[email protected] DISA question

Old May 25th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
paul123

Default [email protected] DISA question

Having unsuccesfully searched the AAH forums I thought I'd ask here as
there are a few regular asteriskers.

I've setup a DISA on AAH 2.8 using FreePBX so that I can phone into my
*box from my mobile and get a dialling tone and can then dial out using
a selection of voip providers. All works fine. Except.... I'd like,
after making a call over a voip trunk, to be able to stay connected to
* and then make another call, without finishing the call from the
mobile into my asterisk box.

[My objective here is to make the most of my mobile package, which
gives me up to an hour for any call for the price of a one minute call,
so that when I'm out or away from home, I could make a number of calls
form my mobile and still only get billed for one.]

So after much preamble my questions... anyone know if it can be done in
FreePBX? If so how? Or is it a question of delving into config edit? Or
is there a key combination I can tap in on the mobile to end the call
out from asterisk but keep me connected on my mobile call into
asterisk?

TIA

Old May 26th 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

paul123 wrote:

So after much preamble my questions... anyone know if it can be done in
FreePBX? If so how? Or is it a question of delving into config edit? Or
is there a key combination I can tap in on the mobile to end the call
out from asterisk but keep me connected on my mobile call into
asterisk?

If it can be done on any phone system, then it can be done on Asterisk.
However...I've set up three Asterisk systems; the first I did with vanilla
Debian packages, the next two with [email protected] I've come to find that it's a lot
easier to do 'it' [for various values of 'it'] with a config you've
developed yourself from the ground up, than with [email protected] I'm not knocking [email protected]
by any means [I used it to convince $boss to replace a Mitel 3300 with
Asterisk. At last, I can begin to grow my little empire within the
company], but you'll come to realise that there's only so much you can
represent in a web interface. The web interface makes tedious, simple,
repetitive stuff like adding extensions a breeze, but anything much more
complex and cool, and you'll find it impossible without a bit more
knowledge of the .conf files. Building a small system from the stock config
files from $distro would teach you a lot about how [email protected] works.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
17:56:54 up 6 days, 11:54, 0 users, load average: 0.02, 0.12, 0.10

Old June 2nd 06, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
paul123

alexd wrote:
paul123 wrote:

[...]

Hi Alex,
Thanks for your comments. Yeah, I'm sure that any self-developed config
is going to work assuming you have the knowhow. The great thing about
AAH is that it has opened up the delights of Asterisk to a whole load
more people who would otherwise be phased (me included) at the prospect
of going the "raw" asterisk route. I'd say the web interface is a
godsend for the novice at Asterisk as it makes getting a basic (not so
basic either) system up and running in a reasonably short time span,
though it does have limitations when you want do anything a bit fancy
(local weather forecasts for example).
My working home-cum-office installation has mostly been built by simple
copy'n'paste from places like nerdvittles, the wiki and forums (fora
isn't it?) with a touch of adapting here and there. That said, lots has
been learnt out of necessity with those little tweaks in config edit
and the .conf files.
Yes, I'd like to build a system from scratch - I'm sure it'd be very
satisfying! Bit like climbing Everest. One day.... maybe!