Getting past a BT Voyager 210 modem to a firewall machine

Old May 18th 06, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default Getting past a BT Voyager 210 modem to a firewall machine

I have BT broadband and use the BT Voyager 210 ADSL modem. On the
'internal' side, this modem connects to a Linux firewall that filters
all traffic to and from my network. I have this setup working fine but
I want to be able to SSH into the fireall machine from 'outside', i.e.
when I am away from home, in order to monitor the system and perform
upgrades. I do this routinely with a similar cable-modem based system
in the US.

However, I can't see a way to do it. It looks as though the Voyager 210
presents itself to the internet with one IP address (86.144.62.x) and
to my firewall with another address (i.e. 192.168.1.x).

Now clearly the 192.168.x.x address it has allocated on the 'internal'
side is not visible from the big wide world outside, but if I try to
connect to the 'external' address, expecting to reach my firewall
machine, I get a 'welcome' page of the Voyager router. SSH requests to
the external address are also rejected.

This is going to be a pain if I cannot get past this ADSL modem and
access my firewall machine. Does anyone have any clue as to how to
achieve this?

Thanks,

Chris

Old May 18th 06, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Chris wrote:
[...]

You probably need to set up port forwarding, i.e. have 86.144.62.x:22
mapped to your firewall's :22 port.

Not sure how, or if, this can be done on the 205... most routers with
NAT have this option, though.

xF,

....Nick
Old May 18th 06, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tym

On Thu, 18 May 2006 10:54:07 +0100, Nick
wrote:

You probably need to set up port forwarding, i.e. have 86.144.62.x:22
mapped to your firewall's :22 port.

Not sure how, or if, this can be done on the 205... most routers with
NAT have this option, though.

Try http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Tym

~There's no place like 127.0.0.1~