Best Broadband Speedtest?

Old May 24th 06, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

Default Best Broadband Speedtest?

I've just been upgraded to up to 8 Mbps and I've been testing what speed I'm
getting on a few of the available speedtests but they all seem to give
wildly different results. I've heard that MaxDSL is a bit variable anyway,
but are some speedtests better than others, and if so which are the better
ones?

Find the cheapest Freeview & DAB prices:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/fr..._receivers.php
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab/dab_radios.php

Old May 24th 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris French

In message , DAB sounds worse
than FM writes
I've just been upgraded to up to 8 Mbps

Or rather MaxADSL, which is rather different....

and I've been testing what speed I'm
getting on a few of the available speedtests but they all seem to give
wildly different results. I've heard that MaxDSL is a bit variable anyway,

By design.

but are some speedtests better than others, and if so which are the better
ones?

I tend to think that these speedtests need taking with a bit of salt.-
at best they can give an idea of where you are at, but I've had a
difference of 2000 - 3000 Mb/s uisng the same speedtester in the space
of les than 30 minutes.

But I could certainly see that there was a 2 Mb (ish) cap on the line
for the first few days (as expected) and when that had gone.

--
Chris French, Leeds
Old May 24th 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote in message
I've just been upgraded to up to 8 Mbps and I've been testing what speed
I'm getting on a few of the available speedtests but they all seem to give
wildly different results. I've heard that MaxDSL is a bit variable anyway,
but are some speedtests better than others, and if so which are the better
ones?

Download a few large files from your ISP's ftp site and see the speed and
variation.

I find NetMeter useful: http://readerror.gmxhome.de/ You can soon see
whether you are getting something reasonable but it is important to test the
speed of your link, not other parts of the net that your ISP doesn't have
control over.

--
Tony W
My e-mail address has no hyphen

Old May 24th 06, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

Chris French wrote:
In message , DAB sounds worse
than FM writes
I've just been upgraded to up to 8 Mbps

Or rather MaxADSL, which is rather different....

and I've been testing what speed I'm
getting on a few of the available speedtests but they all seem to
give wildly different results. I've heard that MaxDSL is a bit
variable anyway,

By design.

Does that mean that speedtests are a waste of time until the algorithm has
decided what the right connection speed is?

but are some speedtests better than others, and if so which are the
better ones?

I tend to think that these speedtests need taking with a bit of salt.-
at best they can give an idea of where you are at, but I've had a
difference of 2000 - 3000 Mb/s uisng the same speedtester in the space
of les than 30 minutes.

2000 - 3000 Mbps difference? Who are you, BT?

But I could certainly see that there was a 2 Mb (ish) cap on the line
for the first few days (as expected) and when that had gone.

I downloaded a 35 MB file just after I'd connected for the first time at up
to 8 Mbps and that averaged at about 3.5 Mbps.

Old May 24th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

Tony wrote:
"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote in message
I've just been upgraded to up to 8 Mbps and I've been testing what
speed I'm getting on a few of the available speedtests but they all
seem to give wildly different results. I've heard that MaxDSL is a
bit variable anyway, but are some speedtests better than others, and
if so which are the better ones?

Download a few large files from your ISP's ftp site and see the speed
and variation.

Okay.

I find NetMeter useful: http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

Thanks.

You can soon see
whether you are getting something reasonable but it is important to
test the speed of your link, not other parts of the net that your ISP
doesn't have control over.

True.

Old May 24th 06, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian & Hilda Dedic

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
I've just been upgraded to up to 8 Mbps and I've been testing what speed I'm
getting on a few of the available speedtests but they all seem to give
wildly different results. I've heard that MaxDSL is a bit variable anyway,
but are some speedtests better than others, and if so which are the better
ones?

By far the best one seems to be

http://www.auditmypc.com/internet-speed-test.asp

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0621-3, 24/05/2006
Tested on: 24/05/2006 23:09:59

Old May 24th 06, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Ian & Hilda Dedic" wrote in message
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
I've just been upgraded to up to 8 Mbps and I've been testing what speed
I'm getting on a few of the available speedtests but they all seem to
give wildly different results. I've heard that MaxDSL is a bit variable
anyway, but are some speedtests better than others, and if so which are
the better ones?

By far the best one seems to be

http://www.auditmypc.com/internet-speed-test.asp

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0621-3, 24/05/2006
Tested on: 24/05/2006 23:09:59

I tried that one, but the server kept being busy - I used this one instead:
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

cheers

Graham

Old May 25th 06, 02:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

If possible you should use speed test provided by your ISP to eliminate
delays in other parts of the Internet.
PlusNet has one, 5Mb/s :-)
Regards,
Martin

Old May 25th 06, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

Graham wrote:
"Ian & Hilda Dedic" wrote in message
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
I've just been upgraded to up to 8 Mbps and I've been testing what
speed I'm getting on a few of the available speedtests but they all
seem to give wildly different results. I've heard that MaxDSL is a
bit variable anyway, but are some speedtests better than others,
and if so which are the better ones?

By far the best one seems to be

http://www.auditmypc.com/internet-speed-test.asp

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0621-3, 24/05/2006
Tested on: 24/05/2006 23:09:59

I tried that one, but the server kept being busy - I used this one
instead: http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

Both of those tests actually seriously underestimated what I can get if I
download a large file from a relatively fast source. For example,
downloading iTunes, which is about 36 MB, it averages at about 3.2 Mbps, but
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ says I get 1.9 Mbps and the other one says
it's only just over 1 Mbps.