8Mbit/s and the ST330?

Old May 29th 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Hemmings

Default 8Mbit/s and the ST330?

Speedtouch website has high speed drivers to take the 330 to 8meg... but
what about the USB connection. Will it be a bottleneck at these speeds?

Am thinking that perhaps a network card and better modem may be in order...

Has anyone tried the 330 at 8meg?

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.xenu.net/

http://www.venganza.org/index.htm

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old May 29th 06, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gort

On Mon, 29 May 2006 10:51:46 +0100, Les Hemmings wrote:

Speedtouch website has high speed drivers to take the 330 to 8meg... but
what about the USB connection. Will it be a bottleneck at these speeds?

Am thinking that perhaps a network card and better modem may be in order...

Has anyone tried the 330 at 8meg?

Les

Get an ADSL router, full stop.

Dave

Old May 29th 06, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stu C

"Les Hemmings" wrote in message
Speedtouch website has high speed drivers to take the 330 to 8meg... but
what about the USB connection. Will it be a bottleneck at these speeds?

Am thinking that perhaps a network card and better modem may be in
order...

Has anyone tried the 330 at 8meg?

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.xenu.net/

http://www.venganza.org/index.htm

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

usb 2.0 is 480mb/s (not sure if big m or little m!), but usb wont be the
issue..

usb 1 is certainly over 10 anyway...

if i remember correctly from setting up my ipod....

Old May 29th 06, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Hemmings

gort wrote:
On Mon, 29 May 2006 10:51:46 +0100, Les Hemmings wrote:

Speedtouch website has high speed drivers to take the 330 to
8meg... but what about the USB connection. Will it be a bottleneck
at these speeds?

Am thinking that perhaps a network card and better modem may be in
order...

Has anyone tried the 330 at 8meg?

Les

Get an ADSL router, full stop.

Dave

Hmmm.. i'd need a network card installed too, i have a couple somewhere....
No ethernet on this motherboard. I've heard real horror stories about
configuring the firewalls in these things (using zonealarm freebie at the
mo) Could you reccomend a bog standard high speed adsl router that maybe
would support a couple of pc's if my partner gets one but is reasonably
simple to set up?

Would this router act as network between pc's as well as supplying internet
or would i need a seperate network card / connection for that?

Not a total newbie (i built this machine) but routers and home networking is
a new area for me.

Cheers!

Les

Old May 29th 06, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doz

On Mon, 29 May 2006 10:51:46 +0100, Les Hemmings wrote:

Speedtouch website has high speed drivers to take the 330 to 8meg... but
what about the USB connection. Will it be a bottleneck at these speeds?

Am thinking that perhaps a network card and better modem may be in order...

Has anyone tried the 330 at 8meg?

Les

A USB 2.0 connection can easily cope with 8Mbit.. it's only a bottle neck
when you have a USB 1.1 type port or modem. If you plug your modem in and
Windows XP whinges about going faster if you use a USB 2 port then you have
just plugged a USB 2 device into a USB 1.1 port.

Check your device manager... right click my computer - manage.. device
manager... find the USB ports at the bottom - in the devies listing you
should have "enhanced" devices.. this nearly always indicates USB 2.0

"Standard" devices are USB 1.1
Old May 29th 06, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andy

Les Hemmings wrote:

Hmmm.. i'd need a network card installed too, i have a couple somewhere....
No ethernet on this motherboard. I've heard real horror stories about
configuring the firewalls in these things (using zonealarm freebie at the
mo) Could you reccomend a bog standard high speed adsl router that maybe
would support a couple of pc's if my partner gets one but is reasonably
simple to set up?

Would this router act as network between pc's as well as supplying internet
or would i need a seperate network card / connection for that?

Not a total newbie (i built this machine) but routers and home networking is
a new area for me.

Cheers!

Les

netgear dg834(g)

easy to set up, with routers you don't need to worry quite so much about
a firewall as you do with a computer connected with and adsl modem, but
the firewall is pretty decent anyway
Old May 29th 06, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

gort wrote:
[...]

Don't worry about that network cards are dirt cheap.

I bought my current one brand new for 3 and if you have XP it's just a case
of plugging it in and it works.

The log in details are stored in the router and this will require
configuration but in most cases this is dead easy (especially for a chap
with your expertise).

If you do decide to buy a router bear in mind that ADSL2+ isn't too far off
so you might like to buy one that is already compatible or at the very least
flash upgradable to ADSL2+.

If you go for wireless make sure it supports WPA encryption as WEP is very
easily hacked.

As far as Zonealarm goes you'll still need a software firewall as the
hardware firewall only blocks unrequested traffic.

The reason for this is if a trojan or other malware manages to infect your
system it will request access and the hardware firewall will treat this in
the same fashion as any other installed software.

I use the free version of Zonealarm as well, in conjunction with my router.

Stephen

Old May 29th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GuessWho

"Doz" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 May 2006 10:51:46 +0100, Les Hemmings wrote:

Speedtouch website has high speed drivers to take the 330 to 8meg...
but
what about the USB connection. Will it be a bottleneck at these speeds?

Am thinking that perhaps a network card and better modem may be in
order...

Has anyone tried the 330 at 8meg?

Les

I use the 330 with ADSL MAX.

Having downloaded the 8meg driver I`ve had no problems apart from what
appears to be contention in the evenings.

Old May 29th 06, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eros

"Les Hemmings" wrote in message
Speedtouch website has high speed drivers to take the 330 to 8meg... but
what about the USB connection. Will it be a bottleneck at these speeds?

Am thinking that perhaps a network card and better modem may be in
order...

Has anyone tried the 330 at 8meg?

Yes, I connect at 7.3/6 with out any problems at all... You can download the
latest drivers from the website.

Old May 29th 06, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Hemmings

Eros wrote:
"Les Hemmings" wrote in message
Speedtouch website has high speed drivers to take the 330 to 8meg...
but what about the USB connection. Will it be a bottleneck at these
speeds? Am thinking that perhaps a network card and better modem may be
in
order...

Has anyone tried the 330 at 8meg?

Yes, I connect at 7.3/6 with out any problems at all... You can
download the latest drivers from the website.

Have done this in anticipation already.... will try as is, if it all goes
tits up i will upgrade. Hands full with nvidia drivers at the mo. I can get
the latest drivers for my Albatron Ti4200P and the graphics are splendid!
But the TV out stuffs up. Go back a few years with earlier drivers and the
graphics are pants but the tv out works...

Aaaargh!