Using a wireless router/modem to access TalkTalk's ADSL broadband

Old May 30th 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alasdair

Default Using a wireless router/modem to access TalkTalk's ADSL broadband

I have recently signed up with TalkTalk's broadband service. I
transferred my BT line across to them because they offer "free
broadband forever". So far I've not been able to get it although they
told me it would be on stream on 20th May.

Basically, I guess the problem is that I don't know how to configure
my modem/router properly.

All TalkTalk's instruction literature assumes that I shall be
connecting to the Internet using the modem and CD they supplied and
direct to my PC by cable. This is not so, as I shall be using a
Wireless modem/router (Netgear Model DG834PN) which I can then access
from any PC in the house.

Currently, I access the Internet using a cable modem and a Sitecom
wireless router and I have the necessary 802.11b/g adapter and
software installed on my PC. I don't want to install further software
on my PC unless I absolutely have to.

Can someone please advise me where to find the details necessary to
configure my Netgear router to access the TalkTalk service.

--
Alasdair.

Old May 30th 06, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JW

Alasdair wrote:
[...]

You need to enter your username and password into the
router, and make sure the a few other parameters are set-up
correctly.
DG834PN Support Page
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834PN.asp

First of all you need to establish a connection between PC
and Router, so you can configure it. The default address is
usually http://192.168.0.1
Old May 30th 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alasdair

On Tue, 30 May 2006 17:08:14 +0100, JW wrote:

You need to enter your username and password into the
router, and make sure the a few other parameters are set-up
correctly.

I can connect to the router OK using its username and password. The
problem is setting up the system so that the data gets from the phone
line to the router. Please, what are the "few other parameters" which
I need to know please?

--
Alasdair.
Old May 30th 06, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian

"Alasdair" wrote in message
[...]

It might be best to READ the instructions! If you don't understand how to
connect to the wireless router from your computer, I doubt you will be able
to enter the user name and password, then adjust the WPA-PSK settings on
your router and computer.
To connect, all you need is the user name and password. You could test it
out using a cheap USB modem and setting up a new connection.
You must be mad going for TalkTalk if you read the reviews about it. Speeds
are limited depending on the network shaping software used, there is no
decent news server and many ports are blocked so you will not be using
peer2peer software. It looks good on paper but is not good when you read
the small print.
I was amazed when the web site mentioned "unfortunately we have to charge a
one-off 29 set up fee". If they can't do it for free, people should refuse
to pay and it might make them think again.
Talk Talk is not a very good move. The price comparisons on the website
assume you actually WANT international calls when the truth is - people are
only paying extra to get the broadband.
You can get a much better deal with NTL/Telewest now anyway.

Old May 30th 06, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 30 May 2006, Alasdair wrote:

I can connect to the router OK using its username and password.

That gets you into the user interface of the router....

The problem is setting up the system so that the data gets from the phone
line to the router. Please, what are the "few other parameters" which
I need to know?

The login username and password for the TalkTalk service (where other
ISPs will often have something like for the
username and a string of characters for the password)... The bulk of
info would likely be similar to getting a connection on Plus.Net:
http://users.plus.net/QL:CE0D1DEE

Some routers have a "setup page" which only has entry fields for the
username and password, and some "save and reboot" button, and then a
link to "advanced settings" which might be needed.

Note most UK connections use the same settings for VPI and VCI (unless
using ADSL from Kingston Communications in the Hull area). HTH. Peter.
Old May 30th 06, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 30 May 2006, "Brian" wrote:

You can get a much better deal with NTL/Telewest now anyway.

That assumes you are in a cable service area. Not everyone is, though!
Old May 30th 06, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alasdair

On Tue, 30 May 2006 17:35:18 GMT, "Brian"
wrote:

You can get a much better deal with NTL/Telewest now anyway.

As it happens I have an NTL connection and I'm very happy with it.
However, I want a second connection for when NTL goes down as it does
from time to time.

--
Alasdair.
Old May 31st 06, 01:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JW

Alasdair wrote:
On Tue, 30 May 2006 17:08:14 +0100, JW wrote:

You need to enter your username and password into the
router, and make sure the a few other parameters are set-up
correctly.

I can connect to the router OK using its username and password. The
problem is setting up the system so that the data gets from the phone
line to the router. Please, what are the "few other parameters" which
I need to know please?

On the Netgear support page I linked to, there is an onward
link to ISP settings. TalkTalk isn't listed but nearly all
UK ISPs use the same settings. Encapsulation is PPPoA, VPI
is 0 and VCI is 38. You may find these are already set, by
default. TalkTalk ought to have sent this information to
you, along with the username and password for the login entry.

Once connected and powered on, the modem should sync with
the exchange. The light goes from flashing amber (while
training) to green. If the username/password is OK, the PPP
light should come on.
Old May 31st 06, 01:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alasdair

On Wed, 31 May 2006 00:20:21 +0100, JW wrote:

On the Netgear support page I linked to, there is an onward
link to ISP settings. TalkTalk isn't listed but nearly all
UK ISPs use the same settings. Encapsulation is PPPoA, VPI
is 0 and VCI is 38. You may find these are already set, by
default. TalkTalk ought to have sent this information to
you, along with the username and password for the login entry.

Once connected and powered on, the modem should sync with
the exchange. The light goes from flashing amber (while
training) to green. If the username/password is OK, the PPP
light should come on.

I've emailed Netgear support and wait for their response and may ring
them if none.

In the PPPoA setting, there is no field to enter the ISP's username
and password.

--
alasdair.

Old May 31st 06, 02:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Lee

"Alasdair" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 May 2006 00:20:21 +0100, JW wrote:

On the Netgear support page I linked to, there is an onward
link to ISP settings. TalkTalk isn't listed but nearly all
UK ISPs use the same settings. Encapsulation is PPPoA, VPI
is 0 and VCI is 38. You may find these are already set, by
default. TalkTalk ought to have sent this information to
you, along with the username and password for the login entry.

Once connected and powered on, the modem should sync with
the exchange. The light goes from flashing amber (while
training) to green. If the username/password is OK, the PPP
light should come on.

I've emailed Netgear support and wait for their response and may ring
them if none.

In the PPPoA setting, there is no field to enter the ISP's username
and password.

the only options there should be PPoA & PPoE. You should set it to PPoA.

As well as your username & password have TalkTalk not given you any other
user settings or info. on how to get online with them.

I'd begin the router setup using cable to ethernet rather than also having
to configure the wireless. If the line is correctly enabled the Netgear
router should automatically most of your settings.

Joe Lee

-
alasdair.