Small business voip + wifi

Old May 19th 06, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Robert Hill

Default Small business voip + wifi

At work we have 2 separate bt accounts and 2 different numbers. All pcs are
linked by wifi. Only 1 computer utilises skype to talk to other commercial
users of skype, which is on the increase. We would like to keep existing tel
nos for incoming calls only, so utilising the existing Samsung system, but
have separate normal phones (approx 6) all linked into the wi fi system
utilising voip. Many calls are to mobiles, and also uk landlines. I would
like to retain Skype as we have plenty of contacts globally via this but
also have the ability to have a set monthly fee (like vonage etc) to make
unlimited landline calls, and also competitively priced mobile calls. Can we
link 6 phones into a wi fi network and have all this???? Or what is the
closest possibility?

Many thanks,
Robert

Old May 20th 06, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Robert Hill wrote:

At work we have 2 separate bt accounts and 2 different numbers. All pcs
are linked by wifi. Only 1 computer utilises skype to talk to other
commercial users of skype, which is on the increase. We would like to keep
existing tel nos for incoming calls only, so utilising the existing
Samsung system, but have separate normal phones (approx 6) all linked into
the wi fi system utilising voip. Many calls are to mobiles, and also uk
landlines. I would like to retain Skype as we have plenty of contacts
globally via this

Skype is completely separate from your phone system. Personally, I wouldn't
use WiFi phones at the moment; they don't offer a particularly good value
proposition compared to an ATA with a DECT handset plugged into it. I'm yet
to see a Wifi desk phone on the market.

but also have the ability to have a set monthly fee
(like vonage etc) to make unlimited landline calls, and also competitively
priced mobile calls. Can we
link 6 phones into a wi fi network and have all this???? Or what is the
closest possibility?

I would go for an Asterisk box, sitting between your Samsung and the phone
lines; the Samsung would talk to the Asterisk box and think it was talking
to the exchange. You can get it to do LCR/IVR/VM for you, and use it as
a 'gateway' to VoIP. That way, you can keep all your existing
infrastructure, and when you want to grow, you can add IP handsets as
extensions to your Asterisk system. You'll be able to add more 'trunks'
over the internet from the likes of Gradwell or Sipgate, which for
occasional use is far more cost effective than another BT line.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Old May 20th 06, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

Robert Hill wrote:
At work we have 2 separate bt accounts and 2 different numbers. All pcs are
linked by wifi. Only 1 computer utilises skype to talk to other commercial
users of skype, which is on the increase. We would like to keep existing tel
nos for incoming calls only, so utilising the existing Samsung system, but
have separate normal phones (approx 6) all linked into the wi fi system
utilising voip. Many calls are to mobiles, and also uk landlines. I would
like to retain Skype as we have plenty of contacts globally via this but
also have the ability to have a set monthly fee (like vonage etc) to make
unlimited landline calls, and also competitively priced mobile calls. Can we
link 6 phones into a wi fi network and have all this???? Or what is the
closest possibility?

Many thanks,
Robert

This is possible.

I think asterisk could do the trick Asterisk is a IP PBX. This, with
2 Linksys SPA 3000's, and 6 wifi VoIP phones will allow you to do what
you wish. Skype will be usable as usual on the machine you use it on,
and will not be able to be used by the wifi phones, i don't believe .
Skype is pathetic, and very uncomputable. Incoming calls will be able to
ring all of the wifi phones, some of them, or you could have a digital
receptionist, call queuing, or whatever else you can think of probably,
asterisk does loads.

Outgoing calls will be able to go out of whereever you wish. You can
configure them to go out of PSTN lines, or any SIP providers you wish.

www.blueface.ie do a business package for 24 for 'unlmited'calls to UK
and ireland.

Sean