Newbie seeks advice

Old May 21st 06, 01:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Harley

Default Newbie seeks advice

Hi everyone

I have 2 questions -

1)I have two PCS in same room and one printer. What do I do to share the
printer with both PCs. Is it just networking the pcs together?

I am not that clear how to do this. Is there an idiots guide! Can anyone
help?

2)Also eventually I would like to connect both pcs wirelessly to access the
same printer. What would I need re equipment?

Thanks

Old May 21st 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mal

"Harley" wrote in message
Hi everyone

I have 2 questions -

1)I have two PCS in same room and one printer. What do I do to share the
printer with both PCs. Is it just networking the pcs together?

I am not that clear how to do this. Is there an idiots guide! Can anyone
help?

2)Also eventually I would like to connect both pcs wirelessly to access
the
same printer. What would I need re equipment?

Thanks

You might want to try www.practicallynetworked.com - it has a number of
guides for people that are not experts. There is also a forum somewhere on
there.

Old May 21st 06, 03:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Harley" wrote in message
1)I have two PCS in same room and one printer. What do I do to share the
printer with both PCs. Is it just networking the pcs together?

Networking is a prerequisite. There are basically two ways to share the
printer: attach it to one computer and share it so the other can use it, or
attach it to a print server. In the former case, the computer that the
printer is attached to must be switched on to allow you to print from the
other computer; a print server avoids this need.

It is worth pointing out that if both computers are in the same room it may
be simpler to connect the printer to the PC you want to print from. If the
printer is connected by parallel port, there are (or were) switches
available. I don't know about USB, but if all else fails you could use a
couple of extension leads (type A plug to type A socket) and plug/unplug as
desired.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/ springs to mind.

2)Also eventually I would like to connect both pcs wirelessly to access
the
same printer. What would I need re equipment?

In my opinion, for desktop computers (as opposed to laptops), wireless
networking should be considered a last resort - ie use it only when wires
are not practical. Compared to 100Mbit/s Ethernet, a standard 802.11g
("54g") wireless network is significantly slower (or worse), less reliable,
less secure (but acceptable if you use WPA-PSK encryption with a strong
password), and more expensive. In short, being wireless is the only thing it
has got in its favour.

Anyway, you'll need a wireless adapter for each computer (you can get USB
adapters but the consensus seems to be that they are not as reliable as
internal ones), and an access point (AP). As well as coordinating wireless
communication, an AP can bridge wired and wireless networks together.

There are various bits of kit you can buy that may be useful to you, besides
the above, such as wireless routers (which will share your Internet
connection and have a built-in AP), standalone wired or wireless print
servers, and routers with a built-in print server.

Alex