Advice please re. Sipgate

Old May 21st 06, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Cap Smith

Default Advice please re. Sipgate

I have just opened an account and it works fine on my computer with the
X-lite software. I now want to receive incoming calls without my computer
switched on.

1. What equipment do I need?
2. Will this work when I go abroad? (receive incoming calls without
computer switched on - I have adsl abroad).
3. Is it still free to receive incoming calls abroad?

C S

Old May 21st 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Cap Smith wrote:
I have just opened an account and it works fine on my computer with the
X-lite software. I now want to receive incoming calls without my computer
switched on.

1. What equipment do I need?

You need either a SIP phone/handset or an ATA (Analogue Telephone
Adapter) which allows you to connect a "normal" phone to your broadband
router so it can connect to Sipgate.

2. Will this work when I go abroad? (receive incoming calls without
computer switched on - I have adsl abroad).

If you take the ATA/handset with you, you should be able to log in from
abroad and make/receive calls as though you were at home.

3. Is it still free to receive incoming calls abroad?

Yes.
Old May 21st 06, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Cap Smith

"Paul Cupis" wrote in message
Cap Smith wrote:
I have just opened an account and it works fine on my computer with the
X-lite software. I now want to receive incoming calls without my
computer
switched on.

1. What equipment do I need?

You need either a SIP phone/handset or an ATA (Analogue Telephone
Adapter) which allows you to connect a "normal" phone to your broadband
router so it can connect to Sipgate.

2. Will this work when I go abroad? (receive incoming calls without
computer switched on - I have adsl abroad).

If you take the ATA/handset with you, you should be able to log in from
abroad and make/receive calls as though you were at home.

3. Is it still free to receive incoming calls abroad?

Yes.

Paul - thanks for prompt reply. Can you recommend a SIP phone?

Old May 21st 06, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alex

"Cap Smith" wrote in message

"Paul Cupis" wrote in message
Cap Smith wrote:
I have just opened an account and it works fine on my computer with the
X-lite software. I now want to receive incoming calls without my
computer
switched on.

1. What equipment do I need?

You need either a SIP phone/handset or an ATA (Analogue Telephone
Adapter) which allows you to connect a "normal" phone to your broadband
router so it can connect to Sipgate.

2. Will this work when I go abroad? (receive incoming calls without
computer switched on - I have adsl abroad).

If you take the ATA/handset with you, you should be able to log in from
abroad and make/receive calls as though you were at home.

3. Is it still free to receive incoming calls abroad?

Yes.

Paul - thanks for prompt reply. Can you recommend a SIP phone?

A sip phone plugs into your router / ethernet socket of your internet
connection and works like a normal phone on your sipgate line. You are
however always have to use *that* phone. If you get an ATA (eg sipura spa
2000, grandstream 486- theres something for you to google) that plugs into
your internet connection, does all the fancy work and then you can plug any
normal house phone into that, be it a corded one, or a dect phone so its
then a wireless line, connect it to multiple feeds in your house etc, so
your not limited to the same physical phone.

Old May 21st 06, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Alex" wrote in message

"Cap Smith" wrote in message

[snip]

Paul - thanks for prompt reply. Can you recommend a
SIP phone?

A sip phone plugs into your router / ethernet socket of
your internet connection and works like a normal phone on
your sipgate line. You are however always have to use
*that* phone. If you get an ATA (eg sipura spa 2000,
grandstream 486- theres something for you to google) that
plugs into your internet connection, does all the fancy
work and then you can plug any normal house phone into
that, be it a corded one, or a dect phone so its then a
wireless line, connect it to multiple feeds in your house
etc, so your not limited to the same physical phone.

Also to the OP please be aware that for SIP to work properly you will need
access to a broadband internet connection - either a dedicated SIP phone
or an ATA will need to plug into an Ethernet socket on your router or a
hub/switch attached somewhere to the network..

If you're using Sipgate take a look at their shop page, there are few good
items there, or www.voxilla.com has a wealth of information as well.

Ivor

Old May 22nd 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
I've got some SIP phones here that are 35 + p&p.

URL or make/model, please? Do they work reliably or do they feel as cheap
as they sound? (Er, perhaps that should be "do they sound as cheap as
they feel".)

Thanks,
Chris
Old May 22nd 06, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Chris Davies wrote:
Thomas Kenyon wrote:
I've got some SIP phones here that are 35 + p&p.

URL or make/model, please? Do they work reliably or do they feel as cheap
as they sound? (Er, perhaps that should be "do they sound as cheap as
they feel".)

Actually they feel quite nice.

I've never used them with the SIP firmware on, but they seem to be fine
as IAX phones. (problem in current firmware with attended transfers, but
I'm told that is only with the IAX firmware).

They have no bells or whistles, (not the PoE model and no headset port
and not the version with 2 ethernet ports) but they seem to just work.
(Using 2 at home and 11 at work).

http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_At320EE.html

or

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/AT-320

Thanks,
Chris

Old May 22nd 06, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Chris Davies wrote:

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
I've got some SIP phones here that are 35 + p&p.

URL or make/model, please? Do they work reliably or do they feel as cheap
as they sound? (Er, perhaps that should be "do they sound as cheap as
they feel".)

They've got a nice big clear [unlit] display, and the sound quality is
pretty good. The web interface is a bit pidgin, but they've allegedly open
sourced the firmware so hopefully that'll change soon. Some aspects are
annoying, like having to press 3 buttons to do a 'speed' dial, but there
isn't really anything major wrong with the phone.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
17:41:45 up 2 days, 11:38, 0 users, load average: 0.15, 0.12, 0.09

Old May 22nd 06, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

alexd wrote:
Chris Davies wrote:

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
I've got some SIP phones here that are 35 + p&p.

URL or make/model, please? Do they work reliably or do they feel as cheap
as they sound? (Er, perhaps that should be "do they sound as cheap as
they feel".)

They've got a nice big clear [unlit] display, and the sound quality is
pretty good. The web interface is a bit pidgin, but they've allegedly open
sourced the firmware so hopefully that'll change soon. Some aspects are
annoying, like having to press 3 buttons to do a 'speed' dial, but there
isn't really anything major wrong with the phone.

The source is available at www.aredfox.com.

I may have the full URL kicking about somewhere.