New ADSL Device Required

Old May 21st 06, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

Default New ADSL Device Required

I've now had two Linksys ADSL2MUE modems. The first one failed to even
connect to the exchange, never mind syncing, the thing wouldn't even
light the DSL Light. It was like, the line wasn't there.

The second one does connect, but if you switch it off after a few hours
and restart, it again won't see the DSL circuit, unless you keep it
switched off for an hour or so (which makes me think it's a heat issue).

This when combined with "Typical problem with TI AR7 chipset CPEs...DSL
Sync issues, Heat issues, etc..." makes me wonder if I made the right
choice.

So Im looking for a new modem/router type device.

Only one ethernet is required (I already have a switch). Needs to have a
web management console and I'd like to be able to view the line stats.

I would prefer a modem, because I am a Linux geek. I like to setup and
run my own router with various virus scanning, caching proxy, intrusion
detection, firewalling, virus scanning and web porn blocking inititives
that are free and I dont have to pay extra for, like I would if it was a
router.

I upgraded to the current modem, a USB Alcatel Speedtouch "Frog" modem,
because I was only getting 2800kbps max out of the connection. It's
either the frog itself, or a problem with the USB, so I want to stay
clear of USB and stick with Ethernet.

If it must be a router, Im not sure what I'd want out of it. Should be
cheap as possible, but not shoddy. So that probably rules out Linksys.
I'd probably want to keep my Smoothwall, so therefore I'd either want to
configure the router as bridge only (working like a modem), or, switch
off NAT or port forward all ports to my smoothwall.

Though I guess I could probably get rid of the smoothwall and save
electricity. So I'd therefore be looking for port forwarding and nat
capabilities for a small network. There is the possibility at some stage
in the future, I might just want to get an IPv4 block of addresses,
which I don't know if a router would support.

Don't need DHCP, don't need virus scanning really, though a web
blacklist feature would be advantageous, if I can manage the site
classification correctly - ie, at work, Happy Tree Friends is classed as
violence.

Any recommendatins?

Thanks
Simon
Old May 21st 06, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Simon Dean wrote:

Any recommendatins?

PCI modem perhaps ?

There's a few around with linux compatibility.

Separate ethernet modems are a PITA with PPPoA.

Phil

Old May 21st 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

PhilT wrote:
Simon Dean wrote:

Any recommendatins?

PCI modem perhaps ?

There's a few around with linux compatibility.

Separate ethernet modems are a PITA with PPPoA.

Phil

Thought so. (see my next thread). Any suggestions?

Cheers
Simon
Old May 22nd 06, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Simon Dean wrote:

Thought so. (see my next thread). Any suggestions?

http://www.linuxadsl.co.uk/ sells the sangoma pci modem card 100 or
so.

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/ca...roducts_id=106
Conexant cheap as chips

Ebay Item number: 5873095998 40 or so Bewan ADSL PCI smoothwall
compatible
http://www.smoothwall.net/products/bewanadslpcist/

Phil

Old May 22nd 06, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Simon Dean wrote:
PhilT wrote:

Simon Dean wrote:

Any recommendatins?

PCI modem perhaps ?

There's a few around with linux compatibility.

Separate ethernet modems are a PITA with PPPoA.

Phil

Thought so. (see my next thread). Any suggestions?

Cheers
Simon

I am using a bewan and if you are prepared to fix bugs/compile kernels
then it doesn't seem too bad.

I am on day 11 of max and on a 3km 45db attenuation it syncs at around
6880 but drops too much evenings/weekends. I wanted it more stable and
got no interleave/increased margin so I limit it to 5696 now (= 10db
margin). Still had a few drops and may eventually go lower, but I don't
want to get stuck with a low bras rate - which is why I've not tried my
Connexant yet. It was fine at 2meg but I read it may fair worse on max.
You can find OEM Bewans sometimes for 20 something quid.

If you want an ethernet that just gives you IP and has a more modern
chipset then Andrews and Arnold rate this one -

http://www.aaisp.net.uk/p660r.html

Andy.