Mobiles with SIP / VoIP?

Old May 15th 06, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
!

Default Mobiles with SIP / VoIP?

Any mobiles available now or very soon which will support the SIP protocol?

Thanks

Old May 15th 06, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
R.Daneel Olivaw

"!" .. wrote in message ...
Any mobiles available now or very soon which will support the SIP
protocol?

Thanks

Well my N80 has a SIP setting menu item under communications if that's any
help - not sure what it does - is it for VOIP? I have emailed Skype and they
tell my a version for the N80 is under development but would not commit to a
timescale.

Old May 16th 06, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Tue, 16 May 2006 01:32:16 +0100, "Martin²" wrote:

R.Daneel Olivaw:
Well my N80 has a SIP setting menu item under communications if that's any
help - not sure what it does - is it for VOIP? I have emailed Skype and
they tell my a version for the N80 is under development but would not
commit to a timescale.

Skype is just a P2P software application (which obviously need internet
access), incompatible with anything else.

True VoIP / SIP is totally different, allows you to use any VoIP provider,
or even direct connection to any other SIP user if you know the their IP.
Regards,
Martin

Yes, I can't see Skype being a goer for mobile use via the Net over a
mobile metwork. You only need to look at the cost/MB of data to see
that it would not be cost effective. However, over WiFi that might be
a different situation. However, I agree, Skype is toytown. It works
very well for what it is but who is interested in waiting for the
computer to boot up every time you want ot make a call. Further, you
are tied to one provider and you can't contact SIP phones except via
PSTN.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old May 16th 06, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Martin² wrote:
R.Daneel Olivaw:
Well my N80 has a SIP setting menu item under communications if that's any
help - not sure what it does - is it for VOIP? I have emailed Skype and
they tell my a version for the N80 is under development but would not
commit to a timescale.

Skype is just a P2P software application (which obviously need internet
access), incompatible with anything else.

True VoIP / SIP is totally different, allows you to use any VoIP provider,
or even direct connection to any other SIP user if you know the their IP.

Skype is VoIP. If you definition of "True VoIP" is SIP, then where do
H.323 and IAX fit in (as examples).
Old May 16th 06, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Paul Cupis wrote:
Martin² wrote:
R.Daneel Olivaw:
Well my N80 has a SIP setting menu item under communications if that's any
help - not sure what it does - is it for VOIP? I have emailed Skype and
they tell my a version for the N80 is under development but would not
commit to a timescale.

Skype is just a P2P software application (which obviously need internet
access), incompatible with anything else.

True VoIP / SIP is totally different, allows you to use any VoIP provider,
or even direct connection to any other SIP user if you know the their IP.

Skype is VoIP. If you definition of "True VoIP" is SIP, then where do
H.323 and IAX fit in (as examples).

H.323 is much older so I guess that'll be old VOIP and IAX is much
simpler (only one port to worry about etc.) so I guess that'll be new
VOIP :-p

I thought that any process that runs voice data over an IP network woult
qualify (like all the ones that software like Speak Freely and CuSeeMe
etc used which I know includes H.323.)
Old May 16th 06, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
Adrian

Paul Cupis ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Skype is VoIP. If you definition of "True VoIP" is SIP, then where do
H.323 and IAX fit in (as examples).

Personally, I'd say that - yes, Skype is VoIP - but it's a firmly
proprietary implementation of VoIP - a walled garden. "True" VoIP is based
around open and interoperable protocols.

A good analogy is the early days of the internet, when it was busy killing
off BBSes.
Old May 16th 06, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Adrian wrote:
Paul Cupis ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Skype is VoIP. If you definition of "True VoIP" is SIP, then where do
H.323 and IAX fit in (as examples).

Personally, I'd say that - yes, Skype is VoIP - but it's a firmly
proprietary implementation of VoIP - a walled garden.

Yes, I agree.

"True" VoIP is [snip]

a made up phrase with no useful definition and which we should stop using.

Old May 16th 06, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
TKD

Any mobiles available now or very soon which will support the SIP
protocol?

Thanks

Nokia E60 available now.

Old May 17th 06, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
TKD

Any mobiles available now or very soon which will support the SIP
protocol?

Thanks

Nokia E60 available now.

Where?? Nokia say it hasn't been released yet.

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=126949