link DSL-300T with Bulldog and recently
bought a Netgear WGR614v6 wireless router so I can let another computer
access the internet connection.

I had a D-Link DSL-300T but got shot of it after the second replacement
went wrong. Always needing to be rebooted, swapping cables, unable to
get to the web interface. Sounds familiar?

No, actually - the D-Link has worked flawlessly for the past year or so -
it's just this whole adding-a-router thing which is turning out badly

And I had the IP addresses configured correctly. Now I've got a Draytek
and not had a single problem in over 14 months. Get a combined
modem/router.

Well, that's certainly the last resort (approaching fast!).

Adam

--
Adam Richardson
Carpe Diem