Please help me avoid cutting my wrists...

Old May 21st 06, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Going Slowly Mad

Default Please help me avoid cutting my wrists...

I've recently migrated to Eclipse.

I was getting just under 1mb, which was fairly stable using a Dlink 804T -
disconnects maybe once a month, or so.

After switching to Eclipse the speed rose to between 2mb - 3mb, but after
the first day (which was nice and stable) the router began losing connection
and requiring a router re-boot to get back online.

After checking all the settings I upgraded the firmware via the Australian
V2, followed by the latest version on the Russian Dlink site.

No better, no worse - different interface, but same disconnect problem.

I know that the line is subject to disconnects during the training period -
but Eclipse assure me that the problem lies at my end, and they don't
support Dlink.

After reading up on the subject, I am of the opinion that it might be caused
proxy DNS cache filling up. There are various fixes on the net for some
Dlink routers, all of which involve turning off DNS caching. Trouble is,
the 604T doesn't appear to have this facility.

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received.

Old May 21st 06, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

On Sun, 21 May 2006 18:48:01 +0100, Going Slowly Mad wrote:

After reading up on the subject, I am of the opinion that it might be
caused proxy DNS cache filling up. There are various fixes on the net for
some Dlink routers, all of which involve turning off DNS caching. Trouble
is, the 604T doesn't appear to have this facility.

If you think it might be a problem with DNS proxying, you can test it by
configuring the PCs with the IP addresses of the ISP's DNS servers
Old May 21st 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Going Slowly Mad

"Bob" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 21 May 2006 18:48:01 +0100, Going Slowly Mad wrote:

After reading up on the subject, I am of the opinion that it might be
caused proxy DNS cache filling up. There are various fixes on the net
for
some Dlink routers, all of which involve turning off DNS caching.
Trouble
is, the 604T doesn't appear to have this facility.

If you think it might be a problem with DNS proxying, you can test it by
configuring the PCs with the IP addresses of the ISP's DNS servers

Yes, thanks for your reply - I've just tried that, and the jury is still
out.

Shouldn't be too long to wait - the problem occurs at about 1 hour
intervals...

I'm assuming that it's DNS related because the LAN still function and the
ADSL light remains on - just no web surfing.

This might be a dumb question, but will disabling the DNS in the router also
prevent all caching? - I assume that it will.

Old May 21st 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PL

Going Slowly Mad wrote:
...because the LAN still function and the
ADSL light remains on - just no web surfing.

It seems that I've got exactly the same problem as you, using a Solwise
router. Email and surfing drops out, but I still get connectivity with
my VoIP MTA - is that curious?

I haven't paid that much attention, but I reckon on having to re-boot
2-3 times a day over a 12 hour period (9am -9pm). I would say it only
started a couple of days ago.
Old May 21st 06, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Moralist

"PL" wrote in message
Going Slowly Mad wrote:
...because the LAN still function and the
ADSL light remains on - just no web surfing.

It seems that I've got exactly the same problem as you, using a Solwise
router. Email and surfing drops out, but I still get connectivity with my
VoIP MTA - is that curious?

I haven't paid that much attention, but I reckon on having to re-boot 2-3
times a day over a 12 hour period (9am -9pm). I would say it only started
a couple of days ago.

Mmmm - I migrated on Wednesday last week - stable and fast (to me) all day -
problem started on Thursday. Something to do with BT, perhaps?

Anyway - turning off DNS seems to have made a difference - still connected
without a problem (although I have noticed the LAN icon on the task bar
telling me that the 'local area network is now connected' - which,
presumably, means that the connection has been interrupted without me
noticing it.

As long as the router reconnects itself and I don't have to reboot every
hour, I'm happy.

Perhaps turning off DNS will also help solve your woes - worth a go, anyway.

Old May 22nd 06, 06:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rolleston

"Going Slowly Mad" writes:
[...]

You might choose to disable the DNS relay of the router and then on the
computers that are connected to the router specify Eclipse's DNS addresses.

If you need more detail, please ask.

R.
Old May 23rd 06, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Winkless

Going Slowly Mad wrote:
After reading up on the subject, I am of the opinion that it might be caused
proxy DNS cache filling up. There are various fixes on the net for some
Dlink routers, all of which involve turning off DNS caching. Trouble is,
the 604T doesn't appear to have this facility.

Yes, it does. Under "Setup - DNS" change "DNS Relay Selection" to
"Disable DNS Relay". If you then set the DNS entries manually to those
of your ISP both in the DNS screen and the DHCP screen, any machines
using DHCP from your router should pick up those DNS servers correctly.

This is using firmware version V1.00B02T02.UK.20050815, available from
the DLink site.

Geoff