talktalk moden with another ISP?

Old May 25th 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pammyT

Default talktalk moden with another ISP?

I have signed up with Nildram who promise a hassle free transition from
your old ISP with no downtime.Huh! So far it's been a comedy of errors
with no contact from them due to 2 sales girls taking a wrongly spelled
email addy and sending me useless info when eventually I phoned them to
see why I hadn't heard from them. I have had to use my emergency dialup
modem.
I have had no instructions from Nildram at all as to how I actually
access their broadband so thought I would ask here while I wait for a
reply from them on the subject. I was with talk talk before and have
the usb modem supplied by them. They haven't asked for it back. Can I
use it with my new ISP? If so, how do I get rid of all the talk talk
stuff which ends up being installed with the modem driver?

Old May 26th 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stu C

"pammyt" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have signed up with Nildram who promise a hassle free transition from
your old ISP with no downtime.Huh! So far it's been a comedy of errors
with no contact from them due to 2 sales girls taking a wrongly spelled
email addy and sending me useless info when eventually I phoned them to
see why I hadn't heard from them. I have had to use my emergency dialup
modem.
I have had no instructions from Nildram at all as to how I actually
access their broadband so thought I would ask here while I wait for a
reply from them on the subject. I was with talk talk before and have
the usb modem supplied by them. They haven't asked for it back. Can I
use it with my new ISP? If so, how do I get rid of all the talk talk
stuff which ends up being installed with the modem driver?

what make\model of modem have you got,,, most have some form of config
screen... surely your nildram signup should have given some settings info
which you can then put into your modem settings...

Old May 26th 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pammyT

huh, flipping nildram sent me nothing. I had to call my son for help
and eventually got connected. Now I'm having problems with the
connection being dropped every few minutes and a call to the nildram
support people got a bloke telling me "you are a new customer on up to
8 mg connection speeds. For the first 10 days of connection there is a
learning period where your conenction will get dropped a lot while our
computers learn about your speeds and what you need". I've never heard
anything like it. Then he suggested it was because I use a telephone
extention cable and said I should carry my PC downstairs to connect
right next to the phone socket. Is he mad?!?!?!
I was with talk talk before and they managed the first 10 days without
dropping conenctions all over the place and managed fine with the
extention cable. Needless to say that while 'their computer is learning
about my surfing habits and speeds and dropping conenctions' I am
paying for the service (if you can call it that).
You have no idea how bitterly I regret migrating to Nildram.

Old May 26th 06, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 26 May 2006 21:43:24 UTC, "pammyt"
wrote:

huh, flipping nildram sent me nothing. I had to call my son for help
and eventually got connected. Now I'm having problems with the
connection being dropped every few minutes and a call to the nildram
support people got a bloke telling me "you are a new customer on up to
8 mg connection speeds. For the first 10 days of connection there is a
learning period where your conenction will get dropped a lot while our
computers learn about your speeds and what you need". I've never heard
anything like it.

That's because it's new. It's actually BT's equipment that's learning,
and it's under BT's control. You didn't see this before from Talk Talk
because this is the new ADSL Max service that everyone is now being
given by BT. What he said was eseentially true.

Then he suggested it was because I use a telephone
extention cable and said I should carry my PC downstairs to connect
right next to the phone socket. Is he mad?!?!?!

It's the right advice. You're going to get a faster connection out of
this, but the limits are pushed and any weakness will show up. Typically
that weakness is in the house internal wiring, and the only way to
eliminate that is to do as he said.

I was with talk talk before and they managed the first 10 days without
dropping conenctions all over the place and managed fine with the
extention cable.

Because that was the 'old' BT product. Not nearly so demanding (or
ultimately as fast).

Needless to say that while 'their computer is learning
about my surfing habits and speeds and dropping conenctions' I am
paying for the service (if you can call it that).
You have no idea how bitterly I regret migrating to Nildram.

It would have been the same for any ISP. They might have explained it
better, mind.

euthanasia recommended. ]