ADSL Max SNR setting

Old May 21st 06, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default ADSL Max SNR setting

I have a Vigor 2600VG router and upgraded to ADSL Max about a month
ago. Due to a problem with BT finding my line's MSR, I (like many
others) am plagued with disconnections.

Currently I syncronise at a down rate of 8128000 and have an SNR margin
of exactly 6dB. What I would like to do is set the required margin to
12dB in the hope that I will get a slower but much more stable
connection.

I am aware that there is something I can to CMV OPTN 11 to specify the
required margin but with all my tinkering, I have been unable to change
the required margin.

There is very little information about this on the web and I wondered
if there was anyone on this group that would like to give us a little
tutorial as I think it would help a lot of people.

Chris.

Old May 24th 06, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected]ghes.co.uk

John P wrote:

wrote:
I have a Vigor 2600VG router and upgraded to ADSL Max about a month
ago. Due to a problem with BT finding my line's MSR, I (like many
others) am plagued with disconnections.

Currently I syncronise at a down rate of 8128000 and have an SNR margin
of exactly 6dB. What I would like to do is set the required margin to
12dB in the hope that I will get a slower but much more stable
connection.

I am aware that there is something I can to CMV OPTN 11 to specify the
required margin but with all my tinkering, I have been unable to change
the required margin.

There is very little information about this on the web and I wondered
if there was anyone on this group that would like to give us a little
tutorial as I think it would help a lot of people.

Chris.

Chris

Sorry I am not able to give you any help with this but it is something
I would like to able to do with Vigor routers as well - or
alternatively limit the max synch rate - so if you find the details
elsewhere I hope you will post back here.

John

John

I believe there is an option (OPTN offset 7) to control the max sync
rate but I have tried to set it, and the router says that it cannot be
altered. Either this is restricted by Draytek so that we can't mess up
our routers or something else needs to be set to enable modifying this
option. I have asked Draytek about this and they were very positive
that something can be done by their R&D team for us. If I am sucessful
in setting the max down rate and I am not sworn to secrecy by Draytek,
I will point you in the right direction.

Chris

Old May 28th 06, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

John P wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Draytek have now responded to say that they will not be making this
function available for the 2600VG. Reading between the lines, this is
probably because the 2600 series has been replaced with the 2800 series
and it doesn't make commercial sense.

Pity, but you might like to know that I have been badgering BT about
this via my ISP for sometime and they have agreed to reduce the sync
speed. At 7Mb the line is a lot more stable. Still 128,000,000
errored blocks a day though! That can't be healthy?

Chris

Old June 7th 06, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John P

John P wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I have been doing a bit of experimenting. I loaded the UK2 firmware
(designed for long lines) on to my 2600. The immediate result was that
it synched about 200kbits slower than the original firmware with SNR
2-3db higher. It seems to me more stable and holds the line for longer
into the evening as the SNR drops. It has made no difference to
download speed, I still get downloads of 2900kbs with a synch speed of
3840kbs. I will run it for a few days and if at all possible let it
stay synched at its lowest speed to see how long I can maintain a
stable connection.

JP