A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) (uk.telecom.voip) Discussion of topics relevant to packet based voice technologies including Voice over IP (VoIP), Fax over IP (FoIP), Voice over Frame Relay (VoFR), Voice over Broadband (VoB) and Voice on the Net (VoN) as well as service providers, hardware and software for use with these technologies. Advertising is not allowed.

Hosted Asterisk Solutions



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 21st 06, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
linker3000
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 75
Default Hosted Asterisk Solutions

Right,

Assuming our pilot project is a success, it looks like we may need more
bandwidth for our needs, as a plain old 8Mbit/488K broadband link may
not do the job.

The end system will not be 'mission critical' so moving to E1s would be
overkill so I guess I have to consider SDSL or a hosted solution - the
latter is the subject of this hour's question from me - would any kind
soul point me in the direction of a UK hosting/co-lo service provider
that is Asterisk friendly. The other option I guess is to use a virtual
PBX solution from someone like voip.co.uk - any comments.

With that question out of the way I will leave you in peace for a while,
but many thanks to those who have already replied to earlier questions.

L3K
  #2  
Old May 21st 06, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 802
Default Hosted Asterisk Solutions

linker3000 wrote:
Assuming our pilot project is a success, it looks like we may need more
bandwidth for our needs, as a plain old 8Mbit/488K broadband link may
not do the job.


"plain old 8Mbit/488Kb broadband"? LOL

The end system will not be 'mission critical' so moving to E1s would be
overkill so I guess I have to consider SDSL or a hosted solution - the
latter is the subject of this hour's question from me - would any kind
soul point me in the direction of a UK hosting/co-lo service provider
that is Asterisk friendly. The other option I guess is to use a virtual
PBX solution from someone like voip.co.uk - any comments.


Most colocation providers should be suitable - I don't know of any who's
service would be inappropriate for hosting an asterisk PBX. Do you have
any specific requirements which would make a company more or less
"asterisk friendly" ?

The only thing I can think of would be reliability/update/support (not
specific to asterisk) and connectivity to other networks
(upstreams/clients) to minimise latency?
  #3  
Old May 21st 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 254
Default Hosted Asterisk Solutions

Paul Cupis wrote:

The only thing I can think of would be reliability/update/support (not
specific to asterisk) and connectivity to other networks
(upstreams/clients) to minimise latency?


And of course bandwidth costs.

The last time I looked, the cheapest hosted service (bandwidth-wise) was
the reg-123 one (which it looks like they've finally renamed, seemed a
bit silly calling it Linux 2000 etc. when the servers were running FreeBSD.

I've no idea how good the service is like (never used them).
  #4  
Old May 23rd 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Gradwell
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 128
Default Hosted Asterisk Solutions

linker3000 wrote:
Right,

Assuming our pilot project is a success, it looks like we may need more
bandwidth for our needs, as a plain old 8Mbit/488K broadband link may
not do the job.

The end system will not be 'mission critical' so moving to E1s would be
overkill so I guess I have to consider SDSL or a hosted solution - the
latter is the subject of this hour's question from me - would any kind
soul point me in the direction of a UK hosting/co-lo service provider
that is Asterisk friendly. The other option I guess is to use a virtual
PBX solution from someone like voip.co.uk - any comments.


are you running any specific / custom software on your asterisk system,
or is it all 'standard' stuff? - because if so, a hosted PBX would be
cheaper.

That said, Loud-n-clear (www.lnc.net) and NCUK (www.ncuk.com) both do
colo and are very well connected to a company like mine, for the
asterisk bit.

cheers
peter

--
peter gradwell. gradwell dot com Ltd. http://www.gradwell.com/
-- engineering & hosting services for email, web and voip --
-- http://www.peter.me.uk/ -- http://www.voip.org.uk/ --
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hosted Softswitch - Nextone Proxy with Online Route Management Holby uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 8 January 21st 06 12:07 AM
Cheap NAs solutions Simon Finnigan uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 14 November 30th 05 03:34 PM
Integrated Voip Solutions Jim Rolan uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 March 16th 05 01:46 AM
Confusing Centrino WiFi solutions? Richard Lewis uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 1 November 3rd 04 09:28 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.