Help Broadband Problem!!!!

Old May 18th 06, 08:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SK

Default Help Broadband Problem!!!!

I got a new BT telephone line 3 months back. I wanted to go for
brodband and chose UK online as my supplier. But they have been telling
me that there is already ADSL on my line and have to ask BT to remove
that. When I call BT they say that my line is clear and the supllier
shouldnt be having any problem in giving broadband to me. I checked
with other broadband suppliers like AOL, Tiscali & also through
broadbandchecker.co.uk by entering my telephone number. All the sites
say that I already have broadband. I have been trying to reach BT
repeatedly and they keep telling me that there is nothing on my line. I
am running behind BT for 3 months now and cant understand what the
problem could be. Can someone please tell me if they faced a similar
problem and if possible let me know what I can do to resolve this? I
cannot receive any broadband if this is not sorted out.

Old May 18th 06, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter James

"SK" wrote in message
oups.com...
I got a new BT telephone line 3 months back. I wanted to go for
brodband and chose UK online as my supplier. But they have been telling
me that there is already ADSL on my line and have to ask BT to remove
that. When I call BT they say that my line is clear and the supllier
shouldnt be having any problem in giving broadband to me. I checked
with other broadband suppliers like AOL, Tiscali & also through
broadbandchecker.co.uk by entering my telephone number. All the sites
say that I already have broadband. I have been trying to reach BT
repeatedly and they keep telling me that there is nothing on my line. I
am running behind BT for 3 months now and cant understand what the
problem could be. Can someone please tell me if they faced a similar
problem and if possible let me know what I can do to resolve this? I
cannot receive any broadband if this is not sorted out.

Have you tried calling BT on 151 rather than 150?

If not call 151 and tell them that there appears to be a marker on your
line, and that you want it removing immediately.

I had this problem when I moved house recently and took over the existing BT
line, and tried to order broadband. The above advice was given to me by the
ISP I had chosen, and it worked.

HTH

--
Peter

Old May 18th 06, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pier Danone

"Peter James" wrote in message
| "SK" wrote in message
| oups.com...
| I got a new BT telephone line 3 months back. I wanted to go for
| brodband and chose UK online as my supplier. But they have been telling
| me that there is already ADSL on my line and have to ask BT to remove
| that. When I call BT they say that my line is clear and the supllier
| shouldnt be having any problem in giving broadband to me. I checked
| with other broadband suppliers like AOL, Tiscali & also through
| broadbandchecker.co.uk by entering my telephone number. All the sites
| say that I already have broadband. I have been trying to reach BT
| repeatedly and they keep telling me that there is nothing on my line. I
| am running behind BT for 3 months now and cant understand what the
| problem could be. Can someone please tell me if they faced a similar
| problem and if possible let me know what I can do to resolve this? I
| cannot receive any broadband if this is not sorted out.
|

| Have you tried calling BT on 151 rather than 150?
|
| If not call 151 and tell them that there appears to be a marker on your
| line, and that you want it removing immediately.
|
| I had this problem when I moved house recently and took over the existing BT
| line, and tried to order broadband. The above advice was given to me by the
| ISP I had chosen, and it worked.
|
| HTH
|
| --
| Peter

If all else fails call BT and tell then you want to cease and reprovide the line
with a new ACCOUNT number. You may need to also change phone number if you get
no joy.

It's unusual to still have broadband on the line. Normally this only happens if
the last occupant fails to pay or notify their ISP and when you move in the line
is not started properly. Normally BT are quick to cease broadband when a line is
shut down to TOS in the correct fashion, as they is a real shortage of exchange
ports in parts of the country. In your case I don't think this has been done. BT
can't just pull the wires without the say so of the original ISP, unless the
account and telephone number no longer match ;-)

Old May 19th 06, 02:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

This is BT's gentle hint that if you want BB, they got it, so take it or
leave it !

but you could have last laugh if you figure out which ISP the ADSL connects
to,
and then use it for free....
Regards,
Martin

Old May 19th 06, 07:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SK

Thanks Peter,

I told BT and that there seems to be a marker on line and voila!!!!
They told yes.....
But they told they cant tell me who the marker belongs to and I have to
call Ofcom to find it out. I did the same, they told me the ISP whom it
belongs to. I was able to remove the marker and now my new broadband
order is proceeding with no hitches!!!!

Thanks all....

Peter James wrote:

oups.com...

Old May 19th 06, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester

SK wrote:
Thanks Peter,

I told BT and that there seems to be a marker on line and voila!!!!
They told yes.....
But they told they cant tell me who the marker belongs to and I have to
call Ofcom to find it out. I did the same, they told me the ISP whom it
belongs to. I was able to remove the marker and now my new broadband
order is proceeding with no hitches!!!!

Thanks all....

But isn't it a joke all this messing around. Why are BT not allowed to
be more helpful and the need to involve Ofcom?
Old May 19th 06, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jim

On Fri, 19 May 2006 09:03:03 +0100, Colin Forrester
wrote:

SK wrote:
Thanks Peter,

I told BT and that there seems to be a marker on line and voila!!!!
They told yes.....
But they told they cant tell me who the marker belongs to and I have to
call Ofcom to find it out. I did the same, they told me the ISP whom it
belongs to. I was able to remove the marker and now my new broadband
order is proceeding with no hitches!!!!

Thanks all....

But isn't it a joke all this messing around. Why are BT not allowed to
be more helpful and the need to involve Ofcom?

It's Ofcom that make the rules in the first place - it's called
"compliance"................
Old May 19th 06, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

wrote:

SK wrote:
Thanks Peter,

I told BT and that there seems to be a marker on line and voila!!!!
They told yes.....
But they told they cant tell me who the marker belongs to and I have to
call Ofcom to find it out. I did the same, they told me the ISP whom it
belongs to. I was able to remove the marker and now my new broadband
order is proceeding with no hitches!!!!

Thanks all....

But isn't it a joke all this messing around. Why are BT not allowed to
be more helpful and the need to involve Ofcom?

It's Ofcom that make the rules in the first place - it's called
"compliance"................

Indeed. BT Retail (who are on the phones ) aren't allowed any
competitive advantage... the only reason that they *can* see the
details, is because their computer system is ?25 years old, so doesn't
distinguish between Retail & Wholesale.

xF,

....Nick