Incoming VOIP Numbers

Old May 24th 06, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John F Kappler

Default Incoming VOIP Numbers

My VOIP provider offers both an 0870 number and a geographic number
for incoming calls.

I'm not sure what this means in terms of call charges for my callers
(customers!), and I know some people get quite wary of 0870 numbers.

Can anyone tell me whether my callers will be charged a premium rate
of either?

Thnx,

JohnK
Old May 24th 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"John F Kappler" wrote in message

My VOIP provider offers both an 0870 number and a
geographic number for incoming calls.

I'm not sure what this means in terms of call charges for
my callers (customers!), and I know some people get quite
wary of 0870 numbers.

Can anyone tell me whether my callers will be charged a
premium rate of either?

If you have the choice, go for a geographic number, always. 0870 numbers
are charged more and also are not included in many mobile packages.

It depends on what network (BT, cable etc.) what the charges are.

Ivor

Old May 24th 06, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Colin Forrester

C. Señor wrote:

The geographical number will be charged at geographical rates.

The 0870 number will be charged at "national" rate, which is around 8ppm
at peak times.

That is about the best rate on average. Calls from a mobile will
generally be 2-3 times this rate. OP should do his contacts a favour and
opt for the geographical number.
Old May 24th 06, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Wed, 24 May 2006, Ivor Jones writes

"John F Kappler" wrote in message

My VOIP provider offers both an 0870 number and a
geographic number for incoming calls.

I'm not sure what this means in terms of call charges for
my callers (customers!), and I know some people get quite
wary of 0870 numbers.

Can anyone tell me whether my callers will be charged a
premium rate of either?

If you have the choice, go for a geographic number, always. 0870 numbers
are charged more and also are not included in many mobile packages.

How can you say that?

You don't know that for sure.

You ought to have 'may not be' instead of 'are not'

David
Old May 24th 06, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"David Floyd" wrote in message

In message of Wed, 24 May 2006, Ivor Jones writes

[snip]

If you have the choice, go for a geographic number,
always. 0870 numbers are charged more and also are not
included in many mobile packages.

How can you say that?

You don't know that for sure.

You ought to have 'may not be' instead of 'are not'

I did say not included in *many* mobile packages, I did not say all.

Ivor

Old May 24th 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

John F Kappler wrote:

Can anyone tell me whether my callers will be charged a premium rate
of either?

Calling 0870's is a rip off. They were `national rate` many years ago,
but since then the cost of calls has drastically reduced but 0870's are
still expensive.

Tim
Old May 24th 06, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:17:40 +0100, David Floyd
wrote:

If you have the choice, go for a geographic number, always. 0870 numbers
are charged more and also are not included in many mobile packages.

How can you say that?

Fairly easily

You don't know that for sure.

I can't say if he does, but I certainly do know that.

You ought to have 'may not be' instead of 'are not'

No, what he said was completely correct: 0870 numbers are charged more
and not inclusive in many mobile packages. In fact there are few where
this does not apply.

Choosing an 0870 number when there is a geographical alternative is
downright daft.
Old May 24th 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

wrote:

If you have the choice, go for a geographic number, always. 0870
numbers
are charged more and also are not included in many mobile packages.

How can you say that?

Fairly easily

You don't know that for sure.

I can't say if he does, but I certainly do know that.

You ought to have 'may not be' instead of 'are not'

No, what he said was completely correct: 0870 numbers are charged more
and not inclusive in many mobile packages. In fact there are few where
this does not apply.

Choosing an 0870 number when there is a geographical alternative is
downright daft.

When I see people seemingly posting in defence of 0870 numbers, it makes
me wonder if they are the people making money from them.