CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Old May 19th 06, 12:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
gym

Default CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Can anyone help with this one please

My computer has an 80gig hard drive, I have three accounts set up in
XP, when I check the C drive it tells me that I have used 45Gig and
have around 35gig free.
I have been into Windows explorer, checked the accounts and counted the
space used up by the likes of Windows, program files and the like and
it comes to no more than 15Gig, I cannot find the extra 30Gig that is
supposed to be used up.
I ran CHKDSK and it came up with

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

I went into MY COMPTER right clicked the Cdrive and ran the error
checker clicking the box marked automatically fix problems, I restarted
the computer, it checked the files then started up again but It did not
free up any of the 45Gig,

Can anyone help with this please.

Kind Regards
JW

Old May 19th 06, 05:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Al Reeve

If I remember correctly, CHKDSK is a DOS program, the windows tool runs
SCANDSKW, a similar program with a nice GUI but different abilities. CHKDSK
/F should be run from a boot disk that loads a OS to memory and effectively
works on the drive with the file system not mounted. SCANDSKW tries to do
the same but as windows is running and the file system mounted it cannot do
some things. It may be able to do some stuff only after a reboot.

Al Reeve

ups.com...

Old May 20th 06, 09:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nick Austin

On 18 May 2006 16:24:47 -0700, "gym" wrote:

Can anyone help with this one please

My computer has an 80gig hard drive, I have three accounts set up in
XP, when I check the C drive it tells me that I have used 45Gig and
have around 35gig free.
I have been into Windows explorer, checked the accounts and counted the
space used up by the likes of Windows, program files and the like and
it comes to no more than 15Gig, I cannot find the extra 30Gig that is
supposed to be used up.

Have you emptied the Recycle Bin?

Nick.

Old May 20th 06, 10:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trev

"gym" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Could it be 3 x 15Gb

Old May 20th 06, 10:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dougal

gym wrote:

[...]

Start/Settings/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer
Management/Storage/Disk Management ...... should give you some clues.
(Assuming that XP looks like 2000 in this respect.)
Old May 21st 06, 05:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
gym

Thanks for replies
Have started CHKDSK from reboot, empty recycle bin.
management tells me "only one drive no partition, 42% used, 31G free
space of an 80G drive and Healthy"

Still don't know where the other 30G has gone

JW

Old May 22nd 06, 12:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

"gym" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for replies
Have started CHKDSK from reboot, empty recycle bin.
management tells me "only one drive no partition, 42% used, 31G free
space of an 80G drive and Healthy"

Still don't know where the other 30G has gone

JW

I use ExploreXP from http://www.explorerxp.com/ to gauge sizes of
directories etc for this sort of thing. It might be worth a look and to do
some sums to independently verify Windows own Explorer.

Old May 23rd 06, 01:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
gym

I NOW HAVE 54G OF FREE SPACE AND ONLY 20 USED

How did this happen, I switched off System Restore, and rebooted, that
was it.

First of all I tried to Restore the computer to a point two months ago,
it took an hour and a half to do this, when I opened up the new point I
had only 10% FREE space left, I quickly undid last Restore point, when
I arrived back to where I started I had only 12% Free, so, switched off
system restore and all is well, fingers crossed,
I am no expert but I have a niggle that the problem had something to do
with iTunes, I could be totally wrong, just a feeling.
Thank you all for replies and help.

That problem was on the kid's laptop, my desktop has an 80G hard
drive but it is partitioned, unlike the laptop,
it has a Cdrive, dackup drive and recovery drive, C drive is nearly
full, is there a simple way to make the Cdrive larger and the backup
smaller?
Thanks again

Old May 24th 06, 08:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
gym

Thanks Fred
Will have a look at it
James

Old June 11th 06, 09:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Hawkins

"gym" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You can change the maximum space that system restore can use by changing its
settings. The default in XP is 12% of the hard drive. It can be adjusted
down to a Max of 200MB. This would still allow 2 or 3 restore points which
could come in handy.

Richard