Which ADSL router gives low priority to P2P traffic + better at keeping up ADSL connection.

Old May 17th 06, 11:28 AM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband

Default Which ADSL router gives low priority to P2P traffic + better at keeping up ADSL connection.

Hi,

I have 2 problems with a router I've purchased its an Edimax AR-7024A
router:
( http://www.edimax.nl/download/manual/AR-7024_M.zip )

When ever I turn on emule or dc++ the Internet explorer traffic goes so
slowly even if there is almost no traffic coming off or going up to the
P2P. When I turn off these programs it goes back to its normal speed.
It is a 2Mbit ADSL connection.

I'm using a residential www.plus.net service.

Also I find that it sometimes stalls the connection. So I've got to
restart the router for it to get the connection going again. This is a
pain as I like to be able to login remotely to one of the computers
pluged into the router. Are some routers better at keeping an ADSL
connection open than others.

The actual setup is that I have 4 computers plugged into a gigabit hub
and the gigabit hub has an ethernet connection to the Router which has
4 ports on it but they are only 100/10 Mbit. Should this setup effect
the traffic flow instead of having every computer plugged into it.

I have heard there are gaming modems that priority gaming traffic over
everything else. I don't game but could a good one of these be turned
to prioritizing I.E. traffic and also be more likely to stop the ADSL
from stalling.

Thanks for any advice.

Old May 17th 06, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rialto

(
[...]

Since the Internet connection is only 2mbit/sec, the link from the Gigabit
switch to the router is not likely to be a bottleneck .

Most likely, your upstream is becoming saturated - Internet (TCP/IP)
traffic needs available upload to download stuff, and vice-versa, and
eMule and other p2p programs tend to soak up a lot of it.

My first suggestion would be to get rid of eMule - my partner uses it,
and it gives me so much hassle it's unbelievable - but if that's not an
option, simply restricting the upload speed (via. the options panel in
eMule) should restore your normal Internet performance... my partner is
capped at 5kByte/sec upload, and that worked fine when we had a 256kBit
upload.

Routers which support Quality of Service (QoS) basically prioritise
certain types of traffic, according to various rules which you can set -
some routers do better at it than others, though . The only one I've
used with this function is the Micra Digital/Belkin F5D7300 - which also
doesn't freeze up under p2p load (at least, it hasn't so far)... 55 from
Tesco.

Mind you, most of the other functions on it are absolutely useless, IMO.

Routers generally freeze up under p2p because they run out of memory, due
to keeping track of loads of different connections. You can reduce the
load using the advanced settings panel... reduce the max. number of new
connections to 5 (default is 10), and the maximum number of "half-open
connections" to 20 (default is 50), and see if that helps.

Of course, doing so will almost certainly affect the speed/number of
peers/etc. in eMule, but it's cheaper than buying a new router...

xF,

...Nick

I have just left Metronet which lately has run on the PlusNet network. When
used P2P, PlusNet appeared to throttle all traffic from my machine to
256kb/s.
Reading their blurb suggests that they only throttle the P2P stuff, but I
think that is
not the case.

Old May 18th 06, 03:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anon

On Wed, 17 May 2006 12:07:13 +0100, Nick
wrote:

My first suggestion would be to get rid of eMule

LOL - have seen lots of comments about routers needing to be restarted
and many seem to be a result of using such s/w

the Micra Digital/Belkin F5D7300 which also doesn't freeze up under p2p
load (at least, it hasn't so far)... 55 from Tesco.

useful to know and not too pricey either

Mind you, most of the other functions on it are absolutely useless, IMO.

What other functions, and why "useless" ?

Routers generally freeze up under p2p because they run out of memory,
due to keeping track of loads of different connections.

Which is why most of the people I know have zero problems and run for
weeks at a time without having any reason to reboot.
Old May 18th 06, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

anon wrote:
Mind you, most of the other functions on it are absolutely useless, IMO.

What other functions, and why "useless" ?

VLAN doesn't work properly (it lets you alias the router's IP, which is
then pingable from any interace using the 'normal' IP addresses, but
PC's plugged into the correct interface and configured to use an IP in
the VLAN range can't contact it). Even if it did work properly, the
wireless LAN can't be added to any VLAN.

If you're running in a NO-NAT configuration (ie. using a publicly
routable IP block), then the firewall is pretty useless, as it blocks
all unsolicited incoming by default, doesn't have any way of adding
"allow" rules -- making running a webserver (say) absolutely impossible,
especially as DMZ and port forwarding don't work in a NO-NAT config,
either. Oh, and outbound rules on the firewall don't seem to work
properly (I set up one to block all packets with an SRC port of
3000-5000, but they kept popping through).

SNMP is included, but there's no info regarding MIBs (although this is,
apparently, forthcoming). SNMPwalk gets some bits, but the interesting
stuff (ADSL line stats, for instance) is either not used, or is in a MIB
that I haven't chuckled through snmpwalk yet.

Oh, and some info from the folks at MicraDigital: *apparently*, their
product is completely different to the Belkin, and (among other things)
has a TI ADSL chipset, *is* adsl2+ compatible, and comes with wireless
bridging. Apparently, anyway!

xF,

....Nick
Old May 29th 06, 05:03 PM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband

Hi I've the same problem with the same router.... Have you find a
solution??? or is there someone that can help us??? Thanks a lot

PS Sorry for my english but I'm italian!!

Old March 7th 07, 03:30 PM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
tony h

limit your p2p software's speed to 80 - 90% of the connection speed (actual
speed not the one advertised by your isp). problems should all be over!