Sharing a folder and subfolders easily?

Old May 29th 06, 06:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Olive

Default Sharing a folder and subfolders easily?

Hi all.

I hope this isn't OT - most stuff here seems hardware related, but here
goes.

Is there a way to share a folder/drive on a network, and any sub-folders
within it, without individually enabling each one?

I've got a drive on one machine that I'd like browsable on my home network,
and I'm sure there must be a way to share it all?

You'd think that a quick Google would do this, but I couldn't find an
answer.

Cheers

Old May 29th 06, 07:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Steve Olive" wrote in message
[snip]
Is there a way to share a folder/drive on a network, and any sub-folders
within it, without individually enabling each one?

That is exactly what happens. That is, if you share a directory, its
contents, including any subdirectories (recursively), are shared. However,
if the directory you share is on an NTFS partition, permissions on the
subdirectories may restrict access.

Alex

Old May 29th 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trev

"Steve Olive" wrote in message
Hi all.

I hope this isn't OT - most stuff here seems hardware related, but here
goes.

Is there a way to share a folder/drive on a network, and any sub-folders
within it, without individually enabling each one?

I've got a drive on one machine that I'd like browsable on my home
network, and I'm sure there must be a way to share it all?

You'd think that a quick Google would do this, but I couldn't find an
answer.

Cheers

I share my- My pictures with both my desktop and laptop from a external
HDD. I did share my docs but now I use synctoy to keep both computers in
sync with the backup on the external drive. So I have 3 copies. My picks,
music and vids are not in my docs just office and such