Attenuation

Old May 27th 06, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

Default Attenuation

got one of the speedtouch 330 modems. no snr information, but there is
the attenuation:

ReceiveAttenuation_dB= 24
ReceiveMargin_dB= 6
SendAttenuation_dB= 10
SendMargin_dB= 25

Don't know if that's good or bad???

I take it it wouldn't be possible to calculate the SNR?

Bored now. :-) anyone want a speedtouch 330?

Cheers
Simon
Old May 27th 06, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Simon Dean wrote:
got one of the speedtouch 330 modems. no snr information, but there is
the attenuation:

ReceiveAttenuation_dB= 24
ReceiveMargin_dB= 6
SendAttenuation_dB= 10
SendMargin_dB= 25

Don't know if that's good or bad???

I take it it wouldn't be possible to calculate the SNR?

Try here.

http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

Peter Crosland

Old May 27th 06, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

Peter Crosland wrote:
Simon Dean wrote:

ReceiveAttenuation_dB= 24
ReceiveMargin_dB= 6
SendAttenuation_dB= 10
SendMargin_dB= 25

Don't know if that's good or bad???

I take it it wouldn't be possible to calculate the SNR?

Try here.

http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

Peter Crosland

It requires the SNR. I don't have the SNR.

Thanks
Simon
Old May 27th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Simon Dean wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote:
Simon Dean wrote:

ReceiveAttenuation_dB= 24
ReceiveMargin_dB= 6
SendAttenuation_dB= 10
SendMargin_dB= 25

Don't know if that's good or bad???

I take it it wouldn't be possible to calculate the SNR?

Try here.

http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

Peter Crosland

It requires the SNR. I don't have the SNR.

You do! Signal To Noise Ratio AKA as margin.

Peter Crosland

Old May 27th 06, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Simon Dean
writes
Peter Crosland wrote:
Simon Dean wrote:

ReceiveAttenuation_dB= 24
ReceiveMargin_dB= 6
SendAttenuation_dB= 10
SendMargin_dB= 25

Don't know if that's good or bad???

I take it it wouldn't be possible to calculate the SNR?

Try here.
http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm
Peter Crosland

It requires the SNR. I don't have the SNR.

Thanks
Simon

Yes you do, its the receive margin in the above stats 6dB
--
Peter R Cook
Old May 27th 06, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

ReceiveMargin_dB= 6 --------- SNR margin downstream
SendAttenuation_dB= 10
SendMargin_dB= 25

Don't know if that's good or bad???

nor does anybody else without knowing the speed :-)

it ought to be 8128 at that attenuation.

Phil

Old May 27th 06, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

PhilT wrote:
Simon Dean wrote:

got one of the speedtouch 330 modems. no snr information, but there is
the attenuation:

ReceiveAttenuation_dB= 24
ReceiveMargin_dB= 6 --------- SNR margin downstream
SendAttenuation_dB= 10
SendMargin_dB= 25

Don't know if that's good or bad???

nor does anybody else without knowing the speed :-)

it ought to be 8128 at that attenuation.

You learn something everyday. Thanks for everyones help on the SNR.

Yes, you're right. My line speed is 8128 kbps.

So, are these good figures? I've never known whatthey were before...

Cheers
Simon
Old May 27th 06, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Simon Dean wrote:

You learn something everyday. Thanks for everyones help on the SNR.
Yes, you're right. My line speed is 8128 kbps.

So, are these good figures? I've never known whatthey were before...

you won't go any faster because you're at the top speed for BT's MaxDSL
and you only have 6 dB of margin. You may find it gets a bit unstable
at times if the SNR drops away.

You might be able to improve the SNR a bit - see if you get the same
result in the test socket behind the master faceplate.

Phil

Old May 27th 06, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

Error correction rates should be a good measure of performance.

It is about time such statistical measurements were made available.
It is related to signal-to-noise ratio and reliability of transmission
and reception..

Old May 27th 06, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Reg Edwards wrote:
Error correction rates should be a good measure of performance.

It is about time such statistical measurements were made available.
It is related to signal-to-noise ratio and reliability of transmission
and reception..

several modems will run BER tests, and most clock up stats on errors
and corrected errors.

Phil