Disaster At Eclipse Internet tonight - all support staff dead.....

Old May 23rd 06, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Drummond

Default Disaster At Eclipse Internet tonight - all support staff dead.....

....that can be the only explanation for me waiting in a call queue for their
tech support for 32 minutes! - and, no, I didn't get through in the end, I
just gave up.

I haven't been with them long - the speed is abysmal, the sales staff *very*
cagey about the amount of bandwidth restriction taking place, and tech
support appear to be soundly asleep, or dead.

I need a MAC, I think - any suggestions for a decent ISP?

Old May 23rd 06, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ryan

Oh dear, it is sad to see this as they were very good, just a short
while ago. As others hint round here, I'd leave changing until BT have
sorted themselves out as many other ISP's have issues as well (I think
with the huge support that max is costing them all).

Ryan

Old May 23rd 06, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 23-May-2006, "Drummond" wrote:

I haven't been with them long - the speed is abysmal, the sales staff *very*
cagey about the amount of bandwidth restriction taking place, and tech
support appear to be soundly asleep, or dead.

Yhe problem is that a lot of ISP's don't buy enough upstream bandwidth
to LINX, so at peak times they are saturated, delivered bandwidth restricts
itself. They would rather pay for advertising than improve their service and
customer support.
And of course customer support doesn't see any problems,
they are connected to the backbone.
Old May 23rd 06, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Chip

On Tue, 23 May 2006 20:24:30 +0100, "Drummond"
wrote:

...that can be the only explanation for me waiting in a call queue for their
tech support for 32 minutes! - and, no, I didn't get through in the end, I
just gave up.

I haven't been with them long - the speed is abysmal, the sales staff *very*
cagey about the amount of bandwidth restriction taking place, and tech
support appear to be soundly asleep, or dead.

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=openoutages

Outage Ticket: 2955 OPEN
Outage Date: 22 May 2006 at 14:47:36
Affecting: Other Services, see details.
Details: 22 May 2006 at 14:48:12
Some customers may be experiencing an issue with the performance of
their Internet connection when using file sharing applications.
Eclipse engineers are currently investigating the traffic management
system recently implemented to isolate and resolve the issue. Eclipse
apologises for any inconvenience caused.

--

Joe Chip

We Can Remember It For You, Inc.
Old May 23rd 06, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Drummond

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, saw that advisory last night - shouldn't affect me because I'm not
file sharing. I hadn't noticed the bit about 'traffic management', perhaps
that explains my super-doopa 46KB/s speed? they're throttling my connection
to death.

Old May 23rd 06, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"Drummond" wrote in message
...that can be the only explanation for me waiting in a call queue for
their tech support for 32 minutes! - and, no, I didn't get through in the
end, I just gave up.

I haven't been with them long - the speed is abysmal, the sales staff
*very* cagey about the amount of bandwidth restriction taking place, and
tech support appear to be soundly asleep, or dead.

I need a MAC, I think - any suggestions for a decent ISP?

That's nothing
Someone I know was on the phone to BT Broadband in a queue for over 2 hours
some time last week

Old May 24th 06, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Drummond

"Nicola Redwood" wrote in message

"Drummond" wrote in message
...that can be the only explanation for me waiting in a call queue for
their tech support for 32 minutes! - and, no, I didn't get through in the
end, I just gave up.

I haven't been with them long - the speed is abysmal, the sales staff
*very* cagey about the amount of bandwidth restriction taking place, and
tech support appear to be soundly asleep, or dead.

I need a MAC, I think - any suggestions for a decent ISP?

That's nothing
Someone I know was on the phone to BT Broadband in a queue for over 2
hours some time last week

Ouch! presumably, they were youngish? - with low blood pressure?

As you get older you realise that some things are not worth dying for

Old May 24th 06, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rolleston

"Nicola Redwood" writes:
"Drummond" wrote in message
...that can be the only explanation for me waiting in a call queue for
their tech support for 32 minutes! - and, no, I didn't get through in the
end, I just gave up.

I haven't been with them long - the speed is abysmal, the sales staff
*very* cagey about the amount of bandwidth restriction taking place, and
tech support appear to be soundly asleep, or dead.

I need a MAC, I think - any suggestions for a decent ISP?

That's nothing
Someone I know was on the phone to BT Broadband in a queue for over 2 hours
some time last week

I knew a chap once, stuck on the phone to *cough splutter mumble*, in the desert,
without food or water, being preyed upon by scorpions, for NINETY THOUSAND YEARS.

R.
Old May 24th 06, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Lyons

Yhe problem is that a lot of ISP's don't buy enough upstream bandwidth
to LINX, so at peak times they are saturated, delivered bandwidth
restricts
itself.

What on earth are you talking about. You don't buy upstream bandwidth to
Linx you peer at Linx
Linx is a peering point where ISP's exchange traffic, 100mbit is minimum,
most are 1000mbit or more and I doubt any ISP would ever get network
congestion because of capacity at Linx.

DSL services are delivered over BT Central pipes which connect the BT
network to the ISP's network, in most cases the ISP's congestion is at the
BT central because they overload that part of the network. (The BT central
is the most expensive part of the DSL system, hence the reason for it to be
overloaded)

JL

Old May 24th 06, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 24-May-2006, "John Lyons" wrote:

Linx is a peering point where ISP's exchange traffic, 100mbit is minimum,
most are 1000mbit or more and I doubt any ISP would ever get network
congestion because of capacity at Linx.

I didn't claim the problem was at LINX, but rather insufficient bandwidth
to cover peak (evening) demand between LINX and the ISP.

It's very noticeable if you are running P2P, during the evening, very
slow but after midnight (2 - 6am) when both the US and the UK
are fast asleep (except the gambling and game addicts) it goes like
stink.
Same applies to other streaming services. Shades of the
Madonna concert live, everybody seemed to be streaming it.