Better Antenna where?

Old May 26th 06, 08:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim..

Default Better Antenna where?

I have a linksys 54g wireless modem router and 4 PC's wirelessly netoworked
and 2 which are wired, via it.

Currently the router sits in the kitchen next to the master phone socket,
and looks lovely on the worktop (not)!

I am in the process of converting a small area of my understairs coat room
to house a small data /telecoms rackmount cabinet with the intention of
moving the router to this location and all of its associated wiring.

I have road tested the router in this position for wireless signal, and the
signal reported by the PC's drops to 'low, patchy and poor' at the best of
times.

The higher gain antenna's that are sold most people apparently strap to
their PCI cards to effect a better signal.

Does it work the other way around? Can I use (say) a 6-8db antenna strapped
to the Router to improve the signal to all the wireless PC's?

TIA

Tim..

Old May 26th 06, 08:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mal

"Tim.." wrote in message
[...]

I take it you're new to the group! Have a search through previous posts and
you will see you can boost the signal with nothing more than some wire mesh
or card and tinfoil. Mount it 1.25inces from the aerial and bend it around
to form a curve so it acts as a reflector.
Try google.

Old May 26th 06, 09:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim..

"Mal" wrote in message

"Tim.." wrote in message
[...]

Am not new to the group at all, and have read the wire-mesh DIY type antenna
improvement methods.

I am after a more professional solution, and as the Router will be inside a
steel data cab, I need to have a fly lead so I can mount the aerial
externally ontop of the cab...(similar to a CB aerial ontop of a car roof,
but smaller scale)

Tim..

Old May 26th 06, 10:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Tim.. says...

"Mal" wrote in message

"Tim.." wrote in message
[...]

So let me get this right....

You want to put a RF transmitter in or near a steel cage which is going
to be great at blocking the signal if it's inside, or reflecting it
anywhere except where you want if it's outside in a location that
itself is actually quite good at blocking signals and you expect it'll
work?

walks off shaking head

--
Conor,
Grumpy Old Man.
Old May 27th 06, 01:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim \(remove obvious\)

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Tim.. says...

"Mal" wrote in message

"Tim.." wrote in message
[...]

Ok, so suggest a better solution...

Tim..

Old May 27th 06, 01:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Tim.." wrote in message
[snip]
The higher gain antenna's that are sold most people apparently strap to
their PCI cards to effect a better signal.

Does it work the other way around? Can I use (say) a 6-8db antenna
strapped
to the Router to improve the signal to all the wireless PC's?

Higher gain antennas concentrate the transmitted power more in some
directions at the expense of others; similarly, they are more sensitive to
signals from some directions and less from others. Have a look at the
antenna power patterns and you will see what I mean.

Alex

Old May 27th 06, 04:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fixer

Could you not just add a WAP into the equation????
"Tim (remove obvious)" wrote in
message ...

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Tim.. says...

Old June 1st 06, 08:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Teeth

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when "Tim \(remove
obvious\)" opened his gob and
said:

Ok, so suggest a better solution...

You will probably get away with an antenna outside the cabinet, but
you should also use a high gain antenna on the receiver too. May work,
may not...there's only one way to find out I'm afraid.

Thought of cable? Not being funny, but personally, for me, wireless
would have to be a very last resort.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old June 1st 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

said:

Ok, so suggest a better solution...

You will probably get away with an antenna outside the cabinet,

From what you go on to say, I take it you mean a high gain antenna. As in my
earlier post, this is not an option if you need all-round coverage.

but you should also use a high gain antenna on the receiver too.

Assuming you mean "wireless client" rather than "receiver", this is not
practical if the client moves (eg a laptop). However, it is ideal if the
client is fixed.

I am not sure if you think otherwise, but considering a single pair of
transceivers, it makes no difference where you add aerial gain (at least in
theory).

Thought of cable? Not being funny, but personally, for me, wireless
would have to be a very last resort.

It is nice for anything portable, but otherwise I totally agree. The way the
OP described things, I got the impression he had a mixed network already.

Alex

Old June 2nd 06, 12:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Teeth

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when "Alex Fraser"
opened his gob and said:

I am not sure if you think otherwise, but considering a single pair of
transceivers, it makes no difference where you add aerial gain (at least in
theory).

It maybe easier to add half the total gain to each point rather than
have it all on one; depending on the frequency being used (speaking
generally).

Gain on the RX has the additional advantage of reduced susceptibility
to interference away from the main lobe.

I would go for the maximum possible gain on both antennas, especially
considering the OP's situation.

--
Cheers,

Guy