Plusnet?

Old May 23rd 06, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

Default Plusnet?

Is there anyone here with a good word to say about this company?

They do have the best deal on a month by month contract..

thanks

Old May 23rd 06, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote:
Is there anyone here with a good word to say about this company?

They do have the best deal on a month by month contract..

It depends what you want. If your main interest is browsing and email then
they are fine. If you want binaries and don't expect to pay for them then
they are not. Overall they have been very reliable for me. They are getting
a lot of quite unjustified stick for the BT MAX DSL fiasco.

Peter Crosland

Old May 23rd 06, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Eborn

Try calling their support line if you have been "upgraded" - it has a
recorded message that says this will cause instability for 14 days and
they will not talk to you for that period!
I don't think that the stick that they are getting is unjustifed -
their support appears to be completey swamped - they should either
have got more support people or staggered moving their customers so
that they could deal with the problems.

Chris

Old May 23rd 06, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Chris Eborn wrote:
Try calling their support line if you have been "upgraded" - it has a
recorded message that says this will cause instability for 14 days and
they will not talk to you for that period!
I don't think that the stick that they are getting is unjustifed -
their support appears to be completey swamped - they should either
have got more support people or staggered moving their customers so
that they could deal with the problems.

You are missing the point Chris. The MAX DSL fiasco is entirely of BT's
making. Plusnet are the ones having to insulate BT from all the flack.

Peter Crosland

Old May 23rd 06, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Eborn

Maybe I should have been a bit more specific about my particular
problem - I was
moved rom BT to Tiscali circuits by Plusnet. If they could not deal
with the possible support issues involved with this then they should
not have moved (LLU) me. If you are up to your neck in poo (whoever
caused the poo) then you should not do things that could cause more poo
- or get more people to help dig you out.

Chris

Old May 23rd 06, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Winkless

ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Is there anyone here with a good word to say about this company?

They do have the best deal on a month by month contract..

If you want binary usenet expect to pay extra for it - my recommendation
would be easynews - and if you want large downloads and can't figure out
how to do most of your downloading between 12 midnight and 4pm then
they're probably not for you.

Having said that, on balance I'm still happy with them. They have the
occasional technical hiccup and their marketing department deserves
shooting (count the number of "great news!" emails I've had which turn
out to be details of more restrictions on my account - grrrrr) but the
system works well most of the time and the service and free extras you
get (hosting up to 3 domains for you, a CGI server, static IP address
etc) are a bargain.

Geoff
Old May 23rd 06, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Chris Eborn wrote:
Maybe I should have been a bit more specific about my particular
problem - I was
moved rom BT to Tiscali circuits by Plusnet. If they could not deal
with the possible support issues involved with this then they should
not have moved (LLU) me. If you are up to your neck in poo (whoever
caused the poo) then you should not do things that could cause more
poo - or get more people to help dig you out.

Noted. That is a different pile of poo! I agree that Plusnet should put the
effort into sorting that.

Peter Crosland

Old May 23rd 06, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
thoss

On Tue, 23 May 2006 ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Is there anyone here with a good word to say about this company?

In a recent survey of customer satisfaction, PlusNet came out top.
--
Thoss

Old May 23rd 06, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
K A Nuttall

ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote in article
:

Is there anyone here with a good word to say about this company?

They do have the best deal on a month by month contract..

You get what you pay for.

--
K A Nuttall
www.yammer.co.uk
Old May 23rd 06, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

"ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa" wrote:

Is there anyone here with a good word to say about this company?

They have been reliable as a means of connection to the internet (I know
a number of customers) but they have also been advertising products with
limited transparency about any restrictions, and have certainly been the
ISP which has been "moving the goalposts" a lot, especially concerning a
few aspects (traffic allowances in particular) and then withdrawing some
items (binary newsgroups was withdrawn, Batch FTP has failed but not yet
been removed from their "services", the postcode lookup can show rubbish
on some entries - eg a farm name and postcode without any other info).

They do have the best deal on a month by month contract..

You need to explain what you mean for "best deal". If you check the T+C
you will see that changing from their service will mean they require the
repayment of the activation fee on a sliding scale going from 40 +VAT in
the first 12 months, and reducing by 20% in subsequent years. If you're
looking for "free" connection, then this isn't it... nor are most, while
this 60 months "clawback" time is exceptional and Plus.Net had many that
complained that claiming it was "Free" was misleading without giving the
reader a simple way to see that it was meant to be "You Stay, We Pay".