Limit downstream rate ADSL Max - Belkin, Billion

Old May 23rd 06, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Default Limit downstream rate ADSL Max - Belkin, Billion

Some people would benefit on MaxDSL by limiting the sync speed in order
to get a higher SNR margin, less errors, fewer disconnections etc. Many
routers have this capability but its a bit obscure. Even Voyager 105
USB modems have it !

My Belkin 7632-uk4 does have the feature, running firmware
F5D7632v1.UK.1.00.09 (Jul 13 2005 19:14:46). The telnet command 'port
a1 status' shows a setting MaxDownRate which was set to 4096. Turns
out this should be set in multiples of 32k, hence with it at 72 my
fixed speed 2M service will connect, but at 36 (1M limit) it won't.

This feature was brought to my attention by
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=dslrouter&Number=24717 80
which refers to a Billion 7402R2.

The command sequence to set the limit is :-

port a1 set ActivateLine Abort
port a1 set MaxDownRate value
port a1 set ActivateLine Start

value being 0 to 255 (255 x 32 = 8160)
so a setting of 115 = 3680 kbits/s download approx.

then 'system config save' saves the setting (worth trying it out first
though !)

Other routers probably share the same command set, so if the above
looks familiar give it a try and report back..

Phil

Old May 23rd 06, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 23 May 2006 "PhilT" wrote:

This feature was brought to my attention by ...
which refers to a Billion 7402R2.

Thanks for the info, on both the Billion and your results with a Belkin!

Peter M.