2Mb to 512Kb With TalkTalk

Old May 29th 06, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Xeonwales

Default 2Mb to 512Kb With TalkTalk

For the last 6 months, i was with Plus.net, using a 2Mb connection. For
15 months before that, i was on AOL 2Mb service.

I have now joined TalkTalk's Free* Broadband, and my connection had
dropped to 512Kb!!!

When i 1st went live, my connection rose to 6.2Mb at one stage, before
dropping to 512Kb. I have spoken to TalkTalk, and they claim my line
can only support 512Kb!!!

If so, how did AOL & Plus.Net give me 2Mb???

Does anyone have the answer to this??? I have a 2nd line manager
ringing me back from TalkTalk on wednesday (2/6/06).

Old May 29th 06, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Xeonwales wrote:

When i 1st went live, my connection rose to 6.2Mb at one stage, before
dropping to 512Kb. I have spoken to TalkTalk, and they claim my line
can only support 512Kb!!!

what does www.bt.com/broadband say for the number in question.

What is the current sync speed, attenuation and SNR/noise margin in
both directions.

Phil

Old May 29th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Xeonwales

For Telephone Number *********** on Exchange **********

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line
indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband
service that provides a line rate up to 1Mbps. However due to the
length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who
will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

But i had 2 Mb connection before....

Old May 29th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Xeonwales

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
26-05-2006 17:28:26 478.4
08-04-2006 13:59:31 1886.7
06-01-2006 20:32:37 1799.6
29-12-2005 14:51:06 1199.3
15-12-2005 11:09:14 955.8
15-11-2005 20:32:41 1388.5

Last 5 are plus net, top one is TalkTalk

Old May 29th 06, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Xeonwales wrote:
Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
26-05-2006 17:28:26 478.4

these are speedtests. Go back and read the question again :-)

Phil

Old May 29th 06, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Xeonwales wrote:

But i had 2 Mb connection before...

yeah, **** happens. You may be borderline or it may be an error. The
attenuation would tell us. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

I assume the Talk Talk circuit is supposed to be an "up to 8M" one ?

Phil

Old May 29th 06, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Xeonwales

what does www.bt.com/broadband say for the number in question.

What is the current sync speed, attenuation and SNR/noise margin in
both directions.

How do i find that out??

Old May 29th 06, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Xeonwales

Acording to my wireless router, im getting

Data Rate
Downstream/Upstream 2272Kb/288Kb

Old May 29th 06, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Xeonwales

Im not using the modem that came with talktalk, i have a wireless
router, can i still use that tool??

Old May 29th 06, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Xeonwales wrote:
Acording to my wireless router, im getting

Data Rate
Downstream/Upstream 2272Kb/288Kb

so you have a 2M fixed speed service. What was the question ?

Phil