Belkin Modem with Built-in Wireless Router can't connect to Internet

Old May 19th 06, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Belkin Modem with Built-in Wireless Router can't connect to Internet

Hi guys! I'm a newbie here! I've tried googling for a solution to this
problem but I couldn't find the right solution for me.

Basically, my friend used BT Broadband, and he has been supplied with a
BT Voyager wireless modem (can't remember the model), but he wants to
use his Belkin F5D7632uk4A wireless G router+modem instead.
Unfortunately, the Belkin modem could not connect to the Internet, even
with the setting details we received from BT's customer service (in
India!).

Has any of you managed to get a Belkin modem working with BT? One of
the sites I found said that Belkin's products are not "BT-compatible",
but I doubt it. Prove me wrong if you can.

Old May 19th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

wrote:
Hi guys! I'm a newbie here! I've tried googling for a solution to this
problem but I couldn't find the right solution for me.

Basically, my friend used BT Broadband, and he has been supplied with a
BT Voyager wireless modem (can't remember the model), but he wants to
use his Belkin F5D7632uk4A wireless G router+modem instead.
Unfortunately, the Belkin modem could not connect to the Internet, even
with the setting details we received from BT's customer service (in
India!).

Has any of you managed to get a Belkin modem working with BT? One of
the sites I found said that Belkin's products are not "BT-compatible",
but I doubt it. Prove me wrong if you can.

It *should* work with any ADSL supplier... a few things to check off:-

1. Is the username right? AIUI, BT BB don't need a password.
2. Mode should be PPPoA
3. Encapsulation should be VC MUX
4. VPI and VCI should be 0 and 38, respectively
5. QoS class should be UBR
6. PCR/SCR/MBS (I don't know what these are, actually) are set to
4000/4000/10 for me.

I've got an F5D7630uk4-a (Micra Digital, though)... I don't know how
different they are, though.

If you can get a router log off of it, posting that would be a great
help - it can tell us whether the ADSL is failing to connect, or if it's
a problem with the PPP (authentication), etc...

xF,

....Nick

Old May 19th 06, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

Oh... and can you login using the [email protected]_domain login?

xF,

....Nick
Old May 19th 06, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Retired

Mine works OK with PlusNet, I just used the Wizard and it went first time.
My problem is to get the two other wireless connected computers to connect
reliably every time - they often stick on "acquiring network address"

Brian

ups.com...

Old May 20th 06, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 19 May 2006 23:05, "Retired" wrote:

My problem is to get the two other wireless connected computers to connect
reliably every time - they often stick on "acquiring network address"

Why not used fixed IP addresses for them all. DHCP seems quite "hit and
miss" (I've tried it now and then, and go back to fixed IP every time).

All you need to do is check the IP addresses for DNS (the router should
pick them up from the ISP, and report them in some system log), or get
them off the web with a search of newsgroups (posted in another NG
" I am currently using what I hope are alternate DNS, and the web pages
that wouldn't load before, happily load now - 212.135.1.36 and
199.166.29.3 are the IP's " )

I use 10.0.0.xx and you can easily set the router to be say 10.0.0.100
with PCs as 10.0.0.101, .102, .103, .104 etc Easy if you then want
to run something like an FTP Daemon or web server or mail server.
Old May 20th 06, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard

When I last tried it I used the same settings as you have listed here,
apart from the username and password. So what should they be? I know
the BT Voyager uses something like and the
password looks like a 4-character password. Should I leave both blank
in that case?

Old May 20th 06, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Sat, 20 May 2006, poster wrote:

On 19 May 2006 23:05, "Retired" wrote:

My problem is to get the two other wireless connected computers to
connect reliably every time - they often stick on "acquiring
network address"

Why not used fixed IP addresses for them all.

My answer would be that it's easier to get all the configuration data
(netmask, default gateway, DNS server addresses) appropriate to the
machine's location. With laptops it's a damned chore having to
maintain several different network configurations for all the places
it might be, and to take care to select the right one each time.

DHCP seems quite "hit and miss" (I've tried it now and then, and go
back to fixed IP every time).

I've never had any real problem with it on wire ethernet, but Windoze
seems to have a propensity, on wireless, to take its time with getting
the wireless link activated, by which time its DHCP client has lost
patience and picked one of those damned autoconfigure addresses. Once
it has done that, it seems to take a dose of pretty strong medicine to
discourage it again. (Of course I'm normally working on an
unprivileged user account for safety reasons, which rightly limits
what I'm entitled to do in the way of manual network reconfiguration.)

For that reason, I have indeed sometimes resorted to configuring
with fixed address and other configuration data on the wireless
interface at home. A damned nuisance when I move around though!

linux is much more controllable in this regard, and less likely to
bite with some unexpected and useless "feature" when one least expects
it.