Which ADSL isp?

Old May 29th 06, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BarmyOne

Default Which ADSL isp?

Hi,

I have been asked to research a broadband installation for my father. He
predicts that he will be a 'light user' if his present dialup usage is
anything to go by. Using his connection for such things as email with
files around the 1 - 2mb mark being both uploaded and downloaded. As
well as the usual internet banking etc.

The one factor that may cause concern is that he is totally new to using
his computer for anything other than light email. But his requirements
to transfer larger files is driving his need. But he will require some
hand-holding so whichever isp he ends up going with will have to offer
good support and be inexpensive for support calls.

The only other requirement is that he wants to only receive ONE bill
each month for calls and the internet.

Can anyone offer any sugestions on which isp's to look at?

Thanks.
Old May 29th 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John DH

"BarmyOne" wrote in message
[...]

Any budget?

Is it essential that he has one bill each month? because this shuts the door
on a number of quality providers.

Other wise: Zen, Idnet, Nildram.

Those three have good uk based tech support

Old May 29th 06, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Eborn

1. Have you checked out www.adslguide.org?
2. Avoid plusnet/force9.

Old May 29th 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John DH

2. Avoid plusnet/force9.

...and BT , tiscali.

Old May 29th 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Lee

"Chris Eborn" wrote in message
oups.com...

1. Have you checked out www.adslguide.org?
2. Avoid plusnet/force9.

And Metronet as they are part of the same business.

Joe Lee

Old May 29th 06, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tx2

John DH wrote:

Is it essential that he has one bill each month? because this shuts the door
on a number of quality providers.

Other wise: Zen, Idnet, Nildram.

Glad Nildram was on your list; after more than 5 years as a customer, i
have finally plucked up the 'courage' to jump from the sinking Plusnet
ship, and have signed up to Nildrams 2mb offering.

Old May 30th 06, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BarmyOne

John DH wrote:
"BarmyOne" wrote in message

[...]

Just the usual. Cheap as possible

Is it essential that he has one bill each month? because this shuts the door
on a number of quality providers.

It's preferable, as in his words; 'I don't like the idea that I may
forget to pay one of the bills, I've had BT for the last 60 odd years
and it's an easy bill to remember'.

Presently, he is looking into changing the way he pays for his calls.
ISTR Onetel being able to provide ADSL? Are they any good?

Other wise: Zen, Idnet, Nildram.

Those three have good uk based tech support

That sounds good, I shall start looking into them a little later.

Thank you for your assistance.
Old May 30th 06, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BarmyOne

Chris Eborn wrote:
1. Have you checked out www.adslguide.org?

I have had a brief look. But it's still as confusing a site as I remember

2. Avoid plusnet/force9.

Noted.

Thank you.
Old May 30th 06, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Lyons

Can anyone offer any sugestions on which isp's to look at?

discountadsl.co.uk doing 9.99 + vat per month for an entry level service.

--
Regards

John Lyons
T: 0845 6444194
F: 01745 582374
w: www.netserve.co.uk

Old May 30th 06, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

BarmyOne wrote:

Presently, he is looking into changing the way he pays for his calls.
ISTR Onetel being able to provide ADSL? Are they any good?

I think they were bought up by TalkTalk, so beware!