Migrate landline number(s) to VoIP?

Old May 18th 06, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

Default Migrate landline number(s) to VoIP?

I've been playing with VoIP and Asterisk for the past week or so. Reading
the postings here has been very helpful, but I am left with a few
questions...

Do I understand corretly that it is possible to migrate a landline number
to VOIP? What I mean is that when someone dials my current landline number
it doesn't go to the landline, but comes in on my VoIP?

If so, is the same possible with a block of 10 numbers on an ISDN line?

My aim is to ditch our ISDN2 line and run everything over VoIP, but it
would be nice to not have to change telephone numbers...

Herman
Old May 18th 06, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Herman" wrote in message
news
I've been playing with VoIP and Asterisk for the past
week or so. Reading the postings here has been very
helpful, but I am left with a few questions...

Do I understand corretly that it is possible to migrate a
landline number to VOIP? What I mean is that when someone
dials my current landline number it doesn't go to the
landline, but comes in on my VoIP?

If so, is the same possible with a block of 10 numbers on
an ISDN line?

My aim is to ditch our ISDN2 line and run everything over
VoIP, but it would be nice to not have to change
telephone numbers...

It's possible in theory, but it all depends on whether your landline
and/or VoIP provider can or will do it.

If you're using Asterisk then Gradwell have a service that may be of use:

http://www.gradwell.com/voip/asterisk.php

They also do a Centrex service for business use:

http://www.gradwell.com/voip/corporate.php

They also have a reputation for reliability, certainly I haven't had any
problems with my single line, apart from a small problem when I first
started which was very quickly ironed out.

Note though that unless things have changed in recent weeks they are only
able to port in numbers from the London 020 code and maybe one or two
others, I'm not sure. Peter Gradwell who runs the company posts here
sometimes, so he may be able to answer your questions.

Ivor

Old May 18th 06, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Ivor Jones wrote:

Note though that unless things have changed in recent weeks they are only
able to port in numbers from the London 020 code and maybe one or two
others, I'm not sure. Peter Gradwell who runs the company posts here
sometimes, so he may be able to answer your questions.

Ivor

http://www.gradwell.co.uk/voip/number_porting.php

Alternatively Voipfone say they can port numbers from most uk areas,
don't know anyone who's done it yet though.
Old May 18th 06, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alex

Herman wrote:
I've been playing with VoIP and Asterisk for the past week or so. Reading
the postings here has been very helpful, but I am left with a few
questions...

Do I understand corretly that it is possible to migrate a landline number
to VOIP? What I mean is that when someone dials my current landline number
it doesn't go to the landline, but comes in on my VoIP?

If so, is the same possible with a block of 10 numbers on an ISDN line?

Whether or not you can port the numbers will depend a bit on which ITSP
you're looking at. I've done quite a few ports for VoIPtalk and they
tend to go pretty smoothly. Downtime should be seconds, if that. The
main issue we have is that we can only port numbers from the South
East... :-(

Alex