Plusnet LLU screwed up - exit strategy suggestions ??

Old May 28th 06, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Brentnall

Default Plusnet LLU screwed up - exit strategy suggestions ??

HI All
Last Monday dear old Plusnet upgraded my perfectly satisfactory
Broadband connection, without asking me !

It hasn't worked since.
On Monday the router was showing that ADSL was connected - now it
can't even train.

And - to make it more exciting, we're going to be moving to Ireland
withing the next month or two.....

Currently using 56k dial-up (even Plusnet don't seem to be able to get
_that_ wrong - famous last words !)

So - suggestions please for somewhere I can get a Broadband connection
(speed pretty much irrelevant so long as it connects!) for just a
couple of months...

Have already emailed BT - I know that they provide BB where we're
going - so hope that they might be able to 'transfer' the account to
there once we move - as otherwise they have a 12-month minimum deal.

Thanks in advance

Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Old May 28th 06, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

If the account has been LLU'd (presumably split line, i.e. your phone
calls aren't with PL), you'll need to get a cease & re-provide done to
switch away from them... unless BT's set up LLU migrations since I last
checked (very unlikely).

I'd suggest cancelling with PlusNet, then getting a Zen connection at
your current house (monthly contract. There's a set-up fee, BUT they
won't charge you to get it transferred over to another house - most
companies with free connections will charge you the full connection fee
at the new house, including BT, IIRC). If you're not keen on them after
you've moved to the new house, then you can migrate away to another
company for free .

Details on their website:
http://www.zenbroadband.com/zenbroadband.aspx?page=494

You'll probably have 2-3 weeks of downtime for the switch from PlusNET
to Zen, but that'll be the same for migration to anyone (including BT).

xF,

....Nick
Old May 28th 06, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Have already emailed BT - I know that they provide BB where we're
going - so hope that they might be able to 'transfer' the account to
there once we move - as otherwise they have a 12-month minimum deal.

Forgot to say: BT can transfer your account over, if you decide to go
with them. Details he http://tinyurl.com/bcj86

Doesn't say whether they charge you, though.

xF,

....Nick
Old May 28th 06, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Brentnall

HI Nick

On Sun, 28 May 2006 17:23:15 +0100, Nicholas Thomas
wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Have already emailed BT - I know that they provide BB where we're
going - so hope that they might be able to 'transfer' the account to
there once we move - as otherwise they have a 12-month minimum deal.

Forgot to say: BT can transfer your account over, if you decide to go
with them. Details he http://tinyurl.com/bcj86

Doesn't say whether they charge you, though.

xF,

...Nick

Thanks for both the emails

After spending a few hours 'fiddling' with this setup the plusnet adsl
suddenly came back to life.....

.....can't believe it's anything that plusnet have done as my
'question' with them still shows "Please check this Question in about
two hours to see the results of the tests." - same as it did at 9pm
last night !

So - it's probably someting to do with defaulting the router back to
its factory settings. If I was feeling really brave I'd flash the rom
- but at the moment it's working so I'll leave it alone g

Really don't need a solution that results in downtime - especially as
we hope to be moved (abroad) in 5 or 6 weeks...
...just wondered if BT had any ability to migrate a UK user to an
Irish user - but I guess that's asking a lot !

Thanks anyway
Adrian