PAP2 or SPA1001

Old May 22nd 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

Default PAP2 or SPA1001

Apart from the two PSTN ports on the PAP2 is there any real difference inside?
'cos the PAP2 seems to be available *much* cheaper.

Thanks.

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Old May 22nd 06, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Dave Saville wrote:
Apart from the two PSTN ports on the PAP2 is there any real difference inside?
'cos the PAP2 seems to be available *much* cheaper.

They are almost the same.

Beware of devices locked to a service provider.

Tim
Old May 22nd 06, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

Beware of devices locked to a service provider.

Tim

I was going to *commend* the Vonage locked PAP2 from Comet or PC world.
I had no problem unlocking it and its the best 20 quid I've spent this
year!

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 22nd 06, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On 22 May 2006 21:05:00 +0200, "Graham" wrote:

Beware of devices locked to a service provider.

Tim

I was going to *commend* the Vonage locked PAP2 from Comet or PC world.
I had no problem unlocking it and its the best 20 quid I've spent this
year!

If I had the same confidence about unlocking I would do it. I had one
that started to load up with the firmware..lights flashing ..all
looking good...then there was a glitch and everything stopped.
After that there was no web interface and it was unusable.
Unless there is a foolproof way of doing it with a PAP2 you can buy
today I'd be loathed to risk it. It is good that you had sucess
though.
For the 1001:
I can't understand why there is such a price difference between the
prices charged in other countries, even the EU, and especially the US,
and here in the UK.
Cheapest I found in the US was 31.
Here they seem to charge between 65 and, yes, 100 on one web site.
I am reluctant to buy when I see such disparity.
Is there any import duty or VAT levied if bought from an EEC country
where VAT has been charged?

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old May 23rd 06, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Brian A wrote:

Is there any import duty or VAT levied if bought from an EEC country
where VAT has been charged?

EEC vat law is very complicated, but in simple terms.

Presuming you aren't VAT registered, then if you buy from an EEC country
the seller should apply VAT at their countries rate.

Tim
Old May 23rd 06, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Tue, 23 May 2006, Tim Bray writes

Presuming you aren't VAT registered, then if you buy from an EEC
country the seller should apply VAT at their countries rate.

apostrophe police
countries rate = country's rate
/apostrophe police

;-)
Old May 23rd 06, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Tue, 23 May 2006 12:26:03 +0100, David Floyd
wrote:

In message of Tue, 23 May 2006, Tim Bray writes

Presuming you aren't VAT registered, then if you buy from an EEC
country the seller should apply VAT at their countries rate.

apostrophe police
countries rate = country's rate
/apostrophe police

;-)

You are right David but haven't explained why.
Lots of people don't know the difference.

countries = more than one country.
eg. In relation to economic size Japan and China are among the top
countries in the world.

country's = something belonging to that country
The country's capital is Paris.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old May 23rd 06, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Brian A" wrote in message

[snip]

You are right David but haven't explained why.
Lots of people don't know the difference.

countries = more than one country.
eg. In relation to economic size Japan and China are
among the top countries in the world.

country's = something belonging to that country
The country's capital is Paris.

But if referring to more than one country as in the original post,
shouldn't it be

"the seller should apply VAT at their countries' rate" - ? (Note the
trailing apostprophe).

Ivor

Old May 23rd 06, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lansbury

On 22 May 2006 21:05:00 +0200, "Graham" wrote:

I was going to *commend* the Vonage locked PAP2 from Comet or PC world.
I had no problem unlocking it and its the best 20 quid I've spent this
year!

I was going that route until I read somewhere that later versions couldn't be
unlocked. Is that correct and if so is there a way to tell the version before
purchase?

--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
Old May 23rd 06, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Tue, 23 May 2006, Ivor Jones writes

"Brian A" wrote in message

[snip]

You are right David but haven't explained why.
Lots of people don't know the difference.

countries = more than one country.
eg. In relation to economic size Japan and China are
among the top countries in the world.

country's = something belonging to that country
The country's capital is Paris.

But if referring to more than one country as in the original post,
shouldn't it be

"the seller should apply VAT at their countries' rate" - ? (Note the
trailing apostprophe).

You do like to get involved in things don't you Ivor. And keep things
off topic in the newsgroup you created too.

Off topic - the seller cannot be in more than one country at the same
time. Just read it again and think about it, or maybe your problem is
that you read too much of Dexter's unreadable English (if you can call
it that)