Grandstream via PC + wifi?

Old May 18th 06, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Telephoneman

Default Grandstream via PC + wifi?

I had to move my ADSL wireless router/modem to the master socket in another
room to get a decent throughput. I'm now left with a Grandstream budge tone
100 sitting on my desk not connected to anything. My PC has a wireless card
and I was wondering if I could connect the phone via my PC using the
Ethernet socket. I have a UT-Starcomm wi-fi phone that I use for most calls
so it doesn't matter if the GS goes off with the PC (it's normally left on
anyway).

Is this possible/straightforward? I just wondered as this is how my son's
X-box live set-up works. I've plugged the phone into the PC but it's not
getting any IP address from the DHCP.

Liam

Old May 18th 06, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Doz

On Thu, 18 May 2006 10:34:07 +0100, Telephoneman wrote:

I had to move my ADSL wireless router/modem to the master socket in another
room to get a decent throughput. I'm now left with a Grandstream budge tone
100 sitting on my desk not connected to anything. My PC has a wireless card
and I was wondering if I could connect the phone via my PC using the
Ethernet socket. I have a UT-Starcomm wi-fi phone that I use for most calls
so it doesn't matter if the GS goes off with the PC (it's normally left on
anyway).

Is this possible/straightforward? I just wondered as this is how my son's
X-box live set-up works. I've plugged the phone into the PC but it's not
getting any IP address from the DHCP.

Liam

You could try ICS in windows.. or even bridge the 2 network devices to create
one logical network.. that may work.
Old May 18th 06, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

Telephoneman wrote:

Is this possible/straightforward? I just wondered as this is how my son's
X-box live set-up works. I've plugged the phone into the PC but it's not
getting any IP address from the DHCP.

use Internet Connection sharing to share the wireless card connection
via the Ethernet socket. Plug the ATA into the PC using a crossover
cable or via a hub / switch.

Phil

Old May 18th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

PhilT wrote:
use Internet Connection sharing to share the wireless card connection
via the Ethernet socket. Plug the ATA into the PC using a crossover
cable or via a hub / switch.

It's usually not possible to bridge with a wireless card unless your
software/firmware supports Access Point type operation.

Chris

Old May 19th 06, 08:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

Chris Davies wrote:
PhilT wrote:
use Internet Connection sharing to share the wireless card connection
via the Ethernet socket. Plug the ATA into the PC using a crossover
cable or via a hub / switch.

It's usually not possible to bridge with a wireless card unless your
software/firmware supports Access Point type operation.

good job I wasn't suggesting that then, isn't it :-)

The idea was to use ICS on the PC with the wireless internet connection
to provide a wired ethernet socket for the ATA. This works.

Phil

Old May 19th 06, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

PhilT wrote:
good job I wasn't suggesting that then, isn't it :-)

The idea was to use ICS on the PC with the wireless internet connection
to provide a wired ethernet socket for the ATA. This works.

Yes of course. I was trying to follow-up the previous poster, who had
suggested ICS. Finger trouble and lack of reading. Doh!

Chris
Old May 19th 06, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Telephoneman

Thanks for the help Guys. I got it working using ICS. I didn't have a
crossover so I used 2 long patch cords and a little switch I had laying
around. At first the PC was showing "a cable is unplugged", then I worked
out I had both ends of the same cable plugged in the switch! LOL.

Cheers,

Liam

Old May 20th 06, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Telephoneman wrote:

At first the PC was showing "a cable is unplugged", then I worked
out I had both ends of the same cable plugged in the switch! LOL.

BTDTGTTS!

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK