Fairly OT, but VoIP related...

Old May 17th 06, 03:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
▀°dincÁs▓░░░

Default Fairly OT, but VoIP related...

Hi lads,

I'm helping out a very kind German bloke that is looking into a problem that
the AVM Fritz!Box Fon has with some POTS phone lines when provided by
cablecos (TW, NTL, etc...).
Due to the fact that these companies have seldom "incorporated" some smaller
local existing providers, their phone exchanges are very diverse, and then
the Fritz!Box has patchy performances when connected to such phone lines.
The AVM techie in question asked me - as a customer with the sufficient
technical knowledge - to help him out, but I can't be helpful as I wanted
because I actually don't know the make / brand / model of exchange I'm
attached to.
Is there any way to know it? I remember - from my "ISDN" age - that a key
sequence gave back the ISDN TA brand, name and firmware version through a
voice prompt.
Is there any kind of command (i.e. *#98#) to get that from my phone line?
Or - better - is there anyone that knows what's under the bonnet here in
Perth, Scotland on Telewest?
Your help could be very precious to iron out THE very last problem in the
Fritz!Box range, making them a very attractive device for VoIP.

TIA

--
▀°dincÁs▓░░░ - The Y2K Druid

Old May 17th 06, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"▀°dincÁs▓░░░" wrote in message
. uk
[...]

Hmm, you have me intrigued. What is the precise problem..? I have a
Fritz!Box Fon (the original non-wireless version) and it works flawlessly
on three different VoIP providers as well as my BT PSTN line.

Ivor

Old May 17th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Ivor Jones has brought this to us :
is there anyone that
knows what's under the bonnet here in Perth, Scotland on
Telewest?

Hmm, you have me intrigued. What is the precise problem..? I have a Fritz!Box
Fon (the original non-wireless version) and it works flawlessly on three
different VoIP providers as well as my BT PSTN line.

Erm, the problem's with /Telewest/ :/

Old May 17th 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
▀°dincÁs▓░░░

Wed, 17 May 2006 19:11:48 +0100, lid%Bpopped out over
the fence and said...

|"▀°dincÁs▓░░░" wrote in message
.uk
| Hi lads,
|
| I'm helping out a very kind German bloke that is looking
| into a problem that the AVM Fritz!Box Fon has with some
| POTS phone lines when provided by cablecos (TW, NTL,
| etc...). Due to the fact that these companies have seldom
| "incorporated" some smaller local existing providers,
| their phone exchanges are very diverse, and then the
| Fritz!Box has patchy performances when connected to such
| phone lines. The AVM techie in question asked me - as a
| customer with the sufficient technical knowledge - to
| help him out, but I can't be helpful as I wanted because
| I actually don't know the make / brand / model of
| exchange I'm attached to. Is there any way to know it? I remember -
| from my "ISDN"
| age - that a key sequence gave back the ISDN TA brand,
| name and firmware version through a voice prompt.
| Is there any kind of command (i.e. *#98#) to get that
| from my phone line? Or - better - is there anyone that
| knows what's under the bonnet here in Perth, Scotland on
| Telewest? Your help could be very precious to iron out THE very
| last problem in the Fritz!Box range, making them a very
| attractive device for VoIP.
|
|Hmm, you have me intrigued. What is the precise problem..? I have a
|Fritz!Box Fon (the original non-wireless version) and it works flawlessly
|on three different VoIP providers as well as my BT PSTN line.
|
|Ivor

Yup Ivor,

The prob is with the East Scottish Telewest area, the phone exchanges
are different from BT. I've had the info from another NGer, they are
Nortel DMS 100, completely different from BT's.
It's American (USA) stuff, with different parameters than UK, so the
Fritz is a bit baffled by different levels, REN, ring pattern, etc. and
misbehaves on incoming PSTN calls.
Is slow to detect an incoming call, then slow to start ringing on the
phones, and slow to detect that the caller party has hung up before my
answer, then keeps ringing when the caller has already hung up.
The lag is relevant, about 10 seconds, and strongly affects the "user
experience" :-) .
I've passed this info, let's see...
Apart from that, cracking little monster! It does what says on the tin,
flawlessly and reliably.
Bought a month ago, installed in a jiffy, all the stuff up and running
since then: LAN, WLAN, VoIP, firewall, etc... Lovely little box!

--
▀°dincÁs▓░░░ - The Y2K Druid
Old May 17th 06, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jono" wrote
in message
yonder.com.co.uk
Ivor Jones has brought this to us :
is there anyone that
knows what's under the bonnet here in Perth, Scotland
on Telewest?

Hmm, you have me intrigued. What is the precise
problem..? I have a Fritz!Box Fon (the original
non-wireless version) and it works flawlessly on three
different VoIP providers as well as my BT PSTN line.

Erm, the problem's with /Telewest/ :/

I know that, but that doesn't answer the question I asked..!

Ivor

Old May 17th 06, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"▀°dincÁs▓░░░" wrote in message
er.co.uk

[snip]

[...]

Have you set the regional options to UK..? If so try setting it to USA, if
your exchange is giving US tones etc. and see if that cures it.

Email me direct with a contact number if you want to do any tests. g6urp01
at googlemail dot com will reach me.

Ivor

Old May 18th 06, 12:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
▀°dincÁs▓░░░

Wed, 17 May 2006 23:30:36 +0100, lid%Bpopped out over
the fence and said...

|"▀°dincÁs▓░░░" wrote in message
der.co.uk

|[snip]
|
| The prob is with the East Scottish Telewest area, the
| phone exchanges are different from BT. I've had the info
| from another NGer, they are Nortel DMS 100, completely
| different from BT's.
| It's American (USA) stuff, with different parameters than
| UK, so the Fritz is a bit baffled by different levels,
| REN, ring pattern, etc. and misbehaves on incoming PSTN
| calls.
| Is slow to detect an incoming call, then slow to start
| ringing on the phones, and slow to detect that the caller
| party has hung up before my answer, then keeps ringing
| when the caller has already hung up.
| The lag is relevant, about 10 seconds, and strongly
| affects the "user experience" :-) .
| I've passed this info, let's see...
| Apart from that, cracking little monster! It does what
| says on the tin, flawlessly and reliably.
| Bought a month ago, installed in a jiffy, all the stuff
| up and running since then: LAN, WLAN, VoIP, firewall,
| etc... Lovely little box!
|
|Have you set the regional options to UK..? If so try setting it to USA, if
|your exchange is giving US tones etc. and see if that cures it.
|
|Email me direct with a contact number if you want to do any tests. g6urp01
|at googlemail dot com will reach me.
|

|Ivor

Thought of that, I'd prefer not to "experiment" during weekdays, I'll do
something this WE.

I can do any test by myself, thanks for the offer anyway!

--
▀°dincÁs▓░░░ - The Y2K Druid