Pulsenet worth the bother?

Old May 16th 06, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

Default Pulsenet worth the bother?

Pulsnet appear to give a great deal...much better than TalkTalk as no long
term contract.

But they do not answer their phones.

Even the premium rate number has no reply, and their website has no email
address for non-subscribers to contact them. Very strange. They don't want
new customers to contact them?

This doesn't look good, but the offer is.

Should I avoid this company. I don't want to have a problem and find myself
calling a no-answer telephone line.

Do they have an email address that they actually reply from?

Many Thanks

Old May 16th 06, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ryan

LOTS of feedback about them on this group, I would avoid at all costs.
You get what you pay for, so pay more and get peace of mind and support
a smaller business that appreciates your custom.

Old May 16th 06, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
K A Nuttall

ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote in article
:

Should I avoid this company. I don't want to have a problem and
find myself calling a no-answer telephone line.

I'm a customer of nearly 6 years, although I am now window shopping
other ISPs.

They have attracted a lot of new customers with their aggressive
pricing, over the last couple of years. They've never been very good
with infrastructure forward-planning, and consequently they are now
swamped with support requests they can't handle.

They were traditionally a geek's ISP, and offered lots of nice add-ons.
But they are now distancing themselves from this, and support for the
in-house services is suffering.

So, I suppose you could say that they are victims of their own success.
Although, as long as the new signups keep coming in, they're probably
very pleased with themselves.

--
K A Nuttall
www.yammer.co.uk
Old May 16th 06, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
K A Nuttall

K A Nuttall wrote in article
:

I'm a customer of nearly 6 years, although I am now window
shopping other ISPs.

Oops. I read that as PlusNet. Sorry.

Old May 16th 06, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

Who would you recommend?

After 15minutes I finally found a way to contact them by email.

What kind of company tells new customers 'Bugger-off we don't want to talk
to you' ...no wonder they can't afford telephone operators.

oups.com...

Old May 16th 06, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

K A Nuttall wrote:
K A Nuttall wrote in article
:

I'm a customer of nearly 6 years, although I am now window
shopping other ISPs.

Oops. I read that as PlusNet. Sorry.

They were weren't they. They still are to a certain extent, with static
ip's and smtp email.

those and the relative stable connections are the only real
advantagesatthe moment.

I just hate what they;re doing. I mean who the hell deems that some
spotty git surfing for porn on the web should take higher priority over
text based news groups, or downloading from FTP.

Im not aware of any companies that still give SMTP and Static IP's. I
dont think Demon provide both, and there's certainly no indication from
AAISP or Zen that they provide these features.

Cheers
Simon
Old May 16th 06, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 16 May 2006 12:17:22 UTC, Simon Dean
wrote:

Im not aware of any companies that still give SMTP and Static IP's. I
dont think Demon provide both, and there's certainly no indication from
AAISP or Zen that they provide these features.

Not sure what you mean by 'give SMTP'. But AAISP:

a) Will provide free static IPs (IPv4), as many as you need.
b) Will provide a stupidly large IPv6 block, free.
c) Will provide email via POP3.
d) Will provide email by SMTP to your server.
e) Will let you run your own SMTP server, and provide a free secondary.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old May 16th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

wrote:

Im not aware of any companies that still give SMTP and Static IP's. I
dont think Demon provide both, and there's certainly no indication from
AAISP or Zen that they provide these features.

Not sure what you mean by 'give SMTP'. But AAISP:

(provide an SMTP feed to my server - honestly, I thought we were talking
geek :-) ).

a) Will provide free static IPs (IPv4), as many as you need.
b) Will provide a stupidly large IPv6 block, free.
c) Will provide email via POP3.
d) Will provide email by SMTP to your server.
e) Will let you run your own SMTP server, and provide a free secondary.

Hrm. I like the sound of that. Especially the IP's. Just gotta read some
Linux Howto's to find out about routing and how all that might be setup
first.

Thanks for the info.

Cya
Simon
Old May 16th 06, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Civil

Im not aware of any companies that still give SMTP and Static IP's. I

There's a few - sometimes hiding the facilities under their domain
services extra cost addons. Eclipse for one - about 4 quid a month.

Mike
Old May 16th 06, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ryan

Whoops, I read it as plusnet too!

Anyway, I've given Eclipse a bit of stick lately but I may have been
wrong with my dslmax product problems so I would still recommend them.

I've yet to confirm that my problems have gone away but my line now
seems better after discovering that an alarm installer linked their
alarm system direct to the damn line!

I have a referrer code somewhere for Eclipse, but I won't foist it on
you!

Ryan