Line length checker?

Old May 21st 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xxxxxxxxxx

Default Line length checker?

Does anyone know if it is possible to check the length of the line from my
house to the exchange? Looks like the BT 17070 service needs an access code
now.

Any other options?

Thanks

Old May 21st 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"xxxxxxxxxx" wrote in message
Does anyone know if it is possible to check the length of the line from my
house to the exchange? Looks like the BT 17070 service needs an access
code
now.

Any other options?

Thanks

Get the post code of it from http://www.samknows.com and then use multimap
to find the distance between your house and the exchange.

Old May 21st 06, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xxxxxxxxxx

James

This does not give an acccurate distance since the line may not run directly
from the house to the exchange. In my case it does, but Multimap shows the
exchange in the wrong place.
The BT test was / is calculated using the copper line itself. I assume the
test signal varied due to the length of the line and was then translated
into a known distance.

Old May 21st 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"xxxxxxxxxx" wrote in message
James

This does not give an acccurate distance since the line may not run
directly from the house to the exchange. In my case it does, but Multimap
shows the exchange in the wrong place.
The BT test was / is calculated using the copper line itself. I assume the
test signal varied due to the length of the line and was then translated
into a known distance.

My apologies. I have seen an online checker somewhere that tells you this
but can't remember the site.

I am contemplating leaving Plus Net after this regrade fiasco.

Old May 21st 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xxxxxxxxxx

James

Where would you go?

If you are referring to the poor speed problems due to AdslMax they have
more to do with BT than the ISPs.

Old May 21st 06, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Im aTroll

"xxxxxxxxxx" wrote in message
James

Where would you go?

If you are referring to the poor speed problems due to AdslMax they have
more to do with BT than the ISPs.

Here you go...
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/distance.php

And next time, please don't top post. Thanks.

Old May 21st 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xxxxxxxxxx

Troll

Can't apologise since I don't know what " top post " means. If you explain I
will avoid doing it again.

This link dosn't help since it gives a distance "as the crow flies" . Hardly
the length of the line since it is well known they follow roads and go round
corners - all increasing the lenth of cable.

Old May 21st 06, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RChick

"Im aTroll" wrote in message
"xxxxxxxxxx" wrote in message
James

Where would you go?

If you are referring to the poor speed problems due to AdslMax they have
more to do with BT than the ISPs.

Here you go...
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/distance.php

And next time, please don't top post. Thanks.

It is a line length checker that was asked for by xxxxxxxxxx. Your link
only gives the distance as the crow flies.

Old May 21st 06, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to check the length of the line from my
house to the exchange? Looks like the BT 17070 service needs an access code
now.

Any other options?

Thanks

Call up BT and ask their planning office for the wiring plans for your
area...?

Failing that, a GENERAL idea can be gotten by dividing the d/s
attenuation by anything between 9 to 16, which gives you a distance in
kilometers.

10dB/km is the nominal attenuation for 0.5mm copper, with no joints.
13.81 is (apparently) the dB/km measure for 0.4mm copper. No more than
an extremely rough guide, though...

xF,

....Nick
Old May 21st 06, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Sun, 21 May 2006 20:53:07 +0100, "xxxxxxxxxx" wrote:

"Im aTroll" wrote in message
"xxxxxxxxxx" wrote in message
James

Where would you go?

If you are referring to the poor speed problems due to AdslMax they have
more to do with BT than the ISPs.

Here you go...
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/distance.php

And next time, please don't top post. Thanks.

Can't apologise since I don't know what " top post " means. If you explain I
will avoid doing it again.

Top posting means placing the text of your response at the top of the
post - i.e. before the text to which you are responding, meaning that
those who want the context have to read the paragraphs in a disjointed
order.

This link dosn't help since it gives a distance "as the crow flies" . Hardly
the length of the line since it is well known they follow roads and go round
corners - all increasing the lenth of cable.

I don't think there are any now which will give an actual estimate of
line length, and TBH it really isn't important anyhow.

They will now attempt to give you ADSL no matter what length your line
is, and the actual attenuation and SNR are what matter, regardless of
the line length, which is only very roughly related.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Honk if you love peace and quiet.