2 Nat Routers

Old May 21st 06, 08:16 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jack Ouzzi

Default 2 Nat Routers

I have 3 desktops and a laptop all connected through a Belkin Wireless
Modem Router (2 wired - 2 wireless) I have been 'given' another ADSL
Modem Router with 4 wired ports.

Just want to experiment really and connect the 2 together to create an
alleged 'semi secure' and 'highly secure' network. Read a few articles
but cant quite anderstand the concept of 'wiring' the 2 together.
Disable DCHP on the 2nd router and connect via lan port to lan port? or
do I need a RJ11 to RJ45 cable ..... or am I way wide of the mark?

Old May 21st 06, 10:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Jack Ouzzi" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 3 desktops and a laptop all connected through a Belkin Wireless
Modem Router (2 wired - 2 wireless) I have been 'given' another ADSL
Modem Router with 4 wired ports.

Just want to experiment really and connect the 2 together to create an
alleged 'semi secure' and 'highly secure' network. Read a few articles
but cant quite anderstand the concept of 'wiring' the 2 together.
Disable DCHP on the 2nd router and connect via lan port to lan port? or
do I need a RJ11 to RJ45 cable ..... or am I way wide of the mark?

If you connect LAN port to LAN port, you'll gain two LAN ports. This is
functionally equivalent to connecting a four port switch to the first router
(ie you are using the second router as a switch); you still have just one
network.

You can't (well, it doesn't make sense and may cause damage to) connect the
second router's ADSL port to a LAN port on the first. Just like you can't
connect a dial-up modem or ordinary telephone.

Alex

Old May 21st 06, 06:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On 21 May 2006 00:16:57 -0700, "Jack Ouzzi"
wrote:

I have 3 desktops and a laptop all connected through a Belkin Wireless
Modem Router (2 wired - 2 wireless) I have been 'given' another ADSL
Modem Router with 4 wired ports.

Just want to experiment really and connect the 2 together to create an
alleged 'semi secure' and 'highly secure' network. Read a few articles
but cant quite anderstand the concept of 'wiring' the 2 together.
Disable DCHP on the 2nd router and connect via lan port to lan port? or
do I need a RJ11 to RJ45 cable ..... or am I way wide of the mark?

I think the second NAT router needs to be of the Cable type (DSL) as
an ADSL router needs a phone line for the incoming traffic.

Have a read of Steve Gibson's excellent site at
http://www.grc.com/SecurityNow.htm#40
and go to the article on NAT Routers as Firewalls near the bottom of
the page (Episode #3 | 01 Sep 2005 | 25 min).

Either listen to the podcast of download the PDF file.

For a quicker read try www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm

Geoff Lane

Old May 22nd 06, 01:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jack Ouzzi

Many thanks Geoff. The excellent article above prompted my question
..... I can't understand the 'electrical connection' paragraph!!

BTW the podcasts are the dogs dangly bits ..... such an enthusiastic
bloke!!