Freetalk setup help

Old May 30th 06, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave

Default Freetalk setup help

I've been using Freetalk for a few months now. Currently I have a
cable modem with a 4meg connection, connected to that is a Netgear
router and connected to the Netgear are 3 PCs, a Playstation 2 and my
freetalk box.

It has all been working fine, although I have noticed that when the
internet is being heavily used (p2p, large downloads, gaming, etc) the
quality of the voip drops a little (nothing too serious), obviously
this is to be expected.

Reading through the Freetalk adapter instruction manual I came across
this:

"We strongly recommend that you connect your SVA-600 directly to your
broadband modem and connect your switch, router or access point to the
LAN port of your phone (SVA-600). The SVA-600 performs essential
Quality Of Service (QoS) function that allow for superior voice
quality; placing any other device between the SVA-600 and your
broadband modem, the trafic on your local area network may reduce the
quality of your VoIP phone calls."

So should I connect the Freetalk box between the cable modem and the
router? Will this cause any problems with the PCs being double NAT'd?
I don't run any servers at all, although I am concerned it may
interfere with things like p2p, MSN messenger video chat, etc. The PS2
games require port forwarding to be set up to work properly.

I've had a look at the Freetalk box's interface and it seems pretty
simple to configure. Would it be best to place my router in the
freetalk box's DMZ?

Or should I forget it and leave it the way it is?

Thanks
Old May 31st 06, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
▀°dincÁs▓░░░

Recently, Dave popped out over the fence
around uk.telecom.voip and said...
|I've been using Freetalk for a few months now. Currently I have a
|cable modem with a 4meg connection, connected to that is a Netgear
|router and connected to the Netgear are 3 PCs, a Playstation 2 and my
|freetalk box.
|
|It has all been working fine, although I have noticed that when the
|internet is being heavily used (p2p, large downloads, gaming, etc) the
|quality of the voip drops a little (nothing too serious), obviously
|this is to be expected.
|
|Reading through the Freetalk adapter instruction manual I came across
|this:

|"We strongly recommend that you connect your SVA-600 directly to your
|broadband modem and connect your switch, router or access point to the
|LAN port of your phone (SVA-600). The SVA-600 performs essential
|Quality Of Service (QoS) function that allow for superior voice
|quality; placing any other device between the SVA-600 and your
|broadband modem, the trafic on your local area network may reduce the
|quality of your VoIP phone calls."
|
|So should I connect the Freetalk box between the cable modem and the
|router? Will this cause any problems with the PCs being double NAT'd?
|I don't run any servers at all, although I am concerned it may
|interfere with things like p2p, MSN messenger video chat, etc. The PS2
|games require port forwarding to be set up to work properly.
|
|I've had a look at the Freetalk box's interface and it seems pretty
|simple to configure. Would it be best to place my router in the
|freetalk box's DMZ?
|
|Or should I forget it and leave it the way it is?
|
|Thanks

If your router can be set to obey QOS parameters and priorities, leave
it as it is.
The suggested setup in the Freetalk manual is for dumb users who don't
know how to setup a router, so Freetalk customer service does not have
to deal with complaints about poor service quality.
Yes, if you set it up as they suggest the VoIP calls will be prioritized
but - as you already spotted out - the rest of the network can be
affected by lags, and some applications will suffer - or stop working at
all - with multiple NAT and/or PAT.
If it ain't broken... ;-)

--
▀°dincÁs▓░░░ - The Y2K Druid
Old May 31st 06, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave

On Wed, 31 May 2006 00:00:31 GMT, ▀°dincÁs▓░░░
wrote:

Recently, Dave popped out over the fence
around uk.telecom.voip and said...
|I've been using Freetalk for a few months now. Currently I have a
|cable modem with a 4meg connection, connected to that is a Netgear
|router and connected to the Netgear are 3 PCs, a Playstation 2 and my
|freetalk box.
|

|Thanks

If your router can be set to obey QOS parameters and priorities, leave
it as it is.
The suggested setup in the Freetalk manual is for dumb users who don't
know how to setup a router, so Freetalk customer service does not have
to deal with complaints about poor service quality.
Yes, if you set it up as they suggest the VoIP calls will be prioritized
but - as you already spotted out - the rest of the network can be
affected by lags, and some applications will suffer - or stop working at
all - with multiple NAT and/or PAT.
If it ain't broken... ;-)

That's the thing, my router doesn't support QoS at all. Although, I
think if 2 devices try to access the net at the same time they are
given an equal chance.

For test purposes, last night I maxed out my downstream connection
and made a call at the same time and the call quality was still good.

However, when I went into the interface for the freetalk box and had a
look at the stats for the test call the jitter rate was a lot higher..

Call with no other devices turned on:
Jitter average: 3 ms
Jitter maximum: 34 ms

Test call with download maxed out:
Jitter average: 12 ms
Jitter maximum: 101 ms

To be honest, the quality was still good and I didn't really notice a
difference. Not sure how it would be if the upstream was maxed out
too, but this will rarely happen so I think I'll leave it alone for
the time being.