Data usage tool

Old May 24th 06, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Xeonwales

Default Data usage tool

Anyone know where i can get a broadband data usage tool to monitor the
amount of data sent // recived??

Old May 24th 06, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Christopher

"Xeonwales" wrote in message
ps.com...
Anyone know where i can get a broadband data usage tool to monitor the
amount of data sent // recived??

go to www.rokario.com and download their bandwidth monitor. It's free and
efficient and gives monthly totals. An alternative is Netmeter at
http://readerror.gmxhome.de/ which is also free but not as good, in my
opinion.

Old May 24th 06, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ryan

I just started using PRTG (http://www.paessler.com/prtg) which is free
for up to three sensors (a sensor is a reading from a device such as
bandwidth, and can include in and out).

I like it.

Old May 24th 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Ryan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just started using PRTG (http://www.paessler.com/prtg) which is free
for up to three sensors ...

I gave this a try and was interested to see that it shows background
incoming WAN traffic of around 10 kb/s even when no-one is using the
internet. Is this usual? The router log shows blocked access attempts but
these vary between a few per minute and about 20 per minute and don't seem
to be enough to cause this level of traffic. Background outgoing WAN
traffic is mostly too low to measure.

--
Tony W
My e-mail address has no hyphen

Old May 25th 06, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ryan

Could that be QoS stuff (Quality of Service traffic)? Are you
monitoring the router via SNMP or a local PC interface? The router
should be almost zero as you say, don't know about the local PC
interface. I would worry about where your traffic is coming from and
run packet sniffers if you can't track it down, you may have some sort
of nasty infection on your network or someone nicking your bandwidth.

By the way, not sure if your blocks will show up as traffic as they
should be bounced, but then again they came that far down the line so
they are effectively traffic on your DSL. Let me know what you find
out.

Ryan

Old May 25th 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Ryan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Could that be QoS stuff (Quality of Service traffic)?

You obviously know more than me about that (not difficult). Could it?

... Are you
monitoring the router via SNMP or a local PC interface?

SNMP

... The router
should be almost zero as you say, don't know about the local PC
interface. I would worry about where your traffic is coming from and
run packet sniffers if you can't track it down, ...

Could you recommend something for Win XP? Google brings up a number of
packet sniffers but I don't know what's any good.

... you may have some sort
of nasty infection on your network or someone nicking your bandwidth.

Infection seems unlikely as it is incoming traffic so I'm not sending spam
or DOS. Outgoing does drop to zero except when I expect it to do something.
I've disconnected the wireless AP - made no difference.

By the way, not sure if your blocks will show up as traffic as they
should be bounced, but then again they came that far down the line so
they are effectively traffic on your DSL. Let me know what you find

I've come to the conclusion that blocked attempts to connect are not enough
to account for it, as their traffic would drop to zero during some 10 second
periods but the activity I see never drops to zero.

Thanks for your interest.

Old May 26th 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doz

On Thu, 25 May 2006 14:08:39 GMT, Tony wrote:

"Ryan" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Do you run skype?
Old May 26th 06, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Doz" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 May 2006 14:08:39 GMT, Tony wrote:

Do you run skype?

No, nor any file sharing etc.

But from asking in a Blueyonder NG, I have come to the conclusion that the
incoming traffic shown when I'm not using the internet is probably
legitimate network traffic, ARP or other housekeeping. If my connection
were data capped, which it isn't, I think that wouldn't count towards my
limit as it is not really anything to do with me. At about 10 kb/s on
average, it is about 0.25% of the channel bandwidth so I have decided to
ignore it. Some people seem to have a lot more.

Thanks for your interest.

Old May 27th 06, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ryan

I've used ethereal for sniffing in the past, shows some very good stuff
and easy to install.