Setting up my own DOMAIN as a SIP address?

Old May 15th 06, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
!

Default Setting up my own DOMAIN as a SIP address?

Is it easy to setup my own domain as a SIP address?

Old May 16th 06, 01:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

All you need to do is give your SIP callers your IP number, obviously it
helps if that is static, and ask them to call you direct. (e.g. if your IP
is 123.45.67.89 then they dial #123*45*67*89#)
If you have dynamic IP then there are DNS schemes allowing your IP to be
mapped.

But why bother with any of that if you can register with Sipgate for free
and get geographical No. for incoming calls to boot ?
Regards,
Martin

Old May 16th 06, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

! wrote:
Is it easy to setup my own domain as a SIP address?

You need a SIP proxy server.

Tim
Old May 16th 06, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Martin² wrote:
All you need to do is give your SIP callers your IP number, obviously it
helps if that is static, and ask them to call you direct. (e.g. if your IP
is 123.45.67.89 then they dial #123*45*67*89#)
If you have dynamic IP then there are DNS schemes allowing your IP to be
mapped.

But why bother with any of that if you can register with Sipgate for free
and get geographical No. for incoming calls to boot ?

Because he wants to use his own domain name as part of his SIP address?
Old May 16th 06, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Paul Cupis wrote:
Martin² wrote:
All you need to do is give your SIP callers your IP number, obviously it
helps if that is static, and ask them to call you direct. (e.g. if your IP
is 123.45.67.89 then they dial #123*45*67*89#)
If you have dynamic IP then there are DNS schemes allowing your IP to be
mapped.

But why bother with any of that if you can register with Sipgate for free
and get geographical No. for incoming calls to boot ?

Because he wants to use his own domain name as part of his SIP address?

Would be useful in the way that he could use a sip proxy hosted at the
domain rather than anything more substantial.
Old May 17th 06, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
aap

"!" .. wrote in message ...
Is it easy to setup my own domain as a SIP address?

1 need a domain, so you need a DNS
2 SIP phone logging in to a (non)existent proxy
3 allow port 5060 (or what you told DNS) incoming on the firewall
4 people can call you at [email protected] or [email protected]

Goodluck

Jack

Old May 17th 06, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
!

"aap" wrote in message

"!" .. wrote in message ...
Is it easy to setup my own domain as a SIP address?

1 need a domain, so you need a DNS

Got

2 SIP phone logging in to a (non)existent proxy

This is the bit I'm having problems with.

3 allow port 5060 (or what you told DNS) incoming on the firewall

Setup on APF

Old May 18th 06, 03:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

people can call you at [email protected] or [email protected]

Is that useful in same way ?
Regards,
Martin

Old May 18th 06, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
aap

"Martin²" wrote in message
people can call you at [email protected] or [email protected]

Is that useful in same way ?

There is no difference between name and a number, DNS is the glue between
both.
Useful, if you want to make phonecalls without a provider (free, no provider
bugs and errors and records, ...).

Jack

Old May 18th 06, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
aap

"!" .. wrote in message ...
2 SIP phone logging in to a (non)existent proxy

This is the bit I'm having problems with.

Example:
1 got to voipstunt.com,
2 dowload, run their software,
3 get a number using their software,
4 go to their website pay 10 euro,
5 try you downloaded PC phone,
6 on their website read the sip configuration
7 enter the configuration into your ATA box.
8 make a call using 0049xxxxx prefixes

Where is the problem?