BT/RJ11 adapter with ring circuit

Old May 25th 06, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

Default BT/RJ11 adapter with ring circuit

I see the above is needed with a PAP2 for an standard BT phone to be used. What
exactly does than mean? How can I tell? I have some that came with an old fax
switch, took one apart and it seems to have three wires connected.

TIA

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Old May 25th 06, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Dave Saville" wrote in message
. uk
I see the above is needed with a PAP2 for an standard BT
phone to be used. What exactly does than mean? How can I
tell? I have some that came with an old fax switch, took
one apart and it seems to have three wires connected.

TIA

The correct type of adaptor will have a ringing capacitor in it, this is
necessary to supply ringing to the ring wire of a UK spec. phone, although
it should be noted that not all phones (DECT cordless in particular)
require the ring wire any more, some will ring with just the 2 wires
connected. However it's a case of suck it and see, there doesn't seem to
be any hard and fast rule; I bought 2 BT badged phones not long ago, one
requires the ring wire and one doesn't..!

Any ATA worth buying will come with the correct adaptor anyway.

Ivor

Old May 25th 06, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

PhilT wrote:
Ivor Jones wrote:

Any ATA worth buying will come with the correct adaptor anyway.

its at the whim of the retailer. Linkysys PAP2-NA's for example do not
have adaptors in their box.

Though strangely their Vonage counterparts usually come with 1.
Old May 25th 06, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

Ivor Jones wrote:

Any ATA worth buying will come with the correct adaptor anyway.

its at the whim of the retailer. Linkysys PAP2-NA's for example do not
have adaptors in their box.

Phil

Old May 25th 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in
message
PhilT wrote:
Ivor Jones wrote:

Any ATA worth buying will come with the correct
adaptor anyway.

its at the whim of the retailer. Linkysys PAP2-NA's for
example do not have adaptors in their box.

Though strangely their Vonage counterparts usually come
with 1.

My Fritz!Box came with 2, the Sipura 1001 had one. The Sipura 2000 didn't
but only because I bought it direct from the US.

Ivor

Old May 25th 06, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in
message
PhilT wrote:
Ivor Jones wrote:

Any ATA worth buying will come with the correct
adaptor anyway.
its at the whim of the retailer. Linkysys PAP2-NA's for
example do not have adaptors in their box.

Though strangely their Vonage counterparts usually come
with 1.

My Fritz!Box came with 2, the Sipura 1001 had one. The Sipura 2000 didn't
but only because I bought it direct from the US.

Ivor

My Cisco 468 didn't (afaict didn't need one), the PAP2-NA's didn't, the
Vonage ones came with 1, the Zoom X5v's came with one (only 1 port on
them, so no hardship), the AG-468's didn't come with any (but then I did
import them from China).

Not really much fuss, I think I only paid a pound for them last time I
bought one anyway.

Old May 26th 06, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

On Fri, 26 May 2006 15:31:41 +0200, tony p wrote:

Adapters available from Maplin UK.

Thanks Tony

What I really wanted to know was how to tell if the one just found at the back
of a drawer had a ring circuit/capacitor. As someone else replied I guess it is
"suck it and see".

--

Regards

Dave Saville