help need new ISP

Old May 16th 06, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pammyT

Default help need new ISP

I have quit talk talk due to some fairly awful problems recently
including slow speeds, unable to actually log on, they suddenly decided
not to support newsgroups, nobody answering the phones and lastly,
after I was told about bittorrent and wanted to give it a try, I find
out that they won't allow it.
So, I need an ISP which lets me use bittorrent. If they also do a
telephone deal too, so much the better.
Any recommendations please?

Old May 16th 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SecretSquiddle

oups.com...

www.zen.co.uk

Old May 16th 06, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I have quit talk talk due to some fairly awful problems recently
including slow speeds, unable to actually log on, they suddenly decided
not to support newsgroups, nobody answering the phones and lastly,
after I was told about bittorrent and wanted to give it a try, I find
out that they won't allow it.

Try a client that allocates a random port, I think you can do that with
Azureus or utorrent
Old May 16th 06, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"pammyT" wrote in message
oups.com...
:I have quit talk talk due to some fairly awful problems recently
: including slow speeds, unable to actually log on, they suddenly decided
: not to support newsgroups, nobody answering the phones and lastly,
: after I was told about bittorrent and wanted to give it a try, I find
: out that they won't allow it.
: So, I need an ISP which lets me use bittorrent. If they also do a
: telephone deal too, so much the better.
: Any recommendations please?
:

I personal use plusnet and never had any real problems with them ,have try a
number of the years and the best to date has been plusnet.If you use the
link in my sig and you decide to sign up I will get a couple of penny of my
account.

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk
Superb hosting & domain name deals http://host.kick-butt.co.uk

Old May 16th 06, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 16 May 2006, "Joker7" wrote:

"pammyT" wrote in message

:I have quit talk talk due to some fairly awful problems recently
: including slow speeds, unable to actually log on, they suddenly decided
: not to support newsgroups, nobody answering the phones and lastly,
: after I was told about bittorrent and wanted to give it a try, I find
: out that they won't allow it.

: So, I need an ISP which lets me use bittorrent. If they also do a
: telephone deal too, so much the better.
: Any recommendations please?

I personal use plusnet and never had any real problems with them ,have try a
number of the years and the best to date has been plusnet.If you use the
link in my sig and you decide to sign up I will get a couple of penny of my
account.

a) Plus.Net doesn't offer binary newsgroups, so that's a bit of a dumb idea
b) Plus.Net controls traffic levels on peer-to-peer so again, not ideal
c) there are as yet no firm details about the telephone deal, and if CS
staff are going to take to the end of this week to handle the tickets
up to Tuesday lunch time, who knows when they'll be able to respond to
quesitons over their phone service on top of their shop and (dare I say
it) the simple "internet" questions (the area I thought was important)

Old May 16th 06, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

SecretSquiddle wrote:
"pammyT" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have quit talk talk due to some fairly awful problems recently
including slow speeds, unable to actually log on, they suddenly
decided not to support newsgroups, nobody answering the phones and
lastly, after I was told about bittorrent and wanted to give it a
try, I find out that they won't allow it.
So, I need an ISP which lets me use bittorrent. If they also do a
telephone deal too, so much the better.
Any recommendations please?

www.zen.co.uk

Definately.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old May 16th 06, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Lee

"Old Codger" wrote in message
SecretSquiddle wrote:
"pammyT" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have quit talk talk due to some fairly awful problems recently
including slow speeds, unable to actually log on, they suddenly
decided not to support newsgroups, nobody answering the phones and
lastly, after I was told about bittorrent and wanted to give it a
try, I find out that they won't allow it.
So, I need an ISP which lets me use bittorrent. If they also do a
telephone deal too, so much the better.
Any recommendations please?

www.zen.co.uk

Definately.

Is it all you might have expected ? I'm considering the 8000 Active account.
The 20gb/month is much more than I need, & I notice from last night the
basic accounts don't come with mailboxes (but I can live with that). I.m the
proud owner of a brand new MAC key & trying to justify the extra 10/month
(compared to PN), but It'll be worth it if the service really is reliable.

Regards.
Joe Lee

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old May 17th 06, 02:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nightowl

Joe Lee wrote on Tue, 16 May 2006:

I'm considering the 8000 Active account.
The 20gb/month is much more than I need, & I notice from last night the
basic accounts don't come with mailboxes (but I can live with that).

Not sure what you mean here, Joe. All Zen accounts come with a mailbox
and I can't see anything on the website to say that's changed. An
address of the form is assigned to you and you can
set up to 5 more addresses ("aliases") for each box.

What you can't do is download mail for a specific alias separately, i.e.
downloading mail from zen12345 fetches mail for all the addresses
attached to that box. But if you need to do this you can buy extra POP3
boxes for 7.50 a quarter or 27.50 yearly in advance.

--
Nightowl
Old May 17th 06, 02:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 17 May 2006, Nightowl ] wrote:

But if you need to do this you can buy extra POP3 boxes for
7.50 a quarter or 27.50 yearly in advance.

Jeeeepers! For about half that you could have a hundred POP mailboxes
if you get a cheap reseller package on Ebay. Even if you didn't want
to host a few dozen domains, you could use the server for mailboxes
for friends and family, or allow forwarding to their own Gmail/etc
mail addresses (and for those who have mail unreliability on the
ISP they use, can have mail forwarded to both ISP and Gmail!)
Old May 17th 06, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article .com,
pammyT says...
I have quit talk talk due to some fairly awful problems recently
including slow speeds, unable to actually log on, they suddenly decided
not to support newsgroups, nobody answering the phones and lastly,
after I was told about bittorrent and wanted to give it a try, I find
out that they won't allow it.
So, I need an ISP which lets me use bittorrent. If they also do a
telephone deal too, so much the better.
Any recommendations please?

Eclipse, various deals and prices available. They don't block Bittorrent
ports but do use traffic shaping at peak times on the cheaper packages

www.eclipse.net.uk

They also offer phone packages.

FR