Are all microfilters created equal?

Old May 18th 06, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
paulfoel

Default Are all microfilters created equal?

Or is it worth investing in a quality one?

I notice that some sell for 5-6+. Is it worth paying the extra for
these or are they the same as the bog standard ones you usually get
included with your modem?

If so, what are the best brands to buy?

Old May 18th 06, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Christopher

"paulfoel" wrote in message
oups.com...
Or is it worth investing in a quality one?

I notice that some sell for 5-6+. Is it worth paying the extra for
these or are they the same as the bog standard ones you usually get
included with your modem?

If so, what are the best brands to buy?

In my opinion, they are all pretty equal. A bit like a garden hose - there
are expensive ones and cheap ones and probably even gold plated but the
water still comes out the end. It's the quality of the water that matters,
not the hose.

Old May 18th 06, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester

Christopher wrote:

Or is it worth investing in a quality one?

I notice that some sell for 5-6+. Is it worth paying the extra for
these or are they the same as the bog standard ones you usually get
included with your modem?

If so, what are the best brands to buy?

In my opinion, they are all pretty equal. A bit like a garden hose - there
are expensive ones and cheap ones and probably even gold plated but the
water still comes out the end. It's the quality of the water that matters,
not the hose.

Whereas our experience over dozens of sites and with different
modems/routers suggests that they are not all created equal. Price is
not the absolute guarantee to quality and reliability but different
filters do behave differently.
Old May 18th 06, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

paulfoel wrote:
Or is it worth investing in a quality one?

I notice that some sell for 5-6+. Is it worth paying the extra for
these or are they the same as the bog standard ones you usually get
included with your modem?

http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php

unlike a hosepipe, the microfilter affects the quality of what it
passes through.

Phil

Old May 18th 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Or is it worth investing in a quality one?

I notice that some sell for 5-6+. Is it worth paying the extra for
these or are they the same as the bog standard ones you usually get
included with your modem?

If so, what are the best brands to buy?

In my opinion, they are all pretty equal. A bit like a garden hose -
there are expensive ones and cheap ones and probably even gold plated
but the water still comes out the end. It's the quality of the
water that matters, not the hose.

Very probably wrong, and the advice that all ADSL filters are the same
certainly is. Take a look here for a detailed explanation of why.

Old May 18th 06, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"paulfoel" wrote in message
oups.com...
Or is it worth investing in a quality one?
I notice that some sell for 5-6+. Is it worth paying the extra for
these or are they the same as the bog standard ones you usually get
included with your modem?
If so, what are the best brands to buy?

I am still using the free one which came when I first got adsl 18 months
ago. Assuming it is a cheapo one, its not done too badly.

Old May 18th 06, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
paulfoel

Peter Crosland wrote:
Or is it worth investing in a quality one?

I notice that some sell for 5-6+. Is it worth paying the extra for
these or are they the same as the bog standard ones you usually get
included with your modem?

If so, what are the best brands to buy?

In my opinion, they are all pretty equal. A bit like a garden hose -
there are expensive ones and cheap ones and probably even gold plated
but the water still comes out the end. It's the quality of the
water that matters, not the hose.

Very probably wrong, and the advice that all ADSL filters are the same
certainly is. Take a look here for a detailed explanation of why.

http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php

Peter Crosland

Good link - thanks. Might be a bit biased since they recommend their
own as the best !

Bought a couple of Excelsus ones of ebay but I think they;re the Z200
ones which dont seem as good according to this.

Old May 18th 06, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester

Peter Crosland wrote:
Or is it worth investing in a quality one?

I notice that some sell for 5-6+. Is it worth paying the extra for
these or are they the same as the bog standard ones you usually get
included with your modem?

If so, what are the best brands to buy?

In my opinion, they are all pretty equal. A bit like a garden hose -
there are expensive ones and cheap ones and probably even gold plated
but the water still comes out the end. It's the quality of the
water that matters, not the hose.

Very probably wrong, and the advice that all ADSL filters are the same
certainly is. Take a look here for a detailed explanation of why.

Just to drift slightly. I was with a BT engineer last week and he was
connecting one of the original "BT Engineer fitted filtered master
sockets". Actually we had relocated this early (circa 2000) model to a
new office. He mentioned there were two versions of this socket and we
had the earlier. Something did get upgraded on v1.1 according to him.

Anyway he mentioned that they were getting reports that these types of
filtered sockets were causing problems with some ADSL-Max connections.
Anyone else?
Old May 18th 06, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Or is it worth investing in a quality one?

I notice that some sell for 5-6+. Is it worth paying the extra for
these or are they the same as the bog standard ones you usually get
included with your modem?

If so, what are the best brands to buy?

In my opinion, they are all pretty equal. A bit like a garden hose
- there are expensive ones and cheap ones and probably even gold
plated but the water still comes out the end. It's the quality of
the water that matters, not the hose.

Very probably wrong, and the advice that all ADSL filters are the
same certainly is. Take a look here for a detailed explanation of
why.

http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php

Peter Crosland

Good link - thanks. Might be a bit biased since they recommend their
own as the best !

Well of course they do, but on a sound scientific basis as opposed to sales
bull!

Peter Crosland

Old May 18th 06, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Cheney

Or is it worth investing in a quality one?
I notice that some sell for 5-6+. Is it worth paying the extra for
these or are they the same as the bog standard ones you usually get
included with your modem?

I have tried several different microfilters and find that the amount of
audible hash on the phone varies significantly between them. In general, the
more expensive filters let through the least hash.

Whether it is worth paying the extra for a quieter phone is up to you, the
consumer!